Need a new bathroom toilet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Triple_Se7en

$50 Site Donor 2024
This one is for the half-bath in the basement. The current unit was one of the original lousy flush-models that began to replace the five gal toilets that were outlawed around 20-25 years ago. It's a slow, weak flusher and I'm looking to replace it.

Don't need anything fancy. Just your basic STRONG flusher. I have a Lowes and Home Depot nearby.
Thanks for any replies in advance.

I've installed several Kohler Wellworth toilets. They're about $120 or so at HD. Sometimes on sale.

What I like about them is that the tank uses a tripod arrangement (3 bolts instead of 2), so it sits squarely on the bowl, rather than leaning forward or back. It has a powerful flush, too. I share the BR with my two boys (wife evicted me), and we never have an issue.

Last edited:
I usually get an American Standard Cadet. They usually have an all in one kit. I don't like the Kohler Wellworth toilets anymore as they use a canister flush valve and you can't just replace it with a standard flush valve kit that you can at any Home Depot/Lowes. If you want to go fancy, just order a Toto toilet, they're usually around $200 mail order and they get pretty decent reviews.

I have a relatively new Kohler Wellworth toilet and an almost new American Standard Cadet in my home. Both are used a lot. Both have never clogged and flush great. I do however recommend the Kohler over American Standard. The Kohler bowl scours better when flushed and definately stays cleaner.
I have a Toto at my office. It has clogged a time or two.

I have the champion 4 elongated and it is very good. We also have the american standard round bowl toilet in our small bathroom and it is prone to clogs.

Either way we save a ton of water.

I have those weak low-flow (1.6 gallon) toilets. Instead of replacing them, I just make it a habit to hold the lever down a few seconds. So they basically become 2.5 gal toilets. Who cares if I'm using more water... It keeps the toilet from clogging. This is a cheaper solution than spending hundreds on new toilets

I have a Wellworth and a more expensive Toto installed at the same time . they have been in service for 4 years and the Toto needed repair as it started leaking at the flush mechanism.It was a easy fix of replacing the valve. So far the Wellworth as been flawless.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
I usually get an American Standard Cadet. They usually have an all in one kit. I don't like the Kohler Wellworth toilets anymore as they use a canister flush valve and you can't just replace it with a standard flush valve kit that you can at any Home Depot/Lowes. If you want to go fancy, just order a Toto toilet, they're usually around $200 mail order and they get pretty decent reviews.

OP,
"He knows what he knows: he's a realtor...!"
I would recommed American Standard Cadet 3 (just so you stay in budget= hunt for sales/this is the season/10% coupons at lowes/homedepot, plus parts are available at homedepot/lowes) with AZJeff's recommandations:
Originally Posted By: AzJeff

Comfort height, elongated, slow close seat. Your world will be a better place.

also, don't use the tiny wax seal that comes in the kit: purchase the ticker one or the Greenseal (no more sticky wax)
also check your water valve and maybe change the water supply line too.

do not use the bleach pills in the tank EVER!

my recommendation is based on 3 years and 2 toilets usage which also includes small kids..... they didn't get them stuck...

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
Whatever brand you get, go for the elongated bowl with the comfort height 1.5 inches higher than standard. Your butts will appreciate it as you get older.

small corrections: your knees
your butts will appreciate a seat warmer in cool MI...

I was going to replace one, but read about using vinegar to clean the water jets. Did wonders.

Originally Posted By: pandus13

OP,
"He knows what he knows: he's a realtor...!"
I would recommed American Standard Cadet 3 (just so you stay in budget= hunt for sales/this is the season/10% coupons at lowes/homedepot, plus parts are available at homedepot/lowes) with AZJeff's recommandations:
Originally Posted By: AzJeff

Comfort height, elongated, slow close seat. Your world will be a better place.

also, don't use the tiny wax seal that comes in the kit: purchase the ticker one or the Greenseal (no more sticky wax)
also check your water valve and maybe change the water supply line too.

do not use the bleach pills in the tank EVER!

my recommendation is based on 3 years and 2 toilets usage which also includes small kids..... they didn't get them stuck...

Actually I'm also a landlord with 10+ units over the last 10+ years. I've changed out a lot of them. As a landlord, I don't really care how clean they are, just how long they last and how easy they are to repair. You can't get a canister flush valve from Home Depot and every day your toilet leaks/runs, the water bill ends up going higher.

Actually I'm also a landlord with 10+ units over the last 10+ years. I've changed out a lot of them. As a landlord, I don't really care how clean they are, just how long they last and how easy they are to repair. You can't get a canister flush valve from Home Depot and every day your toilet leaks/runs, the water bill ends up going higher.

[off-topic]
I've inserted my post after yours and quoted you because i thought i completed your info with a bit more details.
I value your info and experience. (many years of realtor + landlord + investor=rare unicorn)
i was not being facetious.
If i Come that way, apologies respectfully extended.
[/off-topic]

Originally Posted By: pandus13

[off-topic]
I've inserted my post after yours and quoted you because i thought i completed your info with a bit more details.
I value your info and experience. (many years of realtor + landlord + investor=rare unicorn)
i was not being facetious.
If i Come that way, apologies respectfully extended.
[/off-topic]

Sorry, I just read it too quick and I may have jumped the gun myself.

I started out with Kohler Wellworths as they had decent reviews but then eventually got rid of them as the canisters went bad. American Standard Cadet series gets good reviews and I haven't had too many complaints about the ones I've put in and I may have replaced the flush valve in a couple of them at this point, but otherwise they seem fine. Some people out there love Toto toilets and they're probably fine if you're going to live in the place, but it's a bit too much for me as a landlord. They also get great reviews, but like everything, you may get a lemon here and there.

I have a Mansfield Cascade comfort height. It has a powerful flush, but what really makes it great is that it resists staining better than most toilets.
Home Depot and Lowes don't sell them. I got mine from a local plumbing supply place for $200.
Also, no seat is included.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back