2016 WRX, Been at Dealer 3 Months

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: fdcg27

I'll add that if the servicing dealer had been the selling dealer, your experience would probably have been a lot better. Warranty work isn't a moneymaker for either a service department or the techs doing it since the hourly rate reimbursed along with the time allowed tend to be on the low end. Consequently, the better techs who have the option of going elsewhere will often refuse these jobs or expect to be heavily compensated with customer paid gravy work like brakes.

Which would accomplish what?
This is a really convoluted story involving a cheap dealer in another state from whom the OP bought the car, the local dealer who didn't make a dime on the car whom the OP expected to fix it and the largely unseen and probably undocumented hand of SOA.

The OP's experience might best serve as a cautionary tale to those who search out the cheapest on purchase and then expect good warranty service from their more costly local dealers.
Maybe the more expensive dealers are so because they have more adequate service departments that they are disinclined to open to carpetbaggers?

Of course, had he bought the car from that dealer, they might have assigned a sharper and better paid tech to the car and the problem might have been found and resolved far more quickly.

You've now banged that drum four times - implying that Darrell Waltrip Subaru purposely dragged their feet diagnosing and repairing the car because I didn't buy the car from them.

Hogwash.

I've worked for a car dealership. Do you think the personnel in the service department have time to look up whether a vehicle was bought from that dealership, and then say, "Hmm...this car wasn't bought from here. Since he didn't buy it from here, let's just slow this process down as much as we can."

Don't be silly.

The service department couldn't care less where it was bought - they have a vested interest in getting the car repaired as fast as possible so that they can get it off their lot and make room for the next repair. Yeah, they dragged their feet. So did SOA. It had nothing to do with the fact that I didn't buy it there. It had more to do with a general lack of will to carry out proper troubleshooting on the car (laziness) and wanting to take the "parts shotgun" approach (believe me, I know all about this - I'm an aircraft mechanic).

If what you said was true, then what about all the people who buy a vehicle, and then move out of that city or state? If they have a warranty issue, they're going to have to take it to a dealership service department for repair, and it's not going to be the dealer they bought it from. For all Darrell Waltrip Subaru knows, that was the case with me, too. They'd all be SOL, wouldn't they?

First of all, as I said, they don't have either the time or the inclination to look up whether the car was purchased from their dealership. Second, if they did (they don't), and they saw that the car was bought from another dealership, they don't take that as some sort of slight, as you say. To them, a car, is a car, is a car. They treat them all the same.

Your implication is absurd.

John,

Don't get mad if I say this... but how can dealership 'technicians' not be able to troubleshoot the problem if the car has been there 3 months ?

You repair aircraft for a living (just wondering what aircraft) and if you lack the training and skill then the company has an obligation to find a qualified technician.... same goes for your WRX.

OT: at my job we don't hesitate to escalate the complaint and find a qualified technician to resolve a customer's problem. Not all technicians are equally trained.

I bought my subaru 45miles away because the local dealer was a joke and wouldnt budge of MSRP.. I paid INVOICE -2%.

Guess where Subaru told me I had to have my car towed too... THE CLOSEST LOCAL DEALER.

luckily the local service dept is much better than their sales dept.

That was on my 2011 forester that spit out a starter bolt. (first year of fb25 engine)

Only repair trip to the dealer. for that car.

The 2015 hasnt needed a repair yet..

the 2013 outback got a new ring job, a new short block, and a new oil level sensor gasket.
all stemming from burning oil. It now uses about 1qt 4500miles or so. Which is pretty "normal" for a horizontal engine..

I think it was also in for a faulty front passenger seat occupancy sensor that died.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
John,

Don't get mad if I say this... but how can dealership 'technicians' not be able to troubleshoot the problem if the car has been there 3 months ?

You repair aircraft for a living (just wondering what aircraft) and if you lack the training and skill then the company has an obligation to find a qualified technician.... same goes for your WRX.

OT: at my job we don't hesitate to escalate the complaint and find a qualified technician to resolve a customer's problem. Not all technicians are equally trained.

Ah, I guess I don't understand your question/point.

Originally Posted By: Rand
I bought my subaru 45miles away because the local dealer was a joke and wouldnt budge of MSRP.. I paid INVOICE -2%.

