Changing the oil tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Bud
Its interesting the different thoughts on oil and filter changes. I bought my Honda last Dec and only have 3800 miles on it, mostly short trips. The OLM says oil life is 40%. I leave next week for my first long trip of around 3500 miles and its all I can do not to change the oil and filter before I go. But I will leave it until I get back, but man its tough to wait. Since the trip is all interstate miles it will be interesting to see what the OLM tells me by the end of the trip.

3800 miles and mostly short trips and your going on a 3500 mile trip, sorry but that car deserves fresh oil and a new filter and just reset the OLM, by the way I never use my OLM,
11.gif

Originally Posted By: Malo83
Originally Posted By: Bud
Its interesting the different thoughts on oil and filter changes. I bought my Honda last Dec and only have 3800 miles on it, mostly short trips. The OLM says oil life is 40%. I leave next week for my first long trip of around 3500 miles and its all I can do not to change the oil and filter before I go. But I will leave it until I get back, but man its tough to wait. Since the trip is all interstate miles it will be interesting to see what the OLM tells me by the end of the trip.

3800 miles and mostly short trips and your going on a 3500 mile trip, sorry but that car deserves fresh oil and a new filter and just reset the OLM, by the way I never use my OLM,
11.gif

+1 Definitely change it. These Honda VCM engines are known for beating up oil.

Sent the oil sample off this morning, will update when I have results. UPS said it wont arrive until Thursday so results may not be in until early next week.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: jayg
What in the world are you talking about?

If ARCO didn't have troubles, he wouldn't be ARCO.
wink.gif

Feels like Oil is getting sheared down or fuel diluted. Engine only runs well off idle to about 2500 rpm. I just wish I could check viscosity "at home" . I did have a Brookfield viscometer in the lab where I used to work.
Ill look into simple funnel viscometers online - they must be widely available for automotive paint shops.

What started this was, last year I got a REALLY bad tank of fuel and the engine has never been the same since. Think I have some leaky injectors.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
I plan on changing the oil in the Accord tomorrow morning. PPPP 0w20 is coming out and PPPP 0w20 will be going in, the Fram Ultra will remain on for a second OCI. Current fill has 6 months and 4,700 miles on it. MM shows 40% oil life remaining. I plan on having the oil analyzed and will post the results when I get them. Sure I could probably go longer but I only purchased the car a year ago and last OCI was 3000 miles with an analysis, that came back with some fuel delusion and high sodium (didn't use an oil with sodium). Everything else looked fine though so I let the OCI ride out a bit longer this run. If all comes back clean Ill try and go further next time as well.

If you only keep the car 20 years or so, then you are changing way too often

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back