New Russian ICBM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Currently under development - would have highest payload of any ICBM ever - reportedly up to 10 tons. Liquid-fueled, which is unusual to me. I don't think we have any more liquid-fueled ICBMs. Too much maintenance, not nearly as stable as solid-fueled rockets. But our largest ICBM ever, the Titan II (made by Martin Co.) was liquid-fueled. They were taken out of service back in the 80s.

Titan II:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGM-25C_Titan_II

The Russians have always made it a point to build things bigger than we do - airplanes, submarines, and nukes.

RS-28 Sarmat:

https://www.rt.com/news/363981-russian-icbm-sarmat-missile/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RS-28_Sarmat

Comparison of world ICBMs:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_ICBMs

Tsar Bomba, the largest thermonuclear weapon ever detonated, at 50MT yield (a 100MT max yield was actually possible; it was reduced in the interest of reducing fallout):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsar_Bomba

I've always been fascinated by nuclear weapons - the physics, the chemistry of the nuclear explosives themselves, as well as the systems that have been invented to deliver the weapons.

Let's try to keep politics out of this - I think this can be a great discussion, and I wouldn't want it to get shut down.

I know we have quite a few chemists, physicists, scientists, etc. here - I'd love to hear their comments and thoughts. Everything I've read and seen indicates that the Manhattan Project was a project of almost insurmountable difficulty, and that it was flat-out incredible that they achieved success, way back in the '40s.

Anybody here work in the USAF's missile forces?

Did 6 Poseidon Missile sub patrols 35+ years ago. Long ago where most of the details are gone from memory. As Comm Officer I was involved in the launch order/authentication protocols. Inventorying the launch code authenticators every Blue to Gold crew turnover raised the anxiety levels. The tread mill we used for exercise was outboard of missile compartment lower level.

Well thanks for your service,sir. Kinda scares me that the old and cold war seems to be coming back. I just wish we could have a hockey game and settle this. War doesn't determine who's right,only who is left. Lost my friend from high school in Iraq and its a shame to see another potential war coming.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
Did 6 Poseidon Missile sub patrols 35+ years ago. Long ago where most of the details are gone from memory. As Comm Officer I was involved in the launch order/authentication protocols. Inventorying the launch code authenticators every Blue to Gold crew turnover raised the anxiety levels. The tread mill we used for exercise was outboard of missile compartment lower level.

That's fantastic. As Marco also said, thank you for your service. I only mentioned USAF, but should have referenced the USN as well, since they make up half our nuclear triad!

Originally Posted By: Marco620
Well thanks for your service,sir. Kinda scares me that the old and cold war seems to be coming back. I just wish we could have a hockey game and settle this. War doesn't determine who's right,only who is left. Lost my friend from high school in Iraq and its a shame to see another potential war coming.

What did you expect? Russia is surrounded and it feels threatened.

There are no more "buffer zones" countries in the Eastern Europe, the US keeps pouring man and equipment at the door steps of the Russian Bear all while the US top brass is getting a major woody, the Russians ramp up rearmament and becoming more aggressive.

It seems that the only ones that understand just how bad the situation is, are people of the former "buffer countries", that understood that when the SHTF, countries such as Poland, Moldova Republic,Romania, Bulgaria and Ukraine will be turned into a battleground and no matter who the winner of a conflict might be, they will get the brown side of the stick...

IN BEFORE THE LOCK
25.gif

The Russians feel betrayed because they think the US reneged on its promise to not draw Ukraine into its sphere of influence...the current administration (and any to follow) would just say that "promise" was made somebody who is out of power now and it is worthless if not spelled out formally in a treaty. My view is that the world is better off with as little territory as possible dominated by a country as dysfunctional as Russia, barring starting WWIII, but Putin isn't going to see things that way.
Russia is also rapidly going broke and rattling their sabers is one way to try to intimidate the Western powers into dropping sanctions...if the US and Germany can stay strong against them for a few more years, maybe Putin will have to sell "his" naval base at Sebastopol (the whole point of annexing Crimea) for cold hard cash to feed his people.
Wait, he doesn't care if people eat! What was I thinking...

As for the ICBM, liquid fueled is a big step back. I haven't looked into it, but I'd guess that this means they quickly modified one of their big lifters for space missions (which do not need to launch on a few minutes notice) to save money. The story used to be that the Russians used big warheads because their guidance systems were poor, but this sounds more like an effort to just terrorize the rest of the world...which, honestly, is the point of any nuke in anybody's hands. There is already tremendous overcapacity in nukes to make the world uninhabitable, I guess the new [censored] will just leave a bigger hole full of the scattered molecules of dead people.

