Lube Tech Doing Your Airbag Recall Repair?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I worked as a tire/ lube tech. I was conscientious and looking forward to advancing my career. An injury made me think twice.

I have removed my own airbags to fix stuff in the steering column. Not much to it. It's an inside job; no corrosion. Fasteners come right apart.

Bagging on people b/c they make $10 an hour doing HONEST WORK and questioning the quality is NOT COOL.

Originally Posted By: tenderloin
People making far more than $10 an hour designed and spec'd a system that is failing...

And your perfect......
smirk.gif

Originally Posted By: eljefino
I worked as a tire/ lube tech. I was conscientious and looking forward to advancing my career. An injury made me think twice.

I have removed my own airbags to fix stuff in the steering column. Not much to it. It's an inside job; no corrosion. Fasteners come right apart.

Bagging on people b/c they make $10 an hour doing HONEST WORK and questioning the quality is NOT COOL.

Sorry to offend, I was one of those people making the $10.55 an hour working evenings at Canadian Tire when I went to mechanics class during the day doing an 1,800 hour (about 1 year 10 months of school) for a DEP (French for a Professional Diploma in Quebec).

I have been on all sides of what I am discussing as you are, the mixed emotions in what I am writing about is me relaying the Quebec experience in words, so I am really hard to follow and I apologize.

I can only really say people are being exploited, careers are being diminished, while a garage owner gets fatter, while the owner of the car has fewer guarantees a lube tech can pull off this simple repair, and my words are coming out a bit jaundiced and it would take quite a while to turn around what I said to actually make sense.

And as a student I myself was glad to do drum brakes in the evenings making minimum wage to learn and grow.

Not banging on any hard workers, but I don't really know what this type of thing would do to the profession (or professions for that matter) if things get handled this way more and more.

Not to mention the car owner seeing the least benefit in all of this.

I hate to say it, but I don't think the bashing is warranted. It's a very specific job and not too complicated. As someone else said, watch some youtube video on how to remove the steering wheel. It's a pretty straightforward operation, are the people commenting also ones that don't do their own brakes? It's probably a simpler operation, probably disconnect the battery, take the screws off and then remove the air bag connectors and then the airbag itself and then replace.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back