Dorman Rear Lateral Arms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Need to replace on my 99 Toyota Avalon. Bushings shot and I can not stand the noise. Factory arms are about $125 per side. Only aftermarket I can find are Dorman at $50 per side. I am inclined to go factory because I have no I experience with Dorman suspension parts. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Dorman always seems to be hit or miss. People either say their stuff is as good as OE replacements, or complete junk.

I generally try to avoid dorman stuff. Too many people with bad experiences.

Looks like Moog and Beck Arnley both make/rebox them. Look on Rockauto.com.

If you're going to keep the car I'd shy away from Dorman. Especially when you have to pay for an alignment.

Last edited:
Rock only sells Dorman. Moog is available only in their value line (RK) and BA is made in Taiwan. Bet their isn't a spits worth of difference among the three of them all selling at $35-40. Think I will go factory.

OE is the way to go.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: artbuc
Rock only sells Dorman. Moog is available only in their value line (RK) and BA is made in Taiwan. Bet their isn't a spits worth of difference among the three of them all selling at $35-40. Think I will go factory.

Do you know for a fact that the BA part is made in Taiwan? Maybe you already did this, but if you email them with the part number they'll tell you the COO.

Having said that, Taiwan has a far better track record of quality than China. I've received a couple BA parts that were from Taiwan that fit and worked well. Out of those three aftermarket choices I might give the BA part a shot.

Of course, you know the factory part will work, so no one would blame you for getting that part.

I saw multiple brands for your year/make on Rockauto. You're wrong about the quality. HUGE difference between "made in china" (Dorman) and "made in taiwan" BA.

Originally Posted By: stephen9666

Do you know for a fact that the BA part is made in Taiwan? Maybe you already did this, but if you email them with the part number they'll tell you the COO.

Having said that, Taiwan has a far better track record of quality than China. I've received a couple BA parts that were from Taiwan that fit and worked well. Out of those three aftermarket choices I might give the BA part a shot.

Of course, you know the factory part will work, so no one would blame you for getting that part.

When it comes to hand tools, "Made in taiwan" tools have always been good to me whereas "made in china" often were junk. Huge difference between the two.

BA just came back and said due to contract they can not divulge manufacturer, only COO. They did say part is made to OEM specs. Price is higher at $60-75 making BA about midway between factory and Dorman/Moog. Think I will give BA a go. Thanks for your help.

Update: found B/A arms on Rockauto when I searched by part number. Rock has best price by far so I got them. They should be good enough as I drive less than 5k miles per year and hopefully will get a new car in 3 years to celebrate my 70th BD. She will be 20 and is looking forward to retirement.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
BA just came back and said due to contract they can not divulge manufacturer, only COO.

What was the country of origin?

Taiwan.

Probably similar to Mevotech, I wouldn't touch it. The problem is when buying something like this online is if it doesn't work out you have a real fiasco ahead of you and you usually end up buying the OE anyway while jumping through hoops getting them to pay the return post and give you a refund.
Been there, done that once and that was enough for me. Many times OE is cheaper in the long run.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Probably similar to Mevotech, I wouldn't touch it. The problem is when buying something like this online is if it doesn't work out you have a real fiasco ahead of you and you usually end up buying the OE anyway while jumping through hoops getting them to pay the return post and give you a refund.
Been there, done that once and that was enough for me. Many times OE is cheaper in the long run.

Trav, I also strongly prefer OEM. Very few parts on my old girl are aftermarket but she is 17 years old and I am only asking for another three years and maybe 15k miles. I suspect the B/A parts will handle that. Five years ago I would not even considered going aftermarket but hard to justify now.

Last edited:
I agree a 1000% that paying for OE parts on a car that age and getting close to EOL is difficult to justify.
My only concern with any suspension part that can alter the suspension geometry like control arms, trailing arms, etc is if they are not spot on the car wont track right, have possible tire wear issues and need a time/money wasting redo.
I have run into this a few times over the years and its no fun doing the job twice. Try them they will probable be fine but if not don't be too surprised.
11.gif

Originally Posted By: Trav
I agree a 1000% that paying for OE parts on a car that age and getting close to EOL is difficult to justify.
My only concern with any suspension part that can alter the suspension geometry like control arms, trailing arms, etc is if they are not spot on the car wont track right, have possible tire wear issues and need a time/money wasting redo.
I have run into this a few times over the years and its no fun doing the job twice. Try them they will probable be fine but if not don't be too surprised.
11.gif

This part is an adjustable (for toe) lateral arm so no worries re changing geometry as you would have with a lower control arm. It is just a straight adjustable length rod with bushings on each end. If I needed a new LCA I would either install new bushings or spring for OEM, even this close to EOL.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Can't you just replace the bushings and reuse the existing control arms?

The only bushings I could find are Febest and the description did not give me confidence they would fit. Also, the cost of these bushings is to close to the cost of new arms to make it worth my while.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back