2012 Accord 2.4 UOA - PPPP 0w20 4,722 mi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had the VTC actuator in my Accord replaced due to grinding on start up. I changed the oil after replacement since the valve cover has to come off, and who knows what got in there. I was also wanted to check the sodium level as the previous report had a fair amount of sodium, but I used Mobil 1 which contains NO sodium. This report confirmed sodium is trending down so thats good news. However, copper and iron are up. I'm not so concerned about the iron as I am the copper. Its my understanding that copper comes from bearings, which would have nothing to do with the VTC replacement right? Ill probably run for another 5K and sample again to make sure its trending down.

5 PPM of copper is just blackstone making a comment about a real boring UOA. Looks very boring next OCI try and stay with the same product if you are going to keep paying for UOA's. This is my personal recommendation.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
5 PPM of copper is just blackstone making a comment about a real boring UOA. Looks very boring next OCI try and stay with the same product if you are going to keep paying for UOA's. This is my personal recommendation.

I use Pennzoil Platinum 0w20, its my go to oil.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Where would the copper come from?

Wasn't sure where it's coming from ....it could be a braze joints though.
but my guess is it's harmless as it appears like a corrosion wear.

I reckon OCI could be extended further to say, 6-7K miles.
blush.gif

Originally Posted By: dblshock
I'd bump to a 5/30 especially in FL.

The oil rarely gets up to operating temp with my driving style, no need for thicker oil.

The VTC may have had an internal bearing that was wearing or giving off copper, I don't think it is coming from main or rod bearings as lead is trending low and Honda bearings are made of both metals. It could be from an oil to water cooler, but more than likely the VTC issue IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back