Rude to ask someone their level of education ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have found that it is rather easy to tell a person's education level by the way they talk and conduct themselves.

Originally Posted By: FowVay
I have found that it is rather easy to tell a person's education level by the way they talk and conduct themselves.

Not always, I only have a High School Education but upon going into the Service my duty station was at the Pentagon, working in an office, for what was left of the Manhattan Project, this was during the height of the VietNam war. After leaving the service I always worked in management other than when myself and my wife had our own business.

I never dress as the proverbial WalMart shopper unless working around the house or yard.

I have great respect for myself, my wife, and others depending on how I am treated by them.

Does it bother me to be asked, not at all.

Does it bother me to ask, not at all.

As said before it depends on context. I would also add it depends on how it is asked, both through verbal and non-verbal communication.

the context is often what is your purpose of knowing that info?

are you trying to get to know somebody better and their path in life? or are you going to make judgements based on the answer?

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Is it rude to ask someone their level of education ?

Why would you need to know this in casual conversation?

If you're wondering how accomplished they are, it's rude.

If you're wondering how they became so adept at what they are doing, no.

Oddly enough I would only ask if I already knew the answer.

In which case it's just a jumping off point to talk about school.

But there are a lot of people who didn't have the money to go to college or they had personal reasons to go straight into whatever work they could find.

No reason to bring up a sour topic especially if they are a good person and hard worker.

Unless you're on a date and casually talking about education I don't see how you could smoothly slip it into a conversation. To me it's like asking someone how much money they make per year. You just don't ask.

This type of question would easily be classified as a micro-aggression today, I'm sure.

When the phrase 'hire the most qualified person for the job' is considered a micro-aggression because 'qualifications aren't all that should be considered', it may be your very existence that's offensive to someone else.

I'm never offended usually on questions like that. I went to junior college and get it all the time. I would instead make points to your qualification as I do vs what I dont have. Good attendance,reliability, and eagerness to learn have never hurt me. A good credit score and driving record is always a plus. I beat two college graduates because I had work history and great references. I dont judge personal based on education because many veterans dont have college degrees but have the right creditable clearance. College grad or Army Ranger...that's easy.I think the Government has done a good job especially with Navy and Air Force Veterans. They always seem to do a tip top job and education they receive is better than anything.

Only if some jackarse asks in a condescending way because he thinks he's smarter than you.

In most cases I think I would ask "why do they want to know"

Many people assume a lot if they learn 'What a person does for a living', or in this case Their 'level of education'

Truth is, there is far more to 'education' than the results a person may acquire at School/Collage/University.

Also, it can be misleading to assume a persons monetary worth by their occupation or education level.

I have known some very clever people that have had minimal education, and more than one idiot with a PhD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back