Shell Helix Ultra Professional AG 5W-30 HTHS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey all does anyone know what the HTHS is of this oil:
Shell Helix Ultra Professional AG 5W-30
521772241.jpg

picture above,

the only specs it has are in this TDS:
http://www.epc.shell.com/docs/GPCDOC_Local_TDS_United_Kingdom_Shell_Helix_Ultra_Professional_AG_5W-30_(dexos_2)_(en-GB)_TDS.pdf

and the specs it meets are:
API SN
ACEA C3
GM Dexos2

1zgxrvn.jpg

HTHS however is not mentioned
frown.gif

You can ask Shell in the UK directly and they will answer fairly quickly.

It would be great to see a VOA of this oil and compare it with the normal Ultra 5w30.

I would caution this new oil is a C3 cat that is OK for DPF diesels. That means it has less Zinc based additives
(Low ash) which unless it has Titanium or BN (As used in Ceratec) will result in slightly higher wear rates.

Not sure why they use the term professional, might be related to a specific OEM approval, or just a way of justifying a higher price.

JUST LOOKED AT THIS OIL IN FLEABAY AND BE CAREFUL IT IS FAR TOO CHEAP AND MIGHT BE A SCAM.
If you buy oil on Fleabay as I do, only use a major dealer with a 100% rating and the Fleabay approved rating.

Last edited:
can get it cheap from euro carparts. I think it has a hths of >3.5 to meet c3 specs.
was thinking it may be a thinner alternative to using 5w40 in my 1.2 Vauxhall corsa. using 5w-30 energy conserving oil ended up with rattling noises after the first few thousand miles if driven hard.

I buy oil from places like eurocarparts Halfords etc. that way no risk of fakes.

I would guess 3.5 to 3.6 for the HTHS, going by other 5W30 C3 or A3/B4 oils with a similar KV100 of about 12 cSt.

The Shell Professional line of oils is usually for garages and workshops etc

Originally Posted By: slybunda
can this be used in a car not specced for C3 oil?

It depends. If you are located within EU, Australia, Japan or California and you have fuel injected car, no problem.

can this be used in a car not specced for C3 oil?

Yes. It can be used on engines that requires ACEA A3/B4 also.

Shell Ultra AG 5w30 HTHS >=3.5
(Try to find the result of an oil analysis in that Russian oil forum to check the absolute value)

chrisri,

Originally Posted By: chrisri
It depends. If you are located within EU ...

Quote:
slybunda
Loc: UK

Hurry, you can still use it until the UK is in the EU
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: volodymyr
chrisri,

Originally Posted By: chrisri
It depends. If you are located within EU ...

Quote:
slybunda
Loc: UK

Hurry, you can still use it until the UK is in the EU
smile.gif

LOL, not much time though,

Originally Posted By: KL31
I'm guessing the only thing holding this oil back from A3/B4 rating is probably just the TBN?

Yeah, it is Lower-SAPS oil.

So low saps is bad?

Probably only if you want to drive 10,000kms or more.

I'm overboard with oil changes and get funny about going more than 7000kms. I think anything under 10,000kms (6K miles) would be fine on the low saps oils.

Originally Posted By: UltrafanUK
I would caution this new oil is a C3 cat that is OK for DPF diesels. That means it has less Zinc based additives
(Low ash) which unless it has Titanium or BN (As used in Ceratec) will result in slightly higher wear rates.

Why? You can use reduced amounts of more potent additives to retain, or even improve performance. ACEA, VW, MB, BMW etc low SAPS specs demand performance at least as good as their older high SAPS ones.

Originally Posted By: UltrafanUK
Not sure why they use the term professional, might be related to a specific OEM approval, or just a way of justifying a higher price.

Direct rip-off of Castrol's Professional offer - OEM franchised workshop products.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back