best vw oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Best oil for mk 4 jetta 1.8t and 2.0 both gas the 1.8t is not driven much at all maybe 50 miles a week if that need a oil to protect for less use and the 2.0 is a daily driver using mobil 1 0w 40 engine seems to run a little rougher now thinking about motul or liqui moly which would you choose and which product line both cars have a little over 100k

Last edited:
mobil 0w 40 or castrol 0w 40. If the engine is running rough, its not due to the brand of oil especially if it meets the specs for your car, 502?

Originally Posted By: spasm3
mobil 0w 40 or castrol 0w 40. If the engine is running rough, its not due to the brand of oil especially if it meets the specs for your car, 502?

Agreed, it's highly unlikely that the oil is causing rough running, unless it's olive oil!

VW specs are confusing because some relate to viscosity. So the one concerned might only list 30 grades in their approved list. Of course the VW forum folks will insist that with older VW engines and TDI ones in particular, an 0 or 5w40 is best and some will even mention that you get better UOA results from a major brand HDEO.

I always recommend that when selecting a major brand oil you should use the oil finder or guide page of the relevant web site to see what Mobil, Castrol, Shell Sopus group (Inc Penn), Valvoline or Liqui Moly recommend.
If you have an older car the Shell oil guide is out of date on occasions, so will list the original OEM spec recommended oil, which in my case is Helix HX 7 10w40 (Acea A3/B4). That's cos OEM was Magnetec 10w40 (A3/B4), BUT Castrol changed that listed oil to Edge 0w40 (In Germany) or Edge 5w40 (UK), both A3/B4 oils.
I asked Shell R&D which oil they trhought was best and they insisted it would be Ultra 0 or 5w40 (A3/B4).

Be careful if you use Motul oils as only their top of the range German standard (Group 4) full synthetics oils are good, the rest are just cheap junk oils only suitable for non turbo engines and short OCI's.

Last edited:
I bought a bunch of Castrol Professional OE 5W-40 from my local dealership. I had that $500 credit card that VW sent to their TDI customers who are affected by the vehicle buyback.

I thought this oil was just an overpriced dealership item that offered nothing over what was available at the big box stores but I changed the oil in my Nissan pickup with this stuff and it immediately quieted the engine down. I'm not easily impressed with things but I think this OE Professional oil is going to become my new go-to.

I have several 6-qt/liter boxes of the LL-03 5W-30 and 5 boxes of the OE Professional 5W-40. My 504/507 requirements and my 502/505 requirements will be met for a few change intervals.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: UltrafanUK

Be careful if you use Motul oils as only their top of the range German standard (Group 4) full synthetics oils are good, the rest are just cheap junk oils only suitable for non turbo engines and short OCI's.

So which of Motul's oils are group IV full synthetics?

Originally Posted By: youb824
Best oil for mk 4 jetta 1.8t and 2.0 both gas the 1.8t is not driven much at all maybe 50 miles a week if that need a oil to protect for less use and the 2.0 is a daily driver using mobil 1 0w 40 engine seems to run a little rougher now thinking about motul or liqui moly which would you choose and which product line both cars have a little over 100k

Shell Rotella T6 or Chevron Delo 400 LE.

you'll have to diagnose why the engine seems to run a little rougher, which may be deteriorated engine & transmissions mounts. The stock mounts are not that good for durability to begin with in the first place.

Originally Posted By: FowVay
I'm not easily impressed with things but I think this OE Professional oil is going to become my new go-to.

FYI, this is the same oil as Castrol Edge 5w-40 that's available at most retail stores.

It is thicker both at 40C as well as at 100C, compared to something like M1 0w-40. Maybe that partially accounts for quieting down of your engine?

I bought a bunch of Castrol Professional OE 5W-40 from my local dealership. I had that $500 credit card that VW sent to their TDI customers who are affected by the vehicle buyback.

I thought this oil was just an overpriced dealership item that offered nothing over what was available at the big box stores but I changed the oil in my Nissan pickup with this stuff and it immediately quieted the engine down. I'm not easily impressed with things but I think this OE Professional oil is going to become my new go-to.

I have several 6-qt/liter boxes of the LL-03 5W-30 and 5 boxes of the OE Professional 5W-40. My 504/507 requirements and my 502/505 requirements will be met for a few change intervals.
smile.gif

You are right there. Reason why it quieted down Nissan is bcs. Nissan is specd. for lighter oil.
That Castrol 5W40 I avoid like a plague.

Originally Posted By: youb824

Use engine oil meeting Volkswagen Oil Standard 502 00.

Originally Posted By: edyvw

smile.gif

You are right there. Reason why it quieted down Nissan is bcs. Nissan is specd. for lighter oil.

Curious to know why you avoid it.

Originally Posted By: TXCarGeek

Because it is more expensive than Castrol 0W-40 and inferior. Literally no reason to go out of your way to use it.

Originally Posted By: TXCarGeek

smile.gif

Compare to other oils it is below average in that category. It has pretty high NOACK of 12.4%. Now Castrol I think lowered it to 11%, which is not an achievement.
You can buy within 2 miles much better oils then that. Also, I have not see one TSI engine maintained in VW that does not have CBU issues.

Compare to other oils it is below average in that category. It has pretty high NOACK of 12.4%. Now Castrol I think lowered it to 11%, which is not an achievement.
You can buy within 2 miles much better oils then that. Also, I have not see one TSI engine maintained in VW that does not have CBU issues.

valvoline synpower xtreme XL III C3 5w-30 (VW504.00/507.00)
NOACK of 10.6%
http://www.oil-club.ru/forum/index.php?a...attach_id=57052

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back