5 quart Havoline Pro DS at Walmart??

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a possibility that Havoline Pro DS 5 qt containers are coming to Walmarts. Price listed online is $19.71 for a oil that's Dexos approved and HTO-06 as well. That's a very good deal and would be the lowest (regular everyday price not a rollback sale one) price full synthetic in that store. So, maybe just maybe it will be available before too long in a number of markets. We will see...

Last edited:
It would be really nice if they brought it back to Rite Aid and put it on sale for $.99 a qt. like they used too...
smile.gif

Nice find! Free store pick-up should be available in most location, correct? I remember doing that with various oils (different brands) that were not regularly stocked in my area. I'm checking my closest Walmarts and all say available Nov 2 if purchased today. May only be stocked at central warehouse locations?

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Here is the PDS for this oil. I was thinking that the NOACK volatility % requirement for dexos was less than 13%. Havoline Pro DS is 13% for 5W-30, and it says that it meets dexos, so I must be mistaken!

IIRC 13% is the cutoff.

Yeah Wemay you are right on with that analysis. The fact of the matter is that the HTO-06 test is actually a harder test because it's on used motor oil. The NOACK of 13% is at the top end of the test pass percentage. But I haven't had any issues with it burning in my car at all. How many oils in Wally world have both Dexos specification and HTO-06 ?? Pennzoil Platinum, Quaker State Ultimate Durability as of right now. The Havoline Pro DS will be the third one IF it gets into the stores. Ohh and Quaker State Ultimate Durability regular price is $21.97 I believe when it's not on sale. The Havoline seems to be $19.71 as a everyday price. Not too shabby I say. Now, having stated all of that... nothing at all wrong with QSUD, Valvoline Maxlife, Pennzoil Platinum, etc.. It will be nice to maybe just maybe having the Havoline Pro DS available as well.

I really like Chevron products, but in my opinion this is a 5K oil at best. We used it in a customers 3800 and when drained with about 8K on it, it was showing signs of oxidative thickening. The 8K oci wasn't our call. Not saying its a bad oil at all, I just wouldn't recommend it for an extended interval.

Yeah no problem tony10s. All good in the hood
smile.gif

Yeah car51 I am not sure about the Valvoline Maxlife or Synpower being HTO-06 approved. I wouldn't be surprised if it could pass that at all. I bet it could.

Red91 I guess it would have been definitive if that was sent out as a sample. I'm not all to sure a "visual test" could truly tell the story. It does depend upon the application as to how far it really could be run for. I think 10k is not totally unreasonable for it to be run in certain applications. But, I agree with you liking the Chevron/Havoline products. And I wouldn't tell some to go past say 7k miles in a VQ 3.5 motor without a UOA test to truly verify viscosity.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
I'd like to try their Pro DS Euro 5W-40.

I doubt Walmart will stock the 5w40 on their shelves. They already have M1 0w40 and Castrol black edge 0w40, and they probably know how many people own European cars.

I guess I am trying to say that Walmart may think they have enough European car oils.

To be fair bbhero, the oil was a quart low when we drained it. My interpretation was how it looked compared to oil I've drained that I knew was past its usefulness, I.e. several years in the sump, run way under capacity. It wasn't brown yet, but almost had a thickness to it like watered down tomato sauce, and the thickening wasn't even. I was surprised. Of course the engine itself was subject to spotty maintenance. Have you used the pro ds in your Nissan yet? I'd say that's an engine hard on oil. If it does well in there, then my experience could be and probably is weighed down by limiting factors I haven't considered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back