Peek inside a Mercedes SLK 230 Kompressor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picked up one of these with 187,000 miles. It is running on two cylinders. The owners did not know anything about cars. History unknown. Body is clean, the interior is a wreck. On the phone they told me that it had an issue with sputtering that made accelerating more difficult.
eek.gif
I don't think they drove it around like that very long.

30096539673_bfa60d20f9_o.jpg

Sounds like a Wheeler Dealer project. Ed China, where are you? Is this new sales technique? "Yes we own it, no we don't know a thing about it that might scare you off".

Good call HerrStig. Definitely a wheeler dealer project car. The inside of that motor is toasted for sure.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Sounds like a Wheeler Dealer project. Ed China, where are you? Is this new sales technique? "Yes we own it, no we don't know a thing about it that might scare you off".

+1

The previous owners were definitely uninformed. I knew that when I saw the Hillary bumper sticker.
whistle.gif
We will see what happens, cylinders 2 and 3 are the problem and they run off the same coil pack. A replacement should be here soon. I snagged it for $500, which is what they just paid for new tires. Should make a cool supercharged beater car if I get it running. Suspension is very tight and the brakes are new all around.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Good call HerrStig. Definitely a wheeler dealer project car. The inside of that motor is toasted for sure.

Toasted, with varnish?

Originally Posted By: Gasbuggy
The previous owners were definitely uninformed. I knew that when I saw the Hillary bumper sticker.
whistle.gif
We will see what happens, cylinders 2 and 3 are the problem and they run off the same coil pack. A replacement should be here soon. I snagged it for $500, which is what they just paid for new tires. Should make a cool supercharged beater car if I get it running. Suspension is very tight and the brakes are new all around.

Toasted, with varnish?

My son took a gamble on a 633CSI which turned out to be in better condition that we expected. Hope you have the same luck.

nothing through that filler hole indicates a failure. I see an appropriate amount of varnish for the age, no sludge, no visible (show the VW reel) galling of the cam surface. 2 missing cyls could easily be coil pack failures, possibly aggravated by worn plugs. I think this would be a really neat project to put back on the road as a small commuter!

The inside of that motor is toasted for sure.

No way you could know that by just peeking in the oil filler hole...

OP: Compression test?

Wait, WHAT?
Why?

Looks pretty good to me besides a little varnish.

Originally Posted By: Brons2

No way you could know that by just peeking in the oil filler hole...

OP: Compression test?

I may do one, it would be very easy. Plugs 2&3 (bosch) looked like they had about 20k on them, no oil or deposits (good sign). Ran a free carfax, I see a full trans replacement in the history. No complaints about that.

Originally Posted By: heynow

Wait, WHAT?
Why?

Looks pretty good to me besides a little varnish.

Do supercharged engines tend to produce more varnish?

Check the engine wiring harness, the Germans use biodegradable insulation - heat and rodents destroy it. Also change the supercharger oil - Mercedes specified Mobil Jet Oil II, use that or it's BP equivalent. You can get the stuff online.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back