bought new unity struts, mounts ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got anew front end set of unity struts, for a 98 corolla. 87,000 miles. The ones on now are on thier way out, car is leaning forward. Im going too isntall them myself. Now, the instructions on the unitys say, too DO NOT remove the mount for any reason. im assuming thier ready too go. they also turn 360 degrees ontop the struts. is this normal?
2 years ago, i bought 2 new napa response struts, for rear. the mounts, the bolts ddint align with the holes, just a few mm off and only had 2 bolts, where i need 3.
are these mounts on the units pretty much set n ready too go without having too use struts compress clamps? basically are they ready too fit without any adjusting..the mounts do have 3 bolts, and i measured the distance between the mount bolts, and the mount holes on the strut area..they matched up perfectly. 15 inches 3 ways.

These sound like quick struts? Spring and mount already installed, just unbolt the old assembly and swap these in?

Originally Posted By: ziggy
they also turn 360 degrees ontop the struts. is this normal?

Yes. The front wheels need to turn, right?

YES! im sorry i didnt include that. Yes they are quick struts, unbolt the old ones, just remove new ones form box, and install.
I wanted too ask and make sure, they were ready too go. The reason, when i bought the rear napa response struts, the mounts had 2 bolt, not 3, and didnt fit in the holes by a few mm. i had too use the old mounts : ( since it was kinda an emergency as back of car was nearly touching the ground lol.
had too use a spring compresser clamp, nbolt the mount, put the old mount on new strut. it was a pita to do.
wanted too ask, make sure, thyse new unity struts are pretty much no removing or re torquing of new mounts they have on them before isntalling. just in case, so i have time too get new mounts incase these dont fit right for whatever reason.

Make sure you install the mounts with the correct orientation if they can go in more than one way and if it matters. A front strut is often held on by three fasteners at the points of an imaginary triangle. Sometimes, it doesn't matter which way the mount is oriented, and sometimes, it does. Be sure to check that prior to installation.

bought new unity struts, mounts ok?

I would consider any auto part made by Unity to be questionable to begin with. Next time spend a little more to get something better like a Monroe or Gabriel.

unitys are that questionable?

Yeah, kinda. Chinese made, so... comes with the stigma of most Chinese Replacement Auto Parts.

Quick look reveals hit or miss. Which shows up on pretty much every auto part out there, name brand or not. If you have a warranty on them, don't mind swapping out again if they fail inside of warranty, then rock 'em. Based on the reviews I'd probably step up to Monroe or Gabriel, spend more get more is often true; but you already have the struts, and it doesn't sound like you drive that much--car might be gone before you wear out these struts, in which case, money spent on better isn't wisely spent money.

unitys are that questionable?

Yes, and name brand ones are not much more money. Now if the Unity struts were way cheaper, like 1/2 price or less, I'd understand, but they are not. That and considering the extra cost of an alignment when the unity struts fail prematurely, they are probably more expensive than a better brand. So it really comes down to Do you feel lucky?

I won't put off brand struts even on my beater. Often cheap auto parts are the most expensive ones you can buy, when you consider how many times you will have to replace them. At least you probably won't get stuck on the side of the road because of these Unity struts.

well, since i have them, i average about 7-9,000 miles a year, howlog could i get out of these struts? im in new england mind you and stop go congested traffic and streets often pct marked with potholes. stamford ct..they dont often fill the craters after winter.

well, since i have them, i average about 7-9,000 miles a year, howlog could i get out of these struts? im in new england mind you and stop go congested traffic and streets often pct marked with potholes. stamford ct..they dont often fill the craters after winter.

they will probably last a year then

wow thats it? just about 10,000 miles? that sucks

yup

These cheap Chinese quick struts aren't that good at all. They rarely last beyond 10k.

Monroe's Econo-Matic is usually good for about 30k.

The premium quick struts (Monroe Quick Strut, Gabriel Ultra Readymount, KYB Strut Plus) are good for at least 50k.

I've had several sets of Sensens and never had them fail.

Can't speak for Unity.

Granted, the Sensens went on beaters on deaths' door or cars I've flipped. But I have a set on my camry up to 18k and going strong.

These are just struts, not the mounts-- reused the OE. Apparently it's hard for the aftermarket to make a good mount, so I reuse if at all possible.

Good luck and don't let the haters hate.

thanks eljefino! so the aftermarket mounts might not fit right?

Someone on here took Monroe mounts and KYB struts (or something) and found an incompatibility.

I'm more afraid of cheezy fall-apart construction.

It also blows my mind that I can get a strut for $26 but the mount, much smaller, is $25-30.

The only plausible excuse IMO for a cheapo mount is if it's part of a cheapo quick-strut and the buyer's gaining something labor-wise by not disassembling.

I put some cheap China ebay quick struts on my old saturn and had 30-40k on them and had no issues.
Sold it to a co worker and it's still riding fine.
I just put a set of "StrutTEC" quick struts on my Cavalier I got from Prime Choice auto parts on ebay. $180 for ALL 4 quick struts. Only been on a few weeks but ride nice and fit perfect.

I should note that Sensen has a part number for almost anything-- they don't have that big a spread without serious manufacturing capability. IMO we'll realize in 10 years they're a name like KYB and that 2016 was "the good old days" when they were still cheap.

Yeah! I noticed too...mounts. NAPA sells the mounts for my corolla, $51 each. rockautohas em for like $20 something dollars, but S+H and im close too or around the $50 mark again. damed if you do, [censored] if you dont.the cost of themunts out prices struts!
I am hoping i shouldnt have an issue. the instructions say too NOT remove the mounts at all. That is their ready too install. I shouldnt have too re torque the new mounts ontop the unitys, should I? im looking to make this a done deal, quckly as possible both struts in about 3-4 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back