Alkaline water. Do you drink?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I may start. I tried some Essentia water today. The bottle says that it is Ionized Alkaline water. pH of 9.5 or higher. I know that Fiji was independently tested to have an alkalinity of 7.5 which is on the high side vs regular waters (?) and there are others that advertise they have 8.2, 9.0.. Needless to say, I had to give this one a shot.

The results? I felt like I could run a marathon. The stuff was incredibly good. Priced less than the horrible energy drinks, at that!

Therefore, is there anything to the alkaline water? The most popular still seems to be the Smartwater by Glaceau. No idea its alkalinity.

Someone needs to explain to me how this is supposed to work. Once even water hits the stomach, you release highly acidic digestive fluids that would quickly neutralize any weak base. So unless you're drinking a very basic water how does that do anything at all?

We have fairly hard/alkaline well water and have the cold water to the kitchen unsoftened. I did a brief search online about its health affects and it may be related to slightly fewer heart attacks.
I don't really feel like I could run a marathon without some serious training though, what water I'm drinking isn't going to matter much...

I eat a predominantly fresh veggie based diet.
Veggies are more alkaline than acidic so IMO there's no need for fancy water.

OP probably has never drank a bottle of water in his life, which is why he felt so much better by it.

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
OP probably has never drank a bottle of water in his life, which is why he felt so much better by it.

I wish i was, i wish i don't and he's name is....? [drumroll].....

I don't understand it either as the amount of oxygen in the water would affect the PH ,I imagine. Even if it tests as alkaline, as our body use any minerals in it determine if it remains an alkaline in affect. If that makes any sense. Our well water on the farm was a high 7.6 and tasted sweet.

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
I eat a predominantly fresh veggie based diet.
Veggies are more alkaline than acidic so IMO there's no need for fancy water.

Yeah.. Actually, that is not correct, and I can also testify as to why there may be something to how this Alkaline water made me feel vs a can of buzzy stuff.

I presently live in a homeless shelter and have for a moderate amount of time now. There are plenty of germs and stuff in there as it is, but they do have a free water dispenser. They don't let people take in opened containers of anything, even water, I suppose in case any of the druggies wanted to put some vodka or whatever in it.
21.gif
So. Sealed containers are fine. I bought a gigantic Poland Spring 58oz or tall water. I have bene refilling it with the water from this place for at least a couple of weeks, as I didn't do this when I first arrived.

I noticed over the past few days that I always had a sore throat. Always. I also had headache, and it was hard to make it go away. All I could do was hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. I drank much water from this dispenser. And still, it persisted.

I finally got a Ricola from one of my jobs and that bag PARTLY did the trick. Something must have really been going on in my body. So, while I may have drank the OCCASIONAL free pop, coffee, soda, it was by no means an exclusive diet. Only half cup of anything at once, be it small black coffee, soda, or any kind of coffee or soda, anything else is in a bottle and not as easily attainable.

So, feeling under the weather and not liking the lack of energy, though I am working ~70 hours a week, more than that this week.. I finally decided to try the Essentia, after seeing one of my customers buy it last night, while we were all being ghoulish and enjoying the Halloween festivities.

I now feel great, whereas if I refilled from that water in the BPHC I would feel like The Walking Dead.

Maybe somebody put some kind of foreign substance on the dispenser and just didnt tell anyone
21.gif
However, we will never really know.

I have since been reading about water. Essentia is pH 9.5 the Glaceau seems to be pH Neutral. The evidence is only speculative or weak that alkaline water helps, however if the minerals and ionization perhaps affect the content of the water as it gets absorbed into the bloodstream, maybe that is why. Since it is true, as the disprovers point out, that there are both acidic and base areas of our body. I don't think it is as simple as that, something IN the water must determine

- its taste
- its health
- is it water or is it something else

So.. Discuss.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Someone needs to explain to me how this is supposed to work. Once even water hits the stomach, you release highly acidic digestive fluids that would quickly neutralize any weak base. So unless you're drinking a very basic water how does that do anything at all?
Yes the stomach acid is really strong. Biology 101 !!!

