New Car Leather Seats - Best Way To Protect ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
First new car with leather seats ... What are your favorite leather car seat conditioners / protectors and best way to apply ?

Originally Posted By: Olas
As above, they can be made too soft. Seat covers are the best protection.

Covers? Why have leather seats then?

It depends on the quality of the leather. If it's cheap it'll typically have a coating from the factory.
What car?

Is it real leather or vinyl coated leather like most cars have? Odds are it's coated in which case you're treating the coating, not the leather. 303 is a good choice for coated leather.

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
New 2017 Hyundai Sonata .

I'd bet they're coated. You can check with a drop of water, leather will absorb it, coated and it will roll and not soak in. I'd check in an inconspicuous spot, some un-coated leather will stain.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

I'd bet they're coated. You can check with a drop of water, leather will absorb it, coated and it will roll and not soak in. I'd check in an inconspicuous spot, some un-coated leather will stain.

Without a doubt they are coated, only the seating areas are leather the rest is vinyl. A proper leather cleaner/conditioner is useless on them, use Mothers VLR.

Last edited:
You are are going to get a plethora of answers. Your car has leather that has a vinyl coating. Very little if any conditioner will make its way down into the actual leather. The best thing to do is keep them clean and protected from the sun. You can use leather CLEANER to keep them clean then follow up with Aeospace 303, an excellent UV protectant.

+got 4 with leather - use the Meg about every two months - vacuum the stitches out more often ...

Thanks! I had wondered what would be a good way to tell which is which.

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28

Thanks! I had wondered what would be a good way to tell which is which.

No problem. I'm positive they're coated, but testing them is easy enough and will rule out any doubt.

I had to have some body work on our 09 Acadia a couple of years ago. I used the body shop that had the highest rating in our area. When I picked it up the leather looked brand new. The guy told me it looked a little dingy so they cleaned the seats with Murphy's Oil Soap. He said it was the best product they had found. Probably only good for vinyl coated leather.

Originally Posted By: rshaw125
Originally Posted By: Olas
As above, they can be made too soft. Seat covers are the best protection.

Covers? Why have leather seats then?

Because you wanted to pay more for the vehicle hoping its resale will be better? Idk tbh...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back