GM recommends Mobil 1 15w50 for 2016 Corvette

Status
Not open for further replies.
For decades, GM owners manuals (including for the Corvette) have specified 5w30 with "warnings" not to use 10w40, 20w50 or other weights. Look what is in the 2016 Corvette owners manual. Is GM finally admitting that under certain conditions, something thicker than 5w30 is required?

Are you reading what Im reading? It says "track events or competitive driving". That specifically means off-road, and a very restricted set of scenarios. The way it is written could also imply that the higher viscosity is needed only if the light comes on, though that's a stretch.

For normal, legal use on road, there is no reason to run 15w50 it seems...

Heck,owning a Corvette would mean competitive driving anytime you drive it haha. I couldn't imagine putting around town like a lil old lady in one. I'd never run a CAFE oil in a high power muscle car. I'd run the 50wt rec all the time,plus M1 15W50 is dirt cheap. This just goes to further prove that thin oils are for CAFE ONLY and thicker does protect better,or else it'd say "For track or competitive driving,use Mobil 1 0W20".

Originally Posted By: Ohle_Manezzini
I think that the writeup on the manual isn't "may use if" the light goes on, it is USE 15w50, mandatory.

The light could come on with both the weights mentioned or any weight of oil I would think. Competitive driving might include Atlanta traffic.
grin.gif
Just kidding but those of us who "grew up" with 20-50 after it was handed down from Moses will desperately reach out for vindication. Good stuff though if filtration is optional.....

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Heck,owning a Corvette would mean competitive driving anytime you drive it haha. I couldn't imagine putting around town like a lil old lady in one. I'd never run a CAFE oil in a high power muscle car. I'd run the 50wt rec all the time,plus M1 15W50 is dirt cheap. This just goes to further prove that thin oils are for CAFE ONLY and thicker does protect better,or else it'd say "For track or competitive driving,use Mobil 1 0W20".

I'd say you hit the nail right on the head.
thumbsup2.gif

This has been the case for some time. Here's from 2014 manual:

Viscosity Grade
SAE 5W-30 is the best viscosity
grade for the vehicle. Do not use
other viscosity grade oils such as
SAE 10W-30, 10W-40, or 20W-50.
For track events or competitive
driving, use Mobil 1®15W-50
engine oil. An instrument cluster
warning light will be illuminated at
high oil temperatures.

Originally Posted By: CT8
GM must not have read oil 101 !

Old or new 101? Did they know it was updated. The old 101 suggested running straight 10 grade oil was adequate at operating temps for most any car out there...even a Ferrari.

I don't beat the snot out of my LS engine so a 0w-40 grade is a nice in between for me.

What their essentially saying is during hard driving and track use that oil is recommended. Meaning if you run it around town and daily it or something occasionally get on it don't use it.

People at gm that make these decisions make six figures I'm sure they know what their talking about. During normal driving situations pre lube and bypass system is better investment then running thick oil like that.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
Originally Posted By: CT8
GM must not have read oil 101 !

Old or new 101? Did they know it was updated. The old 101 suggested running straight 10 grade oil was adequate at operating temps for most any car out there...even a Ferrari.

I don't beat the snot out of my LS engine so a 0w-40 grade is a nice in between for me.
I have been reading the update posts I didn't know it changed so the old oil 101.

Yes but that said, the corvette engines, while impressive, arent particularly power dense.

They are V8 engines. 6.2L, 450-650hp or so...

That's 72-105 HP/L

My Honda Accord Hybrid puts out 70.5 HP/L... Should I run M1 15w-50 in it when Im going to be driving fast/hard on the interstate???

My 135i puts out 100 HP/L. It requires an LL-01 oil. It also has known high oil temperatures. Should I take that up to a 50wt for driving fast from stop light to stop light?

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Yes but that said, the corvette engines, while impressive, arent particularly power dense.

They are V8 engines. 6.2L, 450-650hp or so...

That's 72-105 HP/L

My Honda Accord Hybrid puts out 70.5 HP/L... Should I run M1 15w-50 in it when Im going to be driving fast/hard on the interstate???

My 135i puts out 100 HP/L. It requires an LL-01 oil. It also has known high oil temperatures. Should I take that up to a 50wt for driving fast from stop light to stop light?

But,GM and Ford is "requiring" a 50 weight. Now if Honda (or the maker that mfg's your 135i requires a 50 weight) then yes,you should use it. Maybe those makers aren't marketing those two cars toward's grass roots racers like GM and Ford does their hi po cars. The Focus RS requires a 50 wt too. Every Corvette and Mustang driver I see always beats the heck out of their cars.

A high HP V8 will push oil out of rod and main bearing surfaces more than most 4 cylinder engines will see. Exceptions would be high HP 4 cylinder engines. Even then, most 4 cylinder engines do not share a rod bearing surface like V8 engines where oil can squeeze out under extreme pressure. The stronger the bang and greater the load, the greater the pressure on the bearings.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Are you reading what Im reading? It says "track events or competitive driving". That specifically means off-road, and a very restricted set of scenarios. The way it is written could also imply that the higher viscosity is needed only if the light comes on, though that's a stretch.

For normal, legal use on road, there is no reason to run 15w50 it seems...

That tells me GM recommends to their customers to drive their 800 horsepower Corvettes very conservatively if they're using 5W-30. Stay under 2000 revolutions per minute and don't go over 30 miles per hour. That's the way I interpret it.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

I'd say you hit the nail right on the head.
thumbsup2.gif

+1

There is nothing you can do around town in a Corvette (or just about any car) that will put it under the stresses it would see on track.

robert

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back