Coolant disposal

Status
Not open for further replies.
While reading of Rad Flushes I notice the rad is flushed several times to clean it out. What does one do with all the coolant and water then removed ? Is it all collected in containers to be recycled ? A lot of it would be very weak solutions ( mostly water. )Does one just let it run away ?
Why use distilled water for flushing ? Isn't tap water good enough ? I can understand using Distilled water for the final filling.

Thanks for all the good information posted on cooling systems.

I've read conflicting views on how toxic coolant is to the environment. I have a well and have decided not to dump any coolant (or any other chemicals) on my property. It doesn't seem to me that it's going to be completely harmless to the environment. Most people in the world don't have clean drinking water. That's why I don't do coolant flushes any more. I just drain and fill. Take the old stuff to the dump to be recycled.

If you flush with tap water then some tap water is going to be left in your cooling system unless you can completely drain it. That's why you would want to flush with distilled.

This subject comes up a lot on here:

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3857858/Anti-Freeze_-_Disposal#Post3857858

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthr...ree#Post4175154

The bottom line is that some municipalities with septic systems permit disposal down the sewer drain (but never in the storm drains). The septic sewer treatment plants that permit disposal are very capable of handling glycol and it is not harmful to their process. Some municipalities permit sewer disposal but also encourage recycling (as did Milwaukee the last time I checked). If you are on a municipal sewer system, call the office and find out what is permitted in your area.

I don't have any personal experience with what it does to a private septic system.

I religiously recycle engine oil. But coolant I pour out at my fence line and let it soak in. It does not kill the grass and disappears.

I dump mine down the toilet.. That is the only way of disposal and approved by my local city.

IF I wanted to recycle they are open a rotating 4 hours per WEEK and 30miles away.

Apparently the local sewer treatment plant has no problems at all with coolant...The bacteria eat it? IIRC.

I collect all my used oil, coolant, and oil filters during the year. Then make one trip to the recycling center when it's convenient for me. Typically that's 5 gallons of each. If it were 50-100 miles away I'd make a day trip out of it. Fortunately, mine is only 3-4 miles away.

If you are connected to a sewage treatment plant, check if your operator allows the dumping of coolant. Mine does.

Never in a septic drain field. Never on the ground. Never in a storm drain.

After that, take it to the HHW for recycling....

Check your local laws and disposal options, of course. But, if you can't find a satisfactory answer, take it back to whomever sold you the coolant.

If that is a problem, buy your coolant from someone who actually does coolant changes. They will have a disposal protocol in place, your stuff won't matter added to the pile.

If you really can't get rid of it to the vendor who sold you the coolant, take it down two hours before they open the doors and leave it on their doorstep.

Ideally ask before you buy, and if they won't offer you a solution then shop elsewhere at some place that does, and of course let the original store manager know (nicely, there son) why you are no longer going to shop there in the future. Remember you are trying to change their behaviour, not give them a lecture.

Originally Posted By: NibbanaBanana
I've read conflicting views on how toxic coolant is to the environment. I have a well and have decided not to dump any coolant (or any other chemicals) on my property. It doesn't seem to me that it's going to be completely harmless to the environment. Most people in the world don't have clean drinking water. That's why I don't do coolant flushes any more. I just drain and fill. Take the old stuff to the dump to be recycled.

If you flush with tap water then some tap water is going to be left in your cooling system unless you can completely drain it. That's why you would want to flush with distilled.

What's wrong with a little tap water in your cooling system?

I don't flush, either. Just drain and fill.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
What's wrong with a little tap water in your cooling system?

It contains calcium, which is a mild poison to the cooling system.

I never do coolant flushes on my property, which has a well. I'll do it in the city at my friend's place.

The stuff that's drained goes in the toilet. The stuff that's flushed goes into the ground.

Check your municipality's web site or give them a call. They'll let you know whether it should go down normal municipal drains, or whether they have a dedicated recycling program. As was already mentioned, the storm sewers are not an acceptable disposal option.

Originally Posted By: Chris Meutsch
Toilet.

What the difference between your toilet and your sink drain? They both route to the same place.

The biggest run off from antifreeze is at airports where the hose down the plane to de ice. From the EPA.

1.2 WHAT HAPPENS TO ETHYLENE GLYCOL WHEN IT ENTERS THE ENVIRONMENT?
Released into air, water, and soil
The primary source of ethylene glycol in the environment is from run-off at airports where is used in de-icing agents for runways and airplanes. Ethylene glycol can also enter the environment through the disposal of products that contain it.
Quickly broken down
Air: Ethylene glycol in air will break down in about 10 days. Water and soil: Ethylene glycol in water and in soil will breakdown within several days to a few weeks.

I usually just pour it out on the gravel drive. The water used to flush just goes into the dirt along the drive.

Originally Posted By: Greggy_D
Originally Posted By: Chris Meutsch
Toilet.

What the difference between your toilet and your sink drain? They both route to the same place.

Not if you use a gray water system to conserve water. This isn't common.

That is why you need to dispose of coolant in the toilet, but only if your home is connected to a sanitary sewer. The activated sludge cultures at the treatment plant can break down glycols, but the septic tank bacteria can't break down glycols.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back