Gin vs Rum, which should I go for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Company bonuses are around again. I usually choose a fancy beer like Wee Heavy, or Grande Reserve 17, etc.

This time i want to invest in a nice bottle of something I can enjoy neat, that's smooth and full of flavor.
below are the ones I'm considering:

Rum:
Diplomatico - Reserva Exclusiva

Gin:
Brockmans Gin

Let me explain myself. I prefer things that have more layers of flavor. I have once tried a bottle of Bombay Sapphire that was mixed with lemon juice, sugar, and soda. Was very nice! I enjoyed the dryness, the juniper etc. I also like Marmite and canned anchovies (not together, that's lethal).

I used to enjoy bottles of Oban, but I dont make that kind of money anymore
frown.gif

Any other suggestions around that price range?
thanks in advance

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
Company bonuses are around again. I usually choose a fancy beer like Wee Heavy, or Grande Reserve 17, etc.

This time i want to invest in a nice bottle of something I can enjoy neat, that's smooth and full of flavor.
below are the ones I'm considering:

Rum:
Diplomatico - Reserva Exclusiva

Gin:
Brockmans Gin

Let me explain myself. I prefer things that have more layers of flavor. I have once tried a bottle of Bombay Sapphire that was mixed with lemon juice, sugar, and soda. Was very nice! I enjoyed the dryness, the juniper etc. I also like Marmite and canned anchovies (not together, that's lethal).

I used to enjoy bottles of Oban, but I dont make that kind of money anymore
frown.gif

Any other suggestions around that price range?
thanks in advance

I guess I have always felt that gin was the kind of thing that had to be heavily disguised in a mixed drink because it is nasty on its own...I absolutely cannot stand gin martinis. That said, I just enjoyed a couple of Last Words (green chartreuse, gin, maraschino liquer, and lime juice) while visiting a friend and they were sublime.
For me, rum is something that is a lot easier to enjoy than gin without a lot of masking, but everybody is different.

If you wish to enjoy something neat, I would lean towards scotch. Personally Johnnie Walker Green label is one of my favorites considering price point, taste and overall value. I realize you did ask for Rum or Gin. Personally.. drinking neat, rum would be my 2nd option.. but you would likely need to spend enough to get quality. I usually mix rum, but I like Flor de Cana 7 years over their 12 year offering.. you can get away with a 50-50 mix with coke or coke zero without overpowering the rum taste. Dont think I would drink it neat though.

Try a nice 10 year old Tawny Port. A 20 yo is much smoother and tastier, and the less than 10s are kind of harsh and an odd sort of sweet. For someone who doesn't normally drink port, buy based on price point. They'll all taste similar.

Also, I'm a gin man. I like Hendricks, but can get bottles of Bombay for the same price as Beafeaters and less than Tanguaray, , so it's my go-to. I like it with cranberry juice or tonice and lime. I've never considered drinking it straight. Is that a thing?

80 proof anything neat was my drink for yrs. Then my brother turned me onto ice cubes. Whisk(e)y on ice. Dark rum in coffee is awesome. Fruit juice is good too. I love martinis but rarely drink them. Gin of course. Vodka, unless kept below zero and served in a frosted vessel is just neutral spirits. It also makes a great Bloody Mary.

Originally Posted By: andyd
OP is Canadian. I suggest Havana Club rum. or Goslings Black seal, or El Dorado Demarara. Rhum

Is Harwood Canadian whisky still out there? They used to sell that stuff in the early '70s at my local grocery (yeah, we do that in Da Swamp, no separate liquor stores). It came only in quarts, as if the producers of Harwood were trying to get rid of the stuff as fast as possible. Drinking it gave me a headache before I went to sleep!

Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral
Originally Posted By: andyd
OP is Canadian. I suggest Havana Club rum. or Goslings Black seal, or El Dorado Demarara. Rhum

Is Harwood Canadian whisky still out there? They used to sell that stuff in the early '70s at my local grocery (yeah, we do that in Da Swamp, no separate liquor stores). It came only in quarts, as if the producers of Harwood were trying to get rid of the stuff as fast as possible. Drinking it gave me a headache before I went to sleep!

shocked2.gif
lol.gif

Sorry, no Harwood availabele here on the West Coast

Thanks so much for the options guys.
I'll take my time with my selection and choose wisely from your suggestions
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Try a nice 10 year old Tawny Port. A 20 yo is much smoother and tastier, and the less than 10s are kind of harsh and an odd sort of sweet. For someone who doesn't normally drink port, buy based on price point. They'll all taste similar.

Also, I'm a gin man. I like Hendricks, but can get bottles of Bombay for the same price as Beafeaters and less than Tanguaray, , so it's my go-to. I like it with cranberry juice or tonice and lime. I've never considered drinking it straight. Is that a thing?

Isn't a classic martini just gin with a splash (or even spray) of vermouth?
Last time I had one, paid something like $30 at an upscale NYC bar and could barely choke the thing down. Figured it would be better than the few I had before with prime quality ingredients, but I was totally wrong...never again.

Originally Posted By: SeaJay
I would get one or two bottles of each, drink em up and then decide which one I liked best.

I like the way you think!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back