Ways to boost cell phone reception?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTK

I'm hoping to get some ideas from those who've been through this. I live in a very hilly area and my home sits on the side of a hill. Because of this, we're lucky to get a sporadic one bar of cell service on our property. Around 2yrs ago I negotiated a free Samsung network extender through our cell phone provider Verizon Wireless. I'm not a mega Tech guy, but it basically uses your high speed internet and a GPS signal to get you a full boat of cell signal. When it works, it's awesome. It's worked sporadically the 2+ years I've owned the device. If the extender looses GPS signal, it gives you a warning light indication and eventually stops working. You re-position it's antenna and you're typically good to go. For the past month or two, I've been battling a "system" light on the extender which renders it useless. I can't find a solution after pouring over all the info on the interwebs I can find. Apparently people have lots of problems with these devices.

Aside from moving (not happening..LOL), are there other more reliable signal boosting options? I appreciate your help on this!

Last edited:
Are you out in the Southtowns (East Aurora/Holland/etc.)? Pretty hilly and remote out there.

I used to have that wi-fi boost through Sprint and it wasn't worth a darn.

Who's your carrier?

Java, best I can tell, wifi calling isn't an option with the iPhone 5C's and 5S on my plan.

Chris- Yes, I live in West Falls. Carrier is VZW.

I believe you are correct, you have to have an iPhone 6 or newer to have this feature.

I have it with my Galaxy S5. My wife and daughter have iPhone 6 phones, so they have it as well.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
No it works on the 5S (and I think the 5C) but it is carrier specific. It works on Sprint for sure.

Not on our Verizon 5c's and 5s. Option not included in settings.

At my old house I had terrible reception as I had tall buildings around me and I lived on the ground floor of the building. I installed a repeater and this boosted my cell phone reception from one bar to three bars. It was not the greatest but it worked for me.

http://www.wilsonsignalbooster.com/

Years ago we had bad reception too (tower too far away) and Sprint sent us an Airave (femtocell) for free. It might be worth asking your carrier if they would do the same.

Originally Posted By: JTK
Not on our Verizon 5c's and 5s. Option not included in settings.

Yeah, it's carrier specific then. On both those phones (Sprint) it is under Settings ---> Phone. You do need iOS 10 I do believe.

Originally Posted By: JTK
I'm hoping to get some ideas from those who've been through this. I live in a very hilly area and my home sits on the side of a hill. Because of this, we're lucky to get a sporadic one bar of cell service on our property. Around 2yrs ago I negotiated a free Samsung network extender through our cell phone provider Verizon Wireless. I'm not a mega Tech guy, but it basically uses your high speed internet and a GPS signal to get you a full boat of cell signal. When it works, it's awesome. It's worked sporadically the 2+ years I've owned the device. If the extender looses GPS signal, it gives you a warning light indication and eventually stops working. You re-position it's antenna and you're typically good to go. For the past month or two, I've been battling a "system" light on the extender which renders it useless. I can't find a solution after pouring over all the info on the interwebs I can find. Apparently people have lots of problems with these devices.

Aside from moving (not happening..LOL), are there other more reliable signal boosting options? I appreciate your help on this!

Is moving an option?

Samsung S6 here with AT&T that has recently added wifi calling. Previously had Sprint and used wifi calling but the quality was lacking (people complained of lag and echo).

Do you have any friends that come over with cell phone from another provider to compare signal strength?

If you already have high speed Internet why do you need a strong cell signal? Why not just use a land line for calls and your high speed Internet for the rest?

Also, Verizon is the least friendly provider when it comes to WiFi calling. I'd strongly consider changing carriers, and phones as well. If it's that important to you. But separate calling and data ability seem available to you, so that seems a better option.

Originally Posted By: dlayman
If you already have high speed Internet why do you need a strong cell signal? Why not just use a land line for calls and your high speed Internet for the rest?

Also, Verizon is the least friendly provider when it comes to WiFi calling. I'd strongly consider changing carriers, and phones as well. If it's that important to you. But separate calling and data ability seem available to you, so that seems a better option.

Yea get an Ooma Telo . Should only cost you under $6 a month.

Originally Posted By: dlayman

My goal is to drop services. Our land-line through TWC is excellent, but it's expensive. I realize VoIP is an option. I've had VoIP phone services in the past, but it was 12+ years ago and before the days of a land line through your cable provider.

So what I'm gathering here, short of lifting my home 100ft in the air, having wifi calling ability or getting a Samsung network extender that actually works, I'm SOL.

At my home the old school signal for flip phones and iPhone 5/5c or less the signal is terrible on Verizon. They put up a new tower close however did not help the folks with old phones. However with voice over LTE the quality is on par if not superior to a landline.

Do you have LTE in your home?

Last edited:
Verizon now supports voice over wifi.

If you're in your home with a new(er) phone, you should always have reception with the feature turned on.

If your stuck in a contract I can understand your dilemma, if not stuck in a contract why not go to a cell company that offers a phone and a service that will work with WiFi?
It should be the phone company problem for them to fix, since they provide the service, it shouldnt be your headache.

And the suggestion to go to Ooma is a solid suggestion. Less then $6 a month gives you the same call quality as TWC or ANY other landline/voip service.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back