Glock 43

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Ethan1
Originally Posted By: skyactiv
The Glock 43 is too large for me as an EDC. I'm 6'2" and 160 pounds.

What.

LOL

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD

[*]As expected, my accuracy is quite a bit less than with my 19, but not awful by any means[/list]Just my thoughts...

Fixed that for ya.

Originally Posted By: john_pifer
As expected, my accuracy is quite a bit less than with my 19, but not awful by any means. Just my thoughts...
Fixed that for ya.
Fixed the syntax for ya. So you think that a subcompact will be as accurate as a compact or a full-sized pistol?

So you think that a subcompact will be as accurate as a compact or a full-sized pistol?

It's surprising how many people think that. What determines pistol accuracy is sight radius. Not weight or thickness. Yes, we can argue triggers all day long. But that is personal preference. There is no way a pistol with a short sight radius can be fired as accurately as a pistol with a longer one. All other things being equal.

As expected, my accuracy is quite a bit less than with my 19, but not awful by any means. Just my thoughts...
Fixed that for ya.
Fixed the syntax for ya. So you think that a subcompact will be as accurate as a compact or a full-sized pistol?

My point is that when a lot of people talk about how "accurate" a gun is, what they really should be talking about is how accurately THEY are able to shoot it. Modern pistols are very accurate, regardless of barrel length. A shorter barrel just makes it harder to accurately shoot.

Barrel length is the smallest factor in how accurately a gun is able to be shot. As Bill said, sight radius is probably the biggest factor in how accurately a gun may be fired.

Barrel length is the smallest factor in how accurately a gun is able to be shot. As Bill said, sight radius is probably the biggest factor in how accurately a gun may be fired.
They are, by design, inherently connected, are they not? All things being equal, I have yet to see anyone shoot a subcompact as accurately as a compact or full sized pistol. So in many ways, it is expected for a subcompact to be "less accurate" despite the reasons.

They are, by design, inherently connected, are they not? All things being equal, I have yet to see anyone shoot a subcompact as accurately as a compact or full sized pistol. So in many ways, it is expected for a subcompact to be "less accurate" despite the reasons.

If you want to see someone shoot a sub compact as well as a full size pistol, watch Hickock45 shoot a glock 26 or 27. He shoots them just as well if not better than the larger compact or full size offerings from glock.

The ultimate way to test accuracy of a pistol is to lock it into a ransom rest and shoot it at 25 yards. Most service pistols such as glock, sig, s&w, H&K, CZ, Beretta, ETC will shoot groups ranging from 2-4" at 25 yards regardless of the size of the gun or the model. The guns with the smallest groups will have tightly fitted parts (mostly frame, slide and barrel fit) precisely finished rifling and muzzle crowns in the barrels and THEN, all else being equal; longer sight radiuses (radi?). Barrel length isn't all that important and in the case of rifles, a shorter barrel is inherently more accurate due to less barrel flex and barrel whipping during the firing process. Barrel whipping is exactly why you see thicker, heavier, larger diameter barrels on target / high accuracy demand rifles.

As for the shield vs glock 43 debate, the shield is bigger in every dimension, heavier and most examples have a worse trigger than the 43. The strengths of the shield are good felt recoil despite the size of the gun and very effective and attractive slide serrations. The Glock 43 is lighter, smaller, has less sharp edges and a slightly better trigger than the shield. The glock is also slightly easier to work on and normally priced lower than the shield as well. Everything else about the guns such as take down, looks, grip angle and brand loyalty is all personal preference.

I personally like and conceal carry a G43. I don't find the kick that much worse than my G19. In a self defense shooting situation, I doubt the kick of the gun will be one of the first things I notice. For me, the G43 conceals better than the G19 even though I have no problems concealing the G19 which was my CC gun for about 11 years until I bought the G43.

You have to shoot and carry what you feel the most comfortable with and for some people, the Glock isn't it. I've owned Glock since 1997 so I'm very familiar with all aspects of the gun and I like it's simplicity, durability, reliability, and the fact that you can find any part you need easily and pretty cheap.

Wayne

Originally Posted By: AMC
The glock is...normally priced lower than the shield as well.

I agree with your comparison points except for this one. The Glock is almost universally about $50-100 more expensive than the Shield.

Bud's Gun Shop: Glock 43 $456

Bud's Gun Shop: Performance Center Shield 9 $459

Bud's Gun Shop: Shield 9 No Thumb Safety $366

You can get the Performance Center Shield for the same price as a stock G43. The basic Shield runs about $100 cheaper.

Originally Posted By: wtd
You have to shoot and carry what you feel the most comfortable with and for some people, the Glock isn't it.
Agreed. For me, the Glock 19 is it, but the Glock 43 is not. I did see X-Grips that would allow me to use a Glock 19 magazine in a Glock 26. With a 19 mag in it, I would have a full grip instead of 1.5 fingers, so I may have to revisit the first Glock I bought...

Hokie- I never considered looking online. In my area the shield and 43 are the same or the glock is a few bucks less. Also, almost all of the gun shops near me are Glock LE dealers and give discounts to almost anyone; military, veterans, cops, security, EMTs almost any type of credentials. There are some S&W LE dealers around here but they seem to be much more strict with who they give the discount to.

Originally Posted By: AMC
Hokie- I never considered looking online. In my area the shield and 43 are the same or the glock is a few bucks less. Also, almost all of the gun shops near me are Glock LE dealers and give discounts to almost anyone; military, veterans, cops, security, EMTs almost any type of credentials. There are some S&W LE dealers around here but they seem to be much more strict with who they give the discount to.

Interesting -- that's definitely a local phenomenon. Online, national, retailers are a good measure of what is true for *most* areas, the G43 usually being about 20-25% more expensive than the Shield. This only makes sense: it's a newer pistol and also carries a brand name that's known for not having to offer discounts to sell products.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back