Is this a wood fireplace/chimney or gas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks to me like a wood burning fireplace with a gas log installed.
What do you all think?
IMAG2214.jpg

IMAG2215.jpg

Little moisture there, I'm about 75% done grinding and re-tuckpointing the chimney.

IMAG2217.jpg

IMAG2221.jpg

Damper looks just like the wood fireplace at the cabin.

IMAG2222.jpg

Gas pipe coming in

IMAG2224.jpg

The damper bracket that the handle catches on seems to be installed backwards. The only position it will stay open is 100% because it falls past vertical.

IMAG2213.jpg

Top part ground out and ready for new mortar

IMAG2188.jpg

Top right was my first attempt at pointing. Lol
Got a little better next time see bottom left.
Top left you can see bricks arent perfect and a little uneven from water damage.

IMAG2146.jpg

I added a slanted cement cap on top of the existing flat crown. I think that was the majority of my issues.

Just bought this place.
Enjoy.

Nice job. I did some amateur re-pointing on my exterior brick work as well 2 yrs ago. And so far it's held up very well. The chimney is probably over 50 years old and had no previous maintenance as far as I could tell. If any of the bricks were a bit spalled I tucked in some mortar on them. I did a lot of research on a suitable brick and mortar sealant that would allow them to breath yet expel moisture, and reduce cracking/spalling from winter freezing. And around here we get a lot of winter rain that freezes at night.

Didn't want to spend the $100-$200 for the really high tech, high % silicon stuff. Ended up with the UGL Drylock 5% silicone available at Sherwin Williams for around $25 per gallon. I re-coated it a couple weeks ago but it really didn't need it. That stuff held up very well. I think you need more than just a suitable over-hanging chimney cap to preserve all the vertical brick work. An hour or two to coat yours and you'll be set for years. I wish I had done mine years ago. Just didn't know. Either that or enclose it with a weather cover. I'd let the mortar fully cure before adding any sealant. Maybe next season? Or whatever the directions state.

What type of cement did you use for the cap? And what did you use to grind out the brick mortar? Rather than letting the rain fall down the chimney I'd install a screened bird/weather cap over the ceramic flue top. Any water not going down the chimney is less wear and tear. $30-$40 from Home Depot or Lowes

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
Looks to me like a wood burning fireplace with a gas log installed.
What do you all think?

Wood burning fireplace with a gas log lighter. That makes for an easy conversion to a gas insert.

Ed

Good looking job of repairing and restoring the chimney. I would look into getting a nice energy efficient gas insert. Folks over at Hearth.com may give you some better ideas or answers to any ?s.
I would get a proper cap on the flue before a squirrel finds its way into your home

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
Nice job.
What type of cement did you use for the cap? And what did you use to grind out the brick mortar? Rather than letting the rain fall down the chimney I'd install a screened bird/weather cap over the ceramic flue top. Any water not going down the chimney is less wear and tear. $30-$40 from Home Depot or Lowes

Thanks, I used a sand based/topping mix. I added some acrylic bonding adhesive to help it attach to the old stuff.
to grind it out i used a Makita angle grinder
61uc4HcwltL._SL1000_.jpg

and used this wheel it is like 2 small diamond blades with a small gap for material to go in between them
81oRCdmt3xL._SL1500_.jpg

I have a metal cover for rain/squirrels i just had it removed while I added the extra cement crown.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back