GM 5.3 L, 4L60E shifting worries

Status
Not open for further replies.
Under light throttle I seem to be getting a longer lag in the 1-2 shift followed by a what I'd say is a gentle but more noticeable "thunk" than usual. More initial throttle input with faster acceleration lessens this tendency even to non-existent most of the time. I always worry in these cases I might be talking myself into feeling something that may have been there already but ... it has gotten my attention. Would appreciate your thoughts.

Originally Posted By: RedOakRanch
Miles, typical use, service history, weather?

Lifetime of easy use, 130k miles, no towing, fluid and filter 2 years old, 20,000 miles or so, Redline full 14 quart flush/replace. Any possibility that the syn has released a lot of crud from likely dealer-only service prior to 100K miles? Little old lady driver owner prior to 100K. Southeast US registry and use since new.

Last edited:
Mine gets that way under 30°. Also torque converter won't lock up for 5 miles or so.

This one seems only dependent on the throttle preesure in all temp conditions. Light foot equals more slip and thunk. Not terrible but I wouldn't want to see it get any worse.

Sadly I'd take it to a trusted shop for review.

Wouldn't hurt would it? I'd hate to do a drain, refill and filter only to find that the problem is still there.

Same tranny in my 6.0 AWD. Same issues. Recently opened mine up to replace filter. Ball bearing in the pan ugh... Not sure which one, some of them are delays for shifting. So I know the valve body needs work. Not hugely expensive. Its real easy to do an exchange its the top left hose. Same issues but I think the transfer case is the real culprit, Adding some lubegard this weekend for rough shifts to tranny.

If i was me I would do a 2 gal exchange and a 1qt lubegard for the shifting solenoids. see what happens

If its a 99-05 I wouldn't worry about it till it fails, the sun shell will probably be the failure that knocks it out. At 130K its at those miles, its not a question of if just when.

I wonder if its the computer programming that makes these things shift sloppy. I can barely feel mine shifting and i dont like that. Shifts should be snappy. They program a lot of overlap that creates heat and wear.

You could try disconnecting the battery and let it relearn.

We have raised and killed a lot of these powertrains in vans and pickups.

IME here, the 4L60E comes in two flavors. One fails, another doesn't. We still have one in the family with about 200k miles on it. It tows, It hauls nine of us around, it just keeps going and going. Never been treated special, a real workhorse.

It has had a funky 1-2 shift for years...

Recently picked up a 2003 suburban with the 4L60 and harsh shifting. I did a pan drop and clean along with filter change..and filled with Maxlife ATF. Immediate change in shifting and became smooth. Mine has over 200K and for now it shifts like new.

I also disconnected the battery while doing this for the ECM to relearn. So perhaps there was stored info for shifting that got fixed with the relearn.

Mine gets that way under 30°. Also torque converter won't lock up for 5 miles or so.

most are programmed to not lock up until water temp is above some temp, usually 160 or 170F

Rod

Thank you everyone for taking time to respond. I'm going to do a drain and fill and then I'll report back. We'll see.

Originally Posted By: krismoriah72
Recently picked up a 2003 suburban with the 4L60 and harsh shifting. I did a pan drop and clean along with filter change..and filled with Maxlife ATF. Immediate change in shifting and became smooth. Mine has over 200K and for now it shifts like new.

I also disconnected the battery while doing this for the ECM to relearn. So perhaps there was stored info for shifting that got fixed with the relearn.

For Krismoriah72 - Did you just add the one gallon or so refill or replace it all?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back