Adding lubrication to diesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always ran stanadyne lubricity formula in my truck since day one and I can always seem to tell when I don't run it. Call me crazy, but that's just me. So are you guys saying that since my truck is newer it can run a dry load of fuel with no problems or additional wear? The standard for the US is a wear rating of 520 and the worst is like 636 when not treated, so my truck is designed to run the non treated diesel fuel without any harm of an injector sticking open or additional wear? It only cost me like a dollar a tank for the additive, so I just thought better to be safe than sorry since one injector is 500 and then it's like another $1500 or something for the pump. The problem I'm finding is I'm having trouble getting ahold of this additive these days. I pretty much have to order it off the internet now, which is fine because I can get it cheaper anyways. So have I been wasting my money all this time?

Originally Posted By: ironman_gq
A lot of the diesel out there is B5 already, plenty of lube at that level of bio.

More than any lubricity one can get out of a bottle! B2 raises lubricity higher than anything one can use off the shelf and it doesn't affect the fuel price at the pump. I can see an additive for various other reasons like anti gelling in winter, but lubricity as the primary motivation to use something is applying a solution to a non existent problem. B2 alone will raise lubricity levels back to Pre ULSD days and provide a little cetane as well. Pumps are not required to label for bio until they are putting 5% or more in. Check with suppliers, almost all diesel nowadays is getting some bio in it.

Originally Posted By: UrS4
Don't think you should ad any oil unless you have a very shi*tty injection pump or injectors.
But I have heard that vegetable oil should be good for additional lube in diesel systems, eg. canola or sunflower. Maybe a castor based 2t oil will be really good too.

cheers!

Unprocessed veggie oil is bad news as a fuel additive, Bio diesel is the best additive (5%) if your fuel does not already contain it. Otherwise try using a major brand fuel additive.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
Originally Posted By: ironman_gq
A lot of the diesel out there is B5 already, plenty of lube at that level of bio.

More than any lubricity one can get out of a bottle! B2 raises lubricity higher than anything one can use off the shelf and it doesn't affect the fuel price at the pump. I can see an additive for various other reasons like anti gelling in winter, but lubricity as the primary motivation to use something is applying a solution to a non existent problem. B2 alone will raise lubricity levels back to Pre ULSD days and provide a little cetane as well. Pumps are not required to label for bio until they are putting 5% or more in. Check with suppliers, almost all diesel nowadays is getting some bio in it.

Just because it says that doesn't mean bio diesel is in the fuel all the time. It usually says up to 5 percent, that could mean nothing at all.

That is why you ask the folks where you get your fuel. Should be a simple proposition. I know some people need to be hand held and led around life. The high volume places like the major name brand chain truckstops, nearly all the time they are bio laced fuel.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
That is why you ask the folks where you get your fuel. Should be a simple proposition. I know some people need to be hand held and led around life. The high volume places like the major name brand chain truckstops, nearly all the time they are bio laced fuel.

I asked the truck driver who pulled up to fill the station when I was filling up today and he said they put b20 in the tanks. I'm not sure if he really knew because their weren't even labels on the pumps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back