Switchblades

Status
Not open for further replies.
not in tx, as of 2013.....your mileage may vary............watch your local city ordinances tho........I have heard that the Corpus Christi police are STILL arresting people down there for carrying switchblades............

also, repairing or manufacturing them may still be illegal...........go figure...........

I wouldn't go by that list. I know of two states that the list is wrong and not to sure about my own state as the liberals here seem to change the rules very fast.

I have a few. They really aren't that big of a deal. I guess the politicians don't like them.

If the Feds where more involved why are the knives almost all imported or are they sent here as parts then assembled here? Have a couple unique models and a Boker. The hawks bill I have where for instant out of riding gear while riding horses.

The Feds issue them to their LE types and to some in the military. Funny how the govt can have something which is illegal for you to own.
On the other hand, not so funny.

Smoky

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
Why are switchblade knives illegal?

For the same reason our second amendment is infringed all over the country

I do not believe it has anything to do with any encroachment on the 2nd amendment; nor any kind of presumption that switchblades somehow automagically turn people into raving maniacs... It's the **jazz hands** we're trying to eradicate.
lol.gif

west-side-story-knife.jpg

Originally Posted By: CT8
Switchblades turn their owners into killers,,,, instantly.

i thought a kitchen cleaver is more efficient and legal too...
or any big kitchen knife with a good solid handle...

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
Why are switchblade knives illegal?

Because they make your leather jacket too bulky to wear over your white tee-shirt with cigarettes rolled up in the sleeves...

Yes, the same reason that switchblades and brass knuckles are prohibited weapons in Canada - some people found film noir scary and we're stuck with ridiculous, not to mention ridiculously outdated, legislation. This city has a huge knife problem, and I don't think switchblades ever figured much in the problem, nor has their ban accomplished much of anything.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
They are scary, especially in movies, and we can't have things that look scary in society.

Yep...

So Oz has the same sentence for possession as an AR15 (yeah, they look svary too if you are conditioned to it), or ballistic vests (in case they NEED to shoot you), or slingshots.

They then extended it to butterfly knives, and knives that can be "flicked" open", and are now going after knives that can simply be opened one handed by thumb action.

Those who say that there's no "slippery slope" need to watch Oz in action.

Switchblades are only illegal to sell across state lines. They are legal to own/possess/carry in many states, although your state has the ultimate discretion on this. Around here, they are openly sold at gun shows and the like...a friend of mine sold one to a police officer not too long ago.

With that said, I've turned into a bit of a knife snob and about the only knives I carry are Case CV yellow handle folders(not that they're exactly high end). I have a switchblade or two put back, and in all honesty mine and most of the others I see are really pretty junky knives. The steel is not that good and the overall construction feels flimsy.

The hot thing now are "open assist" knives. There are a lot of companies making these at all price points and with all kinds of blade types. Most are quite substantial feeling, although many tend toward a "tactical" type look/construction. Typically these have a thumb stud or lever that you push to start the blade opening and then the "open assist" mechanism takes over to open the blade the rest of the way(and often quite forcibly-don't get your hand in the way). They are 100% legal at the federal level and I don't think any states take issue with them unless they exceed some arbitrary blade length. Functionally, the only difference between them and a switchblade is that you physically start opening the blade yourself(even if it's only a tiny amount) whereas a switchblade opens entirely on its own. A person familiar with one can open one just as fast and easily as a switch blade-unlike the my preferred old fashioned slip joints, they can be opened one-handed.

Much like the 1934 NFA that banned "gangster" guns, most switchblade laws were targeted at "gang knives" in the 50s. I just don't see a lot of demand for switchblades to return since open assists are just as easy to use.

BTW, around here and in a lot of Southern rural parts of the country, carrying a knife is just something that you do. I have quite a few pocket knives, including several that belonged to each of my grandfathers. With a few exceptions, I keep all my knives(even the old ones) sharp enough to shave with along with spending some time regularly oiling the blades and doing other general maintenance. As I said, though, I mostly stick to recent production CV yellow handles-if I lose a knife I'd rather lose a $40 one that's easily replaceable. I've never even considered my knife any kind of weapon or defensive tool, even though the one I'm carrying might come out of my pocket a half dozen times a day. It's just a general tool to cut stuff, whether it's a open a letter or box or cutting a slice of an apple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back