Originally Posted By: Toaster_Jer
I don't understand it either as the amount of oxygen in the water would affect the PH ,I imagine. Even if it tests as alkaline, as our body use any minerals in it determine if it remains an alkaline in affect. If that makes any sense. Our well water on the farm was a high 7.6 and tasted sweet.

No, dissolved oxygen has no effect on the pH of water. Carbon dioxide does to some extent.

However, the thing is that any pH near or around 7 is only weakly acidic or alkaline. Stomach acid is around pH 2 and is a strong acid. It will instantly and completely neutralize any weak base introduced via water, vegetables or any other source. In order to affect the pH of your stomach contents it takes quite a bit of base - just look at the number of carbonate tablets you need to ingest to counteract heartburn. If you made the water that alkaline it would be like drinking a glass of soap.

I call bull on the whole thing unless someone shows something different.

Originally Posted By: QuinZ
Since it is true, as the disprovers point out, that there are both acidic and base areas of our body. I don't think it is as simple as that, something IN the water must determine

- its taste
- its health

So.. Discuss.

Where are these acidic and alkaline "areas" you speak of? The pH of blood is buffered and very tightly controlled. The acidic contents of your stomach are carefully isolated from the rest of the body and any breach of that isolation will cause unpleasant consequences.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: QuinZ
Since it is true, as the disprovers point out, that there are both acidic and base areas of our body. I don't think it is as simple as that, something IN the water must determine

- its taste
- its health

So.. Discuss.

Where are these acidic and alkaline "areas" you speak of? The pH of blood is buffered and very tightly controlled. The acidic contents of your stomach are carefully isolated from the rest of the body and any breach of that isolation will cause unpleasant consequences.

I had heard it mentioned in passing. In trying to find it, I know I first discovered it through first seeing this video here:

The video misses the point. The pH of the water (within limits that aren't being reached here) is meaningless except perhaps for taste. Once it gets into your stomach it's game over.

Plus you would never use your finger to cap off a pH measurement, especially anywhere near neutral.

Any pH near 7 is easily influenced. Look at this graph which is a typical titration curve of an unbuffered solution using sodium hydroxide. Note the shape of the curve around the neutral point. It takes almost no NaOH to influence the pH until you get to the upper range since the scale is logarithmic. The situation with your stomach is the opposite (you are adding hydrochloric acid) but the shape of the curve is the same since HCl is a strong acid (completely ionized).

strong-titration.png

There's an alkaline water I really like called Crazy Water. I buy the strongest one. It's really good!! Comes from a natural spring in Mineral Wells,Tx (hence the name of the city). I buy it at HEB.

Alkaline water is a scam. Stop spreading this pseudoscience. Your anecdotes about feeling good do not trump the very basic biochemistry that shows how this is nonsense.

To the OP specifically:

Joseph, you're living out of a backpack in a homeless shelter. You're 34 years old and own nothing. Stop spending your money on junk and save it for a place to live.

If you are living in the city, the water there has been treated with all sorts of good stuff, Fluoride, Chlorine phosphates polymers. I wouldn't drink the stuff either and don't. The other issue with bottled water you don't know what goes into that either. One of my favorite videos penn and teller

I have a reverse osmosis system. I drink a lot of water from it. A few years ago I found that I was suffering on and off from mild heartburn. I found that mildly alkaline water helps a bit. I bought a pH meter. The water from the RO system is pretty close to 7.0. If I add 1/2 TSP of baking soda and 1/4 TSP of pink sea salt to my 1.5 gallon refrigerator jug I get a pH of around 8.0. It also makes the water taste less "aggressive" much like what the mineral salts added to bottle water do. I know it's counter intuitive, but adding lemon juice also makes water more alkaline. You'll have to look that one up because I don't get it, either. Some people spend big bucks and get things like Kangen machines. I know someone who swears by it, but you know what that's worth.

I don't ascribe health benefits to it. I just know that I feel the heartburn less and the water is more pleasant to drink.

And, before you ask, the tap water here is perfectly safe. It just tastes lousy and has off smells to it depending upon the time of year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back