Last edited:
I wish the powers to be would do everything in their power to avoid Cold War 2.0.

Of course, Russia invading Crimea and taking it doesn't calm tensions.

Originally Posted By: Marco620
War determined that the Germans wouldn't own half the world.

Originally Posted By: rshaw125
We should be talking to and not antagonizing the Russians. For some reason Washington continues to stir things up.

..in Russia, China, North Korea...etc...

We should be talking to and not antagonizing the Russians. For some reason Washington continues to stir things up.

We aren't the ones destabilizing Eastern Europe by invading Crimea with unmarked troops, then calling the action some euphemistic phrase like saying they "came home". Then having troops bleed over into other areas of Ukraine.

Our anti aircraft missiles aren't shooting down commercial airliners over eastern Europe - theirs are.
Either by their own actions or letting the crazies get their hands on these weapons- either way Blood of those civilians is on Moscows hands.

We arent supporting the Assad regime so he can kill more or his own people.
Putins making sure his boy..ahem... "client" over there is well protected and he gets to sell them all kinds of weapons - like the chemical ones that we then we then have to help pay to dismantle because the kids can't cover the bills for their own toys.

We aren't breaking the nuke treaties - they are.

Im not saying we haven't made our mistakes - but the Russians arent the "good guys" here either.

UD

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: UncleDave

We aren't the ones destabilizing Eastern Europe by invading Crimea with unmarked troops, then calling the action some euphemistic phrase like saying they "came home". Then having troops bleed over into other areas of Ukraine.

Our anti aircraft missiles aren't shooting down commercial airliners over eastern Europe - theirs are.
Either by their own actions or letting the crazies get their hands on these weapons- either way Blood of those civilians is on Moscows hands.

Putins making sure his boy..ahem... "client" over there is well protected and he gets to sell them all kinds of weapons - like the chemical ones that we then we then have to help pay to dismantle because the kids can't cover the bills for their own toys.

Im not saying we haven't made our mistakes - but the Russians arent the "good guys" here either.

UD

No what we're doing is the equivalent of the Russians becoming allies with Mexico. Right on our door step. As for Syria... let the Russians deal with it. Get rid of Assad? Who takes his place? Like Libya another US disaster. Stay out we only make things worse.

You might want to read some Eastern European History post 1917.

According to an opinion poll in February conducted by pollster GfK, 93% of the people asked said that they were happy that Crimea was under Russian control. (http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-31869747)

We live in north america and we have little to no idea about how life is over there other than what is parroted by government owned media. Maybe the take over of Crimea was more of a liberation from Ukraine. We don't entirely know but it has resulted in a better life for them as the majority may have always felt that they were more Russian than Ukrainian.

Putin is smart, he sees through the compound lies in mess in Syria, he is cleaning up the Russian mafias, he does what he says he is going to do.

These weapons should be of great concern as NATO can't compete with them other than nukes (which we don't really know how many we really have of those either.) Russians have better jets, better a lot of things and NATO had better not corner the bear.

Originally Posted By: UncleDave

UD

No what we're doing is the equivalent of the Russians becoming allies with Mexico. Right on our door step. As for Syria... let the Russians deal with it. Get rid of Assad? Who takes his place? Like Libya another US disaster. Stay out we only make things worse.

You mean like What Russia did w/Cuba?

So why not just let Assad stay and send him a medal?
Remember - the [censored] in Syria didnt start until he started killing his own people protesting.

Libya was a disaster we should had steered clear of but it was a primarily a EURO led disaster helped by the US & Nato because of our strategic capability. The EU ran out of smart weapons on day 3 (classic EU asking the US for military help all the while trying to steal our industry) and begged us to intervene.It sure didnt help Libyas case when they murdered our people in Bengazi.

UD

Yup.

If we don't find a way to back this down fast it will.

UD

Last edited:
You'all remember the Top Gear episode where they went from Crimea to northern Ukrain? The biggest warm water sub-pen the Russians had was in Crimea. They wanted it back. They got it. Sort of like Diego Garcia for us...

But the deal here is that most folks forget Russia is a USA neighbor. They are no further away than Mexico. We don't treat Mexico all that well and we don't treat the Russians any better. That's a shame. We should have made a better attempt to meet as people and not as military ... Maybe next time?

Seems to me it was all working out pretty well with the Russians before Crimea.

They had global international investment from the EU and the US and great trade with everyone.

I/We did mucho business in /with Russia myself it was about 25% of my European number - then Crimea happened.

Remember when Obama laughed and made fun of Romney when Romney said we needed to be cautious with Russia?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fact...foreign-policy/

UD

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back