Guess where Subaru told me I had to have my car towed too... THE CLOSEST LOCAL DEALER.

luckily the local service dept is much better than their sales dept.

That was on my 2011 forester that spit out a starter bolt. (first year of fb25 engine)

Only repair trip to the dealer. for that car.

The 2015 hasnt needed a repair yet..

the 2013 outback got a new ring job, a new short block, and a new oil level sensor gasket.
all stemming from burning oil. It now uses about 1qt 4500miles or so. Which is pretty "normal" for a horizontal engine..

I think it was also in for a faulty front passenger seat occupancy sensor that died.

The oil burning problem with the 2.5s is pretty common. As is ring land failure on those engines.

A co-worker bought a new 2014 WRX (last year for the 2.5) and had to have the engine replaced due to ring land failure. Thankfully they fixed that problem with the new 2.0 (my engine).

Quote:

Yeah, silly question on my part.

Just trade car in for 2017 WRX since they refuse to repair correctly. No way I would tolerate all their lies and games. Also no way I would leave the car without any concerns, refusal to accept car back made it worse. It's now 100% your problem.

But it's your money paying for insurance and car loan when it's just been sitting on lot, hopefully the mechanics are not taking turns joyriding and going out to lunch in it.

Just to update, since people aren't reading the thread, I've had the car back for weeks now. Still an intermittent CEL (P000A, cam position sensor slow to respond), which cropped up for the first time AFTER I got the car back. SOA wants me to take the car back to the dealer before they issue a final resolution, which will probably be an extension of the factory warranty.

Oh, and I now have damage to the clearcoat from the car being [censored] on while sitting at the dealer and the sun baking it on. I've rubbed on a few of the spots with some Meguiar's products I have in the garage (Ultimate Compound, ScratchX, Paint Cleaner), and they have helped a bit, but it's going to take probably a full afternoon to minimize those spots as much as they can be.

Quote:

Just trade car in for 2017 WRX since they refuse to repair correctly. No way I would tolerate all their lies and games. Also no way I would leave the car without any concerns, refusal to accept car back made it worse. It's now 100% your problem.

But it's your money paying for insurance and car loan when it's just been sitting on lot, hopefully the mechanics are not taking turns joyriding and going out to lunch in it.

So, your plan to remedy Subaru's total incompetence is...buy another car from them?! Why not just have, THANK YOU SIR, MAY I HAVE ANOTHER!" tattooed on your face?

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Quote:

So, your plan to remedy Subaru's total incompetence is...buy another car from them?! Why not just have, THANK YOU SIR, MAY I HAVE ANOTHER!" tattooed on your face?

Ah, I believe he was being sarcastic.

Originally Posted By: john_pifer

I'll add that if the servicing dealer had been the selling dealer, your experience would probably have been a lot better. Warranty work isn't a moneymaker for either a service department or the techs doing it since the hourly rate reimbursed along with the time allowed tend to be on the low end. Consequently, the better techs who have the option of going elsewhere will often refuse these jobs or expect to be heavily compensated with customer paid gravy work like brakes.

This is a really convoluted story involving a cheap dealer in another state from whom the OP bought the car, the local dealer who didn't make a dime on the car whom the OP expected to fix it and the largely unseen and probably undocumented hand of SOA.

The OP's experience might best serve as a cautionary tale to those who search out the cheapest on purchase and then expect good warranty service from their more costly local dealers.
Maybe the more expensive dealers are so because they have more adequate service departments that they are disinclined to open to carpetbaggers?

Of course, had he bought the car from that dealer, they might have assigned a sharper and better paid tech to the car and the problem might have been found and resolved far more quickly.

You've now banged that drum four times - implying that Darrell Waltrip Subaru purposely dragged their feet diagnosing and repairing the car because I didn't buy the car from them.

Hogwash.

I've worked for a car dealership. Do you think the personnel in the service department have time to look up whether a vehicle was bought from that dealership, and then say, "Hmm...this car wasn't bought from here. Since he didn't buy it from here, let's just slow this process down as much as we can."

Don't be silly.

