Lube Tech Doing Your Airbag Recall Repair?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Then you should be happy.
grin2.gif

"When we allow the lube techs to do simpler warranty work, they turn out to have the best fix-it-right-the-first-time scores of any of our technicians," he said. "The amount they get paid and the reimbursement to the dealer are increased."

Lube technicians who complete Mazda's training program will be qualified to perform the Takata inflator replacements, Davis said. That will free up more-experienced technicians to tackle tougher repairs.

The web-based courses are taught by Mazda employees or contract instructors. Teaching occurs online at a technician's own pace or in virtual classes that use videos and linked computer monitors.

http://www.autonews.com/article/20160815/RETAIL05/308159978/1434

Considering the components of the devise surprised they don't need a FEL with HS clearance. Glad they don't and the problem is being fixed.

The problem isn't finding techs to do the work it is getting the parts for the repair. It was so nice of Honda to send out letters saying the vehicle could kill you if you hit a big enough turkey at 10 mph, but don't worry parts won't be available until next year.
mad.gif

Interesting. I wonder what psychology is at work here. Is it that lube techs are excited about the possibility of better work? a change of pace? worried about flubbing the job, so they pay absolute attention to doing it as the book says?

In general, the lowest cost person at the least training level required is going to do whatever work is required on a vehicle. The guy with 30 years training is a bit overkill for an oil change. The hardest part of an airbag swap has got to be with dealing with interior clips I'd think--no diagnosis required, just unplug, plug in replacement, plug in the scanner and make sure it passes diagnostic testing.

Up in Canada I don't think you would be able to do an airbag R&R, unless you have a mechanic apprenticeship card at least.

I have done a few in school when I was working towards my Diploma.

I think it is unsuitable to hand this to a Lube Tech 100%.

Let them master a basic oil change first as a milestone, then when they have some credentials this would be a good stepping stone for them.

Industry is just taking advantage of paying under-qualified people to do a Mechanics job.

I can amputate someone's leg, and the person would most likely live if I do a bit of online research first.

It's simple, just follow the steps... It wouldn't make me a surgeon though.

IMO, the most difficult thing in this work is actually the inability to test the end product which means deploying the air bag.

I hope the diagnostic can make sure that it is deployed when needed.

It is not like writing a program or app when you can run it to see if it works as intended and fix it as necessary over and over again till everything is correct.

These aren't that complicated of a repair. When you do the same car over and over again it makes sense to have the lube tech flagging $18 an hour do it over a line tech flagging $28-30 an hour do it. Remember, you aren't replacing the entire airbag on these recalls, just the infaltor.

The most complicated part about the whole thing is getting the parts here. They are usually not yet available in our area, or in Mazda's case, we are not allowed to stock the parts. We have to order them for each VIN and cannot re-order if another dealer has ordered for that VIN previously.

Also at least at my dealer, they give a lot of the repairs to a lube tech who has been trying to prove he can do more. He is pretty pumped to have something like this that he can do without having someone watch over him. He is a good kid who will do well in life, just needs to prove to management that he is worth sending out for training.

A lube tech up here in Montreal makes $10.55 an hour.

They mess up basic stuff at an alarming rate.

The nice thing about the air bag is if they forget to plug the connector together you will have a dash warning light up.

I guess if they remove the negative battery terminal and isolate it with a rag or something not much can go wrong if they know to wait for the capacitor to bleed off it's charge (15 mins+ IIRC).

I do feel it is exploitation of a minimum wage employee that devalues a mechanics job though, which to me is a big problem.

And I am sure this cost savings doesn't get passed on to anyone but gets pocketed by the shop owner who is laughing all the way to the bank.

Then when the lube tech one day becomes a mechanic, he gets to see how this exploitation harms his ability to earn a living wage.

Great-now we are second guessing the way dealers run their operation. No matter who makes the repair-you get a warranty.

Obviously, the factory feels this is a simple repair that can be performed by someone who is not necessarily a mechanic.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Falken

The nice thing about the air bag is if they forget to plug the connector together you will have a dash warning light up.

I guess if they remove the negative battery terminal and isolate it with a rag or something not much can go wrong if they know to wait for the capacitor to bleed off it's charge (15 mins+ IIRC).

I do feel it is exploitation of a minimum wage employee that devalues a mechanics job though, which to me is a big problem.

And I am sure this cost savings doesn't get passed on to anyone but gets pocketed by the shop owner who is laughing all the way to the bank.

Then when the lube tech one day becomes a mechanic, he gets to see how this exploitation harms his ability to earn a living wage.

I make zero an hour fixing my vehicles... as do most DIY'ers.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: CKN
Great-now we are second guessing the way dealers run their operation. No matter who makes the repair-you get a warranty.

Obviously, the factory feels this is a simple repair that can be performed by someone who is not necessarily a mechanic.

Especially when you are doing a bunch of them a day. They give a procedure in the recall.

When I read the announcement my first thought was "how are the guys trained and certified as mechanics supposed to feel about these jobs being relegated to lube techs?" It's like allowing nurses to perform surgery.

But it makes sense that the job is likely straightforward, especially when it gets repetitious, and any mistake would set off the air bag warning light, thus ensuring a proper installation.

Originally Posted By: supton
Originally Posted By: Falken

I make zero an hour fixing my vehicles... as do most DIY'ers.
21.gif

As my Grandfather used to tell my Mother: "It isn't what you make, but what you save."

smile.gif

Oh, and just to be clear: They earn $10.55 an hour Canadian dollars, and our tax rate is very high, with 15% sales tax.

They are earning almost nothing doing mechanics entry level work.

With our food prices I feel badly for them if they rely on the income outside of pursuing studies or living at home.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back