Trouble with (certain) new cars at the car wash

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't put a car through a car wash in over a decade. I'd rather do it myself and not have any of the problems associated with car washes, even the touchless or DIY washes.

IMHO, if the owner can afford a ride like that, they can afford to pay to get someone to hand wash it.

Originally Posted By: ls973800
I remember reading a post about this on the new 2016 Honda Pilot forum. Supposedly an owner with the 9 speed transmission went through a car wash and suffered 5K worth of damage to the transmission.

http://www.piloteers.org/forums/114-2016-third-generation-pilot/115713-car-wash-mode.html

This is a result of people who failed to park with the push button type gear selector.. they then add safety features.. If they somehow out-darwin the safety features .. stuff like that can happen.

An example of why they added the safety features.. is
http://www.eonline.com/news/773894/anton-yelchin-star-trek-s-chekov-dies-in-a-car-crash-at-age-27

I don't use car washes, but would suck if I did and did not know about this "feature". I was going to say I would never have this, but we are looking into a Grand Cherokee in the next year or so.

Sorry, but I'm having a hard time understanding the issue here. Anyone who buys a car with features that are new to them, such as collision avoidance systems, should take the time to read the Owner's Manual and become familiar with these new functions. Especially a function that is as sophisticated as collision avoidance.

It seems that as soon as you read a section that states the collision avoidance system will detect an automatic car wash system, and activate the brake, that would be an "Ah! Of Course. Makes perfect sense." moment. And anyone who is not a candidate for natural selection would then learn what step(s) are necessary to disable the collision system for an automatic car wash, or other similar events.

What's so hard about that? If people are so willing and to learn how to link their smartphone to a new car's infotainment system, they better darn well be willing to learn how to use the safety systems in a car.
33.gif

Last edited:
I think the key piece highlighted in the article is that there is no standard for a lot of these systems. When my wife took her new RAV4 through a car wash every alarm and warning light started going off but didn't take control of the vehicle. I'm guessing it was smart enough to determine that if it was sensing so many "threats" and was in neutral that something wasn't making sense. So instead of taking control it just made sure the driver was notified and could take appropriate action.

The key to having a safety system that actually improves safety is to make it passive. If you require the driver to learn how to use it for it to function properly, the tool will get shutoff and never thought about again. Now, most on this board will take the time to learn the car but that is not true of the general populace.

I am pleased that so many here are eternal optimists that feel owners of new vehicles are going to read their owners manual.

Not. Going. To. Happen.

Don't shoot me. I am one of the few who does read EVERYTHING, as would most BITOG members and OCD sufferers.

The OEM's should be programming these high tech cars to know when they are 3 metres from entrance to car wash and going less than 5km/h via GPS technology. If both these conditions are met, then the car could allow rolling in neutral.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I haven't put a car through a car wash in over a decade. I'd rather do it myself and not have any of the problems associated with car washes, even the touchless or DIY washes.

I agree, I love hand washing my cars... But in the winter the automatic wash is a life saver (for the car) An under body spray to get the salt off is just what the doctor ordered. Of course my current car is old school so I have no problem using automatic washes.

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

I agree, I love hand washing my cars... But in the winter the automatic wash is a life saver (for the car) An under body spray to get the salt off is just what the doctor ordered. Of course my current car is old school so I have no problem using automatic washes.

I'm lucky in a way, we do get occasional breaks in the weather so I can pull the hose out and get a wash in from time to time and get the salt and junk off. Further north and I would probably go to a coin operated self wash if needed.

BHopkins, there is a failure in the logic of your post; the whole reason these "features" are mandated is that most people do not WANT to learn how to properly operate a car. They want everything done for them, then when the system fails, they have someone to blame other than themselves. Buy a Tesla, get behind the wheel and read a book or play a video game, crash into something, then sue Tesla. This is an extension of the "sue McDonald's because their coffee is hot" syndrome.

Anyone who needs "collision avoidance" nanny gadgets on their vehicle DOES NOT belong behind the wheel,period. They either need a bus pass or a good reliable bicycle.

Thinking for you is the way technology is going. Then comes the government. They think for you, too because they are here to take care of us. Very soon now, you will not be able to buy a new car without all this "stuff". It's good for you because someone knows you want and need it. With this technology you will soon be able to commute without being distracted by such trivial matters as stopping, staying in your lane or even knowing how to navigate to your destination. People already have the being distracted while on their "smart" phone part of the deal. For them this technology needs to catch up before they kill someone if they haven't, already. I just hope to be able to avoid becoming collateral damage while these technology people and the government try to undo the problems they caused by unintended consequences.

The only issue I see is that it's common for courteous people who borrow vehicles to top up the gas and run them through the wash before returning them. I guarantee panic will result.

On the other hand, here's the owner's chance to run them through the Car Wash mode de-activation process. Hint, hint.

Of course, I actually know how to drive, and pay attention when I'm driving. So I'd probably turn most of this stuff off before I left the dealer's lot, if somehow you could convince me to buy a showroom-new vehicle in the first place. Good luck with that.

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
IMHO, if the owner can afford a ride like that, they can afford to pay to get someone to hand wash it.

You'll be amazed at how many people will go to a high-end car wash - and they still run the car through a tunnel. My cousin lives near a ritzy town and there's so many BMWs, Benzes, Range Rovers and Teslas that go through it. Lexus and Acura doesn't count.:p

I haven't gotten a Zipcar Subaru with Eyesight or newer Toyota(Toyota and Lexus is now making their Pre-Collision System standard on all - maybe the FR-S since that is Subaru-based), and I doubt I'll remember to turn off PCS if I need to run one of those through the wash.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BHopkins
Sorry, but I'm having a hard time understanding the issue here. Anyone who buys a car with features that are new to them, such as collision avoidance systems, should take the time to read the Owner's Manual and become familiar with these new functions. Especially a function that is as sophisticated as collision avoidance.

I rent cars quite often but I can't say I've ever stopped to read the manual. I don't usually wash them either but I suppose it could happen (long rental period, bad roads, messy car, better weather, etc).

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Anyone who needs "collision avoidance" nanny gadgets on their vehicle DOES NOT belong behind the wheel,period. They either need a bus pass or a good reliable bicycle.

We know-your a perfect driver. You have NEVER made a mistake behind the wheel.

I don't believe the above statement for a minute.

And you do realize those systems will be standard on every car in the future? Don't you?

They have made many safety advances since 1996.

This is yet another BITOGism-PHOBIA OF NEW CAR TECHNOLOGY.......

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back