How to find history of a 1964 ford galaxie?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Friend of mine has a 64 galaxie he wants to know like the owner history and stuff what's the easiest way to achieve this?

ask the guy he bought it from
grin2.gif

Try www.so-calgalaxies.com for starters. VIN decoder will provide production plant/date, equipment, color, etc. Without access to prior owner documentation not sure how much further you can go.

The Drivers Privacy Protection Act prohibits state motor vehicle departments from giving records to individuals. The data is (usually) on file, but there are a limited number of permitted uses of the data.

Do a Damage History check. That is prior history you can access, and it will provide clues you could then follow up on (which State it was registered in, and when, for example).

Originally Posted By: Danh
Try www.so-calgalaxies.com for starters. VIN decoder will provide production plant/date, equipment, color, etc. Without access to prior owner documentation not sure how much further you can go.

+1. That's about it. If OP's friend is very lucky, he might find a 'build sheet' tucked under a seat or under a carpet, but it's a long shot. Here are a couple of threads about trying to find them on '61 and '65 Fords, including a post from someone who worked at the Rouge in the wayback.
http://www.network54.com/Forum/74182/thread/1363474911
http://www.network54.com/Forum/74182/thread/1199729705
Kevin

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
Do a Damage History check. That is prior history you can access, and it will provide clues you could then follow up on (which State it was registered in, and when, for example).

Where? I tried the VINs of my two old Fords on autocheck and carfax and they don't deal with VINs of less than 17 characters; i.e., not before 1981.
Kevin

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
The Drivers Privacy Protection Act prohibits state motor vehicle departments from giving records to individuals. The data is (usually) on file, but there are a limited number of permitted uses of the data.

In the 1990's I did multiple vehicle history checks through other state DMV's. Found quite a few documents for my 1960's muscle cars. In one instance I was the first one who had ever tracked down the original owner. From that I learned via the first owner that the 2nd owner, a salvage yard in Missouri, rolled back the odometer (or changed the instrument panel) and created a fresh 2nd title showing 16K original miles. The car had over 75K miles when the 1st owner sold it in the 1980's. It's too bad all these records are now locked up from current owners.

You can also try the H.A.M.B. forum. It's a website that deals in Pre 1965 cars and trucks. Someone there might know the car. Lots of knowledge there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back