Engine Code AND ABS Light Reset Tool

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking for opinions on a cost effective tool that will handle both engine code reading/reset and ABS light reset. The car in question is a BMW and I've looked at Peake as well as the Schwaben tool by Foxwell. I have a Tacoma and a Tahoe, so the ability to read more than BMW is pretty important to me. Price range? As little $$$ as possible to get the job done. I'm not going to be tweaking anything, just diagnostic use.

Your going to have to spend a pretty decent chunk of change I have a Actron CP9690 Trilingual OBD I/OBD II Elite. I spent a little over $200 for it and it has the features you are looking for but normal ABS with foreign models can be hit or miss. Your most likely not going to get one for cheap that covers everything you need. Typical when buying a higher end consumer scanner you get either domestic or foreign for stuff like ABS coverage.

You can find some scanners out there that will give you a good mix of both but their not perfect and a single model year can be the difference if it will read and reset ABS or not.

Should consider a budget tho for all we know your thinking $80 or upwards of $350 we really don't know but you will have a hard time with the ABS.

Try the X431 Launch Easy Diag Plus. It's about $59 on eBay or $56 on aliexpress. Make sure you get the plus version, that comes with software for 2 manufacturer so that should take care of your BMW and one other car. It works fine on my Mercedes. Works on both iphone and android. It basically reads all the subsystems and if there are error codes, it allows you to reset them. It's interesting running the scan, you find out about problems you didn't even know you had.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Launch-X431-EasyDiag-Plus-2-0-For-Android-or-IOS-Iphone-Easy-Diag-Code-Reader-/262312516571?hash=item3d130b5bdb:m:mFHUoFbp4OY4_fNTcBFMmhQ&item=262312516571&var=&vxp=mtr

That looks interesting, and affordable enough. The ABS reset capable ones I've seen use a round, 20 pin adapter for the BMW vehicles, so not sure it will take care of that issue or not. Still, very interesting looking... thanks!

Good insights; thanks. I was hoping to spend no more than $200.

Originally Posted By: 3800Series
Your going to have to spend a pretty decent chunk of change I have a Actron CP9690 Trilingual OBD I/OBD II Elite. I spent a little over $200 for it and it has the features you are looking for but normal ABS with foreign models can be hit or miss. Your most likely not going to get one for cheap that covers everything you need. Typical when buying a higher end consumer scanner you get either domestic or foreign for stuff like ABS coverage.

You can find some scanners out there that will give you a good mix of both but their not perfect and a single model year can be the difference if it will read and reset ABS or not.

Should consider a budget tho for all we know your thinking $80 or upwards of $350 we really don't know but you will have a hard time with the ABS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back