Change to P-Metric for Small SUVs

Status
Not open for further replies.
The current RAV4 model has been in production since the 2013 model year. Years 2013-2016 used 225/65R/17 102H tires at 33 psi. The 2017 year uses P225/65R/17 102T tires at 33 psi.

Does that mean if I want to replace tires for a 2013 RAV4 I can use P225/65R/17 102T tires?

When I saw that the RAV4 now uses P-metric tires I looked at what was being installed on Honda CR-V and Ford Escape. Both now use P-metric tires, they used Euro-metric before.

Ian

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=24

"Euro-metric and P-metric tires in the same size (i.e. P225/60R16 & 225/60R16) are equivalent in their dimensions with just slight differences in their load capacity calculations and inflation pressure tables. So if Euro-metric and P-metric tires have the same numeric size, the same tire performance category and the same speed rating, the two are considered equivalent and interchangeable if used in axle pairs or sets of four."

I was under the impression that SUVs are considered light trucks so would require a P-metric tire to be de-rated by 1.1 in order to be used in place of a Euro-metric tire. E.g. if a pickup truck uses a P-metric tire rated at 1,100 lb it would be de-rated to 1,000 lb when used on the truck.

For the RAV4 I believe the tire load capacity at 33 psi is greater than the maximum axle load even after the tire load capacity has been de-rated by 1.1. It may be tough to convince the tire retailer that the P-metric tire is suitable for the RAV4 when the RAV4 tire nameplate says to use Euro-metric tires.

Ian

Originally Posted By: IanInCalgary
I was under the impression that SUVs are considered light trucks so would require a P-metric tire to be de-rated by 1.1 in order to be used in place of a Euro-metric tire. E.g. if a pickup truck uses a P-metric tire rated at 1,100 lb it would be de-rated to 1,000 lb when used on the truck.

For the RAV4 I believe the tire load capacity at 33 psi is greater than the maximum axle load even after the tire load capacity has been de-rated by 1.1. It may be tough to convince the tire retailer that the P-metric tire is suitable for the RAV4 when the RAV4 tire nameplate says to use Euro-metric tires.

Ian

Nobody told that to our local Toyota dealer when we bought our CPO RAV4 earlier this year. It showed up wearing a fresh set of P-metric tires.

Unless the individual working at your tire retailer is really, incredibly anal, I wouldn't worry about it. And, if the computer says it fits, they'll okay the sale.

Worst case put the vehicle up on 4 jackstands and take the tires/wheels in loose.

Originally Posted By: IanInCalgary

Ian

Ah ..... Mmmmmmm .... Not exactly.

For practical purposes, P metric, Eurometric and other forms of hard metric passenger car tires are considered equivalent by the tire industry. Put another way, they are constructed exactly the same. It's just that those differences in the load curves and how they are expressed makes it appear they are different.

So, No!, it's not that only P metric tires get derated 10%. It's that P metric tires explicitly call for this, and the rest follow suit without being specifically called out. Besides, it is in the regulations for the vehicle type.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back