The service department couldn't care less where it was bought - they have a vested interest in getting the car repaired as fast as possible so that they can get it off their lot and make room for the next repair. Yeah, they dragged their feet. So did SOA. It had nothing to do with the fact that I didn't buy it there. It had more to do with a general lack of will to carry out proper troubleshooting on the car (laziness) and wanting to take the "parts shotgun" approach (believe me, I know all about this - I'm an aircraft mechanic).

If what you said was true, then what about all the people who buy a vehicle, and then move out of that city or state? If they have a warranty issue, they're going to have to take it to a dealership service department for repair, and it's not going to be the dealer they bought it from. For all Darrell Waltrip Subaru knows, that was the case with me, too. They'd all be SOL, wouldn't they?

First of all, as I said, they don't have either the time or the inclination to look up whether the car was purchased from their dealership. Second, if they did (they don't), and they saw that the car was bought from another dealership, they don't take that as some sort of slight, as you say. To them, a car, is a car, is a car. They treat them all the same.

Guess I imagined all those times my shop foreman told me to "Push that POS they bought at Walker {or Rupp or Capital) out back and let it sit".

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
Guess I imagined all those times my shop foreman told me to "Push that POS they bought at Walker {or Rupp or Capital) out back and let it sit".

No, that happened.
You just happened to work at a bad dealership.

BC.

Originally Posted By: Bladecutter

No, that happened.
You just happened to work at a bad dealership.

BC.

I would argue it is the norm rather than the exception. I have confirmed basically from more than one service advisor the pecking order is cash paid customer work first, bought from dealership warranty work second and walk in from other dealerships warranty work last in scheduling.

While any dealership of said brand may be obligated to perform warranty work regardless where bought, it is basic human nature that if you have given profit to some other dealer on the initial purchase, do not expect another franchise dealer to be jumping for warranty work that is billed at reduced rate.

Originally Posted By: NibbanaBanana
Tell them you're reversing the deal and to keep the car. Everything I hear about these Subaru's is nothing but trouble. Overly complicated and high cost repairs.

Stupid advice there. The bank note for the vehicle and the warranty work needing to be done are in two separate legal worlds. Dealerships do not care if you drop the keys off and walk away, it is a bank problem then and you are still on the hook for the bank note.

Mustang still bland and boring.

lol.gif

This is coming from someone who owns base model Hondas

Reminds me of the other guy who said a BMW 3 series is basically the same as a 10 year old Focus
in performance and design.

I come to this site for the lulz!

Originally Posted By: john_pifer

Hogwash.

Don't be silly.

That's what is probably happening. Hopefully the most experienced tech can look at his car.

It's running well. Coincidentally I dropped it off at the dealer yesterday to address the intermittent P000A trouble code I was getting a few months back. I have not gotten the code recently, and there is no record of it in the ECU, so it looks like a wasted trip as far as having the intake cam sensor replaced (known issue with this engine).

I was getting the CEL when I was dealing with Subaru of America on the noise that it was at the dealer for. After they finally found the source of the noise (exhaust leak), I got the car back and was in contact with SOA about some kind of compensation for the car sitting at the dealer for 3 months. During that time, the CEL kept popping on with the P000A. SOA wanted me to have that addressed before making a final decision on any sort of compensation.

Recently I noticed that the rotors are warped a little bit, and it's also time for a rotation, so I figured, take it to the dealer, ask for new front brake rotors, have the tires rotated, and have them replace the cam position sensor while I'm there. Then I could move forward with my claim with SOA.

Well, since they can't find a record of the P000A in the ECU, they won't replace the sensor. And they say the rotors are within spec, so the most they'll offer is machining them. I'm not really happy with that because removing material will only decrease heat dissipation efficiency and they'll be warped again a lot faster than a new set of front rotors would. I talked to SOA today and explained all this and told them a new set of front rotors would make me happy. They hemmed and hawed a bit and said they'd get back to me.

Such is life when dealing with dealerships and people at car companies who do nothing but listen to people's problems and [censored] every day.

Car has 14,xxx miles.

I would honestly put your WRX up for sale, sounds like an absolute basket-case. I would not trust that car to get you to 50K let alone 100K trouble-free miles. Cut your losses while you can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back