auto insurance question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have two cars. One is financed so I have to have full coverage on it.
The other car is paid for.
The paid for car is a 2004 Sentra with 168 K miles on it.
The wholesale value is between $900 and $1200.
So if it gets whacked they will total it out and that's the range of payment I will get.
So does it make sense to keep paying the extra $35.00 per month for full coverage?
I drive in metro Denver with a lot of traffic

It's worth a lot more than that. They don't go by trade in value.

My Camry was totaled this year. It's value was $3,950 if it didn't already have dents and faded paint. So they took off $500 for that and my car was valued at $3,450. 16 years old with 207k miles. I paid $2,100 for it 6-7 months prior. Buyback was $868 so I got $2,582 for it.

You're way late in dumping it!

Also if it gets whacked the liable party will pay, unless you have some goofy no-fault type law. So you're paying $35/mo against yourself wrecking it.

I wouldn't dump it. The last time I did something stupid like that I rasied the collision coverage deductible from $200 up to $500. And sure enough, within a year that car got hit and I was out that $450. When I investigated rates further at that time with USAA I found out there wasn't much difference in cost from $500 to $200 or even $200 to $50. So for years I kept the $50 on most of my cars.

My son did that same thing on a car I bought for him. It was probably worth $2,000 after I put $1200 into it for him. The car got totaled when it slid down a hill in a snow storm after being parked. I was furious when I found out he dropped the collision coverage. He told me the agent told him it was the smart thing to do. Yeah right.

Look at it this way $35.00 a month and if nothing happens you keep paying it but if you cancel it and something happens a week later you would be kicking yourself...Thats why they call it insurance..lol
I have the same problem..

My personal benchmark for dropping collision is a vehicle value of $10,000 or less. We keep a vehicle fund that has well more than that to cover repairs and replacement vehicles when/if the need arises. Not only do we not pay out collision on vehicles with low value, but we collect the interest on the savings in the vehicle fund. Given that both my wife and I have stellar driving records and zero accidents over many decades of driving, it makes for some very affordable vehicle insurance. If something should happen we're more than prepared to fix or replace one of the vehicles on which we don't carry collision.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Look at it this way $35.00 a month and if nothing happens you keep paying it but if you cancel it and something happens a week later you would be kicking yourself...Thats why they call it insurance..lol
I have the same problem..

Maybe you should try to save a little money and have it tucked away in a savings account. Then you won't have to foolishly pay for collision on a cheap beater vehicle that wouldn't be worth fixing if it were in an accident. All it requires is a little self-discipline. After all, a master engine builder such as yourself, with all your credentials and experience, should be able to afford to put money away for a rainy day, and should be smart enough to do so.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Also if it gets whacked the liable party will pay, unless you have some goofy no-fault type law. So you're paying $35/mo against yourself wrecking it.

This is an important point. There are really three scenarios to consider:

A) You wreck your own car.
B) Someone with insurance crashes into you.
C) Someone without insurance crashes into you, or they've left the scene and you have no information.

Collision coverage generally always covers A, and probably sometimes C as well, though I'd guess that could vary by insurer and policy. You're paying $420 a year on a car with low value to cover scenarios that are probably very unlikely to happen. If you put that $420 into the bank, you'll have paid yourself the value of the car in 3 years.

I like Pop_Rivit's philosophy on this, though my personal threshold is closer to $5,000 than to $10,000. In either case, the concept is the same. Insurance is simply risk management in exchange for money. If you can manage that risk yourself, and cover the loss if something happens, then you're really better off to not buy the coverage and to self-insure.

Make the numbers smaller and it's easier to understand. You value the Sentra at $1,200. Fine. Say you to go Best Buy and buy a $120 printer. Would you spend $42 on a replacement policy on that $120 printer? Probably not. Would you spend $42 EACH YEAR on that $120 printer? Most certainly not. That's what you're doing with the Sentra -- you're spending $420 a year to replace a $1,200 asset, and it only covers at most 2 of the 3 crash scenarios highlighted above.

Our Acura MDX is worth probably about $6-7k. We have collision coverage on it, though it is getting to the point that I would begin to consider when to drop it. It's our family vehicle, and one we plan to keep for many more years, but, financially, there becomes a point where you're putting good money after bad.

I had a Taurus with just liability and comprehensive and got backed into in a parking lot. The other vehicles insurance would only pay 80% of the estimated damages. Some kind of Illinois law at the time. More recently I got tapped in the rear bumper at a a stop sign with ice on the road with my Accent that only had liability. This time the other insurance company paid 100% and paid for a loaner car for a week.

Im over insured and yes i know it's not the smart thing to do in some cases. I feel the minute i drop the collision something will happen.. Yes it sounds stupid and probably is but it's all deductible. I also have full glass coverage on all my vehicles (it's very very cheap) I collected on that a few times already.

As long as you have the money in the bank and losing $1k wouldn't be a big deal I would drop insurance down as low as legally possible (assuming you have good liability insurance).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back