BP/Castrol to return to F1 with McLaren

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joe got credit on the air for this from Crofty during free practice two today. I'm glad, and not surprised, that Castrol got back into the game, but am a bit surprised at the Mobil and McLaren partnership ending. Nonetheless, I understand Red Bull striking out on their own with their own lubricant and fuels partner, rather than being necessarily tied to whatever lubricant and fuels partner Renault has, which has been Total for some time. Crofty hinted that Red Bull's new fuel and lubricant partner (he didn't specifically mention Esso/Mobil on air, at least while I was listening) would also serve STR, which will also be using Renault's engines.

Personally, I would have liked to see Castrol return to Williams, but that's just my personal preference.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Joe got credit on the air for this from Crofty during free practice two today. I'm glad, and not surprised, that Castrol got back into the game, but am a bit surprised at the Mobil and McLaren partnership ending. Nonetheless, I understand Red Bull striking out on their own with their own lubricant and fuels partner, rather than being necessarily tied to whatever lubricant and fuels partner Renault has, which has been Total for some time. Crofty hinted that Red Bull's new fuel and lubricant partner (he didn't specifically mention Esso/Mobil on air, at least while I was listening) would also serve STR, which will also be using Renault's engines.

Personally, I would have liked to see Castrol return to Williams, but that's just my personal preference.

Very interesting indeed. Like you, i'm surprised BP has come in at the expense of the long relationship between Mobil1 McLaren.

After the last 2 years I suspect ExxonMobil jumped ship. When I first heard reports I thought it must have been Williams. Honda and Castrol have some history together. I think it's good for both Parties

Originally Posted By: supercity
Why do you think the is the final nail in the coffin?

In terms of XOM being a lubricant partner to McLaren in motorsports, M1 bailing on the McLaren F1 program was all that was left. All that remains is the road cars... That's not gonna last much longer either.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: edyvw
Originally Posted By: Flying_A
This is essentially the final nail in the coffin for Mclaren in dropping M1 for all of their lubricant needs... This type of thing happened with their factory and customer GT3 teams earlier this year as well:

https://www.motul.com/za/en/news/motul-forges-new-links-with-leading-mclaren-gt-teams-for-2016

Or M1 is saving money since XOM is really not doing good!

Not doing well? XOM's profit was almost 22 billion for 2015, which, while down, is still a profit. This was on revenues of 269 billion.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
This is essentially the final nail in the coffin for Mclaren in dropping M1 for all of their lubricant needs... This type of thing happened with their factory and customer GT3 teams earlier this year as well:

https://www.motul.com/za/en/news/motul-forges-new-links-with-leading-mclaren-gt-teams-for-2016

Not doing well? XOM's profit was almost 22 billion for 2015, which, while down, is still a profit. This was on revenues of 269 billion.

I didn't say they weren't doing well, that was the OP... That being said, they have taken a number of black eyes on the downstream side of things over the last 5 years. Losing the NA contract with Honda which they had for 25 years for starters, that's tens of millions of finished lubes a year and there are legitimate rumors they will lose the Mercedes contract
next year, the global in service fill to Shell.

Last edited:

I didn't say they weren't doing well, that was the OP... That being said, they have taken a number of black eyes on the downstream side of things over the last 5 years. Losing the NA contract with Honda which they had for 25 years for starters, that's tens of millions of finished lubes a year and there are legitimate rumors they will lose the Mercedes contract
next year, the global in service fill to Shell.

I was responding to edyvw actually, hence the quote
smile.gif

They lost Chrysler to SOPUS thanks to the Fiat/Chrysler merger as well. Castrol lost BMW to SOPUS. SOPUS is actively looking to clean house on the downstream side from what I can see. They are very aggressively pursuing contracts that other big names hold.

The problem is long term projection due to their investments in really expensive drilling that now is not paying off at all.
It could be just nothing, investors panicking, but....
CNN Money article

The problem is long term projection due to their investments in really expensive drilling that now is not paying off at all.
It could be just nothing, investors panicking, but....
CNN Money article

Interesting article. They are a still a money making company though, unlike say GM before GM tanked. While profits are down, they are still pretty bloody decent. I'll start to get worried when they head the direction GM did, which would, IMHO, be a trend that would be hard to reverse. Shell has invested obscene amounts in various facilities as well like their GTL plant in Qatar. XOM lost a big chunk of change on one of those as well. Ultimately what concerns me is more of what Flying_A pointed out, which is their loss of prestigious factory fill contracts and service fill contracts with marques like Honda and the potentially impending one with Mercedes, which is significant. I would hope they can retain that.

I doubt that a Red Bull fuel/lubricants partnership will save them any money over a McLaren fuel/lubricants partnership.

They lost Chrysler to SOPUS thanks to the Fiat/Chrysler merger as well. Castrol lost BMW to SOPUS. SOPUS is actively looking to clean house on the downstream side from what I can see. They are very aggressively pursuing contracts that other big names hold.

Too bad they struggle so much on general distribution in Canada.
wink.gif
They could learn a lot from Wakefield about how to keep a small shop happy and fully stocked.

Quote:
Interesting article. They are a still a money making company though, unlike say GM before GM tanked. While profits are down, they are still pretty bloody decent. I'll start to get worried when they head the direction GM did, which would, IMHO, be a trend that would be hard to reverse. Shell has invested obscene amounts in various facilities as well like their GTL plant in Qatar. XOM lost a big chunk of change on one of those as well. Ultimately what concerns me is more of what Flying_A pointed out, which is their loss of prestigious factory fill contracts and service fill contracts with marques like Honda and the potentially impending one with Mercedes, which is significant. I would hope they can retain that.

All this makes me wonder whether story about loosing BMW LL-01 certification is much more complex then: oh they are in middle of formulation change.
If they loose Mercedes, then that would be serious development.
GM was once greatest company, and managers managed to screw it up because of greed for fast profit. Cannot see why that cannot happen to any company, including XOM. It is though kind of American thing, where companies go down and up really fast, usually due to CEO's trying to rack up bonuses fast, by cutting things to show profit on balance sheets, jeopardizing long term future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back