Mileage vs. Time Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
It's not really about either miles or time - it's about heat cycles, fuel dilution, max op temp, humidity, etc. BUT, the MFG's try to make it simple and equate it to mileage and time.

You have a nice car. you need to get under, over, and around it thoroughly once a year anyway, so just change the oil while you're at it
smile.gif

Essentially this.

Give it a real good once over yearly and change the oil then. (Summer is much better than winter)

My warranty was only 36 month/36,000 miles & I purchased her in the Fall of 2009. My warranty has long since expired.

Make your oil change every 2 years (~7000 miles according the owner's manual). In case of doubt make an oil analysis after one year.
Keep using a good synthetic oil.

Originally Posted By: dexos
Make your oil change every 2 years (~7000 miles according the owner's manual). In case of doubt make an oil analysis after one year.

Sorry but I want to correct my last post: 2010 Ford Mustang already does have Oil Maintenance Light (OML)? If it lights, change the engine oil...

Originally Posted By: JMJNet
In my experience, we need to worry more about oil leaks due to not driving the car.
I guess the seals are shrinking if they don't have any oil flow going through them.

I know this does not answer your question but OCI is actually not as important to preventing oil leaks.

This is probably my main concern. Nobody wants a leaker!

Last edited:
Nice car - I'd skip UOA & use money to buy some oil once per year. Filter every other ...

Sorry but I want to correct my last post: 2010 Ford Mustang already does have Oil Maintenance Light (OML)? If it lights, change the engine oil...

2 of these screenshots are directly from the 2010 Ford Mustang GT Owner's Manual and 1 is from the general Scheduled Maintenance Guide for all 2010 Fords. Apparently it's suppose to be done every 6 months since that would occur first? Also I'm thoroughly confused by some members saying it costs $20 for full synthetic oil change. I can't change the oil, so I have to pay a garage and it usually costs $100 for 5 quarts of full synthetic, filter & labor. Is that normal? Castrol Edge is about $9 a quart, but most places will not let me purchase the oil myself. That's why I'm slightly concerned too. If it costs some people $20 I would have done it already. Not that I won't, just curious if needs to be done. Even $100 is cheaper than having to replace an engine. She only has about 35,000 miles too. When my Pop & I restored classic Mustangs we did everything ourselves and it was very cheap, but, alas, those days are long gone. I did order a Blackstone Labs oil kit. Thanks!

oil1.png
oil2.png
oil3.png

Try not fret about spending a hundred on the change. If that is the price then he might have a few minutes to grease the chassis or inspect underbody components instead of simply draining the oil and spinning on a new filter and calling it done.

I posted the $19-$20 because that's what the oil and filter cost me, tax included. You can buy the Fram Ultra 6 packs for $36-$39. Cheaper filters are even less. Synthetic PP, PUP, M1, QSUD is routinely on sale through out the year along with $7-$12 rebates per jug. M1 $12 jug rebate ends on Monday. $10/$7 PP/QSUD runs through the end of the year. If AutoZone comes out with the $2/qt clearances in December, that's another opportunity to buy jugs at $10 each. Last year I bought 50 qts at $2 each from AZ. And should AZ do that again this year....that would mean nearly free oil with the PP/QSUS rebates. In any event $2/qt synthetic oils are available during the year if you make a little effort. Last year I bought 50 qts of $2 synthetic oil at the Dec AZ clearance. One stop for 2-3 yrs worth of oil.

I change my own oil and figure the labor at $0. But, even if you have to bring your own synthetic oil and filter to an oil change, a lot of shops will change it for you for say $10-$20. That's a lot cheaper than $100. I did a syn. oil change at Monroe Muffler where I brought the stuff and they charged me $10 for the labor. If you come back for other maintenance over time they will likely keep extending you some good will. Even if you let them charge you the full $19.99 to $29.99 for a conventional oil change....let them keep that oil and filter and you substitute your stuff for $20. It's still not going to be over $40-$50. Synthetic oil changes at $70-$100 at most dealers are a rip since we can buy the oil and filter for $20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back