2015 Subaru WRX - 2.0 DIT boxer engine (FA20DIT)

Status
Not open for further replies.
rainking - The fuel dilution from the Forester turbos, as gp posted above, could be one reason SoA has shortened the interval. I'm shocked that they allowed 7,500 miles on thin 5W-30 given the history of bearing problems. If it was me, I would be boosting PP/PUP 5W-30 with ~2 qts of the 5W-40, or I'd run a Euro 5W-30. I presume that the '15 WRX manual still has the language that "5W-40 conventional" is allowed for replenishment.

Get that factory fill 20 grade out of there now! Good luck and be sure to keep your oil change receipts!

-Dennis

Last edited:
Just remembered there is now a Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-30, not to be confused with the Platinum Euro L 5W-30. The Euro would be my choice if you want a Pennzoil 5W-30 (if you can find it).

-Dennis

Originally Posted By: rainking
Thanks guys. Should I do a UOA on my 2nd fill?

2nd or 3rd fill.

OK I did get a little over excited about the TMOF. And the extra oil capacity sent me into a tizzy.

I have about 1100 miles on my 6mt 2015 wrx premium with nav/hk. I bought 5-5 quart jugs of 5w-30 pennzoil ultra from Walmart. Plan on using oem filters and changing out factory fill at 3k then probably every 4k. I have noticed oil temps range from 203-207f so far for extended driving. Dealer gave me two years of free oil changes but probably won't use them because subaru branded synthetic I hear isn't very good. Need to frankenblend my oil choice or robust enough for spirited driving?

Originally Posted By: legandrex
I have about 1100 miles on my 6mt 2015 wrx premium with nav/hk. I bought 5-5 quart jugs of 5w-30 pennzoil ultra from Walmart. Plan on using oem filters and changing out factory fill at 3k then probably every 4k. I have noticed oil temps range from 203-207f so far for extended driving. Dealer gave me two years of free oil changes but probably won't use them because subaru branded synthetic I hear isn't very good. Need to frankenblend my oil choice or robust enough for spirited driving?

I plan to do the same but I will let the UOA dictate my intervals up to but not exceeding 6k/6 month to maintain warranty.

I just got back from two walmarts and could not find PUP. They only had PP. Is PUP still relatively scarce?

I just ordered them online...think they were about $25 per jug. Heard they weren't on shelves anymore. Was at one today picking up a filter for wife's car and didn't see any.

Originally Posted By: legandrex
I just ordered them online...think they were about $25 per jug. Heard they weren't on shelves anymore. Was at one today picking up a filter for wife's car and didn't see any.

Can you share the link? Thanks!

I just drained Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 with 3k miles. Going to send it in for UOA. I'll post the report here once I have it.

Suburu are you listening.....(probably not but) bring back the hatchback....4dr sedan only, give me a break...

odd that I can't find this thread using the forum's search engine, but managed to find it using google search.

I have a 2015 wrx.

2500 to 8,000 used RP 5w30.
8,000 to 17,500 used RL 10w40.
17,500 to 21,500 (present) Mobil1 15w50

2500 mile OCI. No oil loss that I can measure.

I am running an oil cooler. road temps get to 205F. Track temps get to 230'ish.

Car is modified.

I dont drive until temp hits 90F and never push hard until 180F.

Do any of the old timers here see any issue with running mobil1 15w50 instead of Redline 10w40 as far as wear protection.

I am mostly concerned about rod bearings as they would be the first to fail.

Last edited:
I'm not an expert, but your temps seem pretty reasonable to me with the oil cooler and pretty much any synthetic 5W-30 or thicker would be fine. I'd run a 5W-30 in winter and bump it up to a 0/5/10W-40 syn in warmer months. I doubt 15W-50 in needed unless you're doing an extended track jaunts or rallying...

I'd consider Mobil 1 or Castrol 0W-40 perhaps, year round...

Originally Posted By: fredrik94087
odd that I can't find this thread using the forum's search engine, but managed to find it using google search.

I have a 2015 wrx.

Car is modified.

Do any of the old timers here see any issue with running mobil1 15w50 instead of Redline 10w40 as far as wear protection.

The HTHS viscosity of RL 10W40 is 4.4 and HTHS of M1 15W50 is 4.5. Probably not too much difference in bearing protection. I presume you have bearing clearances that call for a thick 40 grade or 50 grade.

RL is thinner at operating temp and is loaded with moly so theoretically it should rev more freely. And Red Line's POE base stocks are cool.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: bluesubie
Originally Posted By: fredrik94087

I have a 2015 wrx.

Car is modified.

The HTHS viscosity of RL 10W40 is 4.4 and HTHS of M1 15W50 is 4.5. Probably not too much difference in bearing protection. I presume you have bearing clearances that call for a thick 40 grade or 50 grade.

RL is thinner at operating temp and is loaded with moly so theoretically it should rev more freely. And Red Line's POE base stocks are cool.
grin2.gif

Subaru calls for 5w30 A3/B4 oil. There is no way I am running that thin of an oil and risking bearing failure.

I am running thicker oil because my installer who has built these motors told me there is plenty of room in the OE motor for thicker oil. His recommendation was to run the thicker oil as cheap insurance.

I am probably the only guy with an FA20DIT running 15w50 and an oil cooler. I do like Redline, but Mobil1 is about 1/2 the price at 2500 OCI.

My concern with the Mobil1 is that it is an A3/B3 while Redline is an A3/B4 (recommended).

Thanks for the input. I only looked at the ZDDP content of Mobil1. So, the higher Moly amount in Redline will reduce friction over Mobil1? Ok.

Mobil1 15w50 from another site:
zinc = 1,133 ppm
phos = 1,168 ppm
moly = 83 ppm

Redline 10w40 from this site:
Zinc: 1446
Phos: 1337
Moly: 677

I believe the phos is higher in Mobil1 than what I copied, but I suppose I have talked myself through it with your help.

Never looked at the Moly content. I was looking at viscosity and ZDDP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back