5. Kimi Raikkonen, 170
6. Max Verstappen, 165
Constructors
1. Mercedes AMG Petronas, 636
2. Red Bull Racing, 400
3. Scuderia Ferrari, 347
4. Sahara Force India, 138
5. Williams Martini Racing, 130

For more, including a race summary, track data, past results, video, and more check out my full post on TOV Motorsports

mapa_remodelaciones_eng.png

What did Vettel say about Charlie Whiting on the radio that was so bad? I couldn't hear it. It sounded garbled. But the announcers acted like he really went off on him.

Can't say that I am really a fan of post race penalties that change the result so late after the race ended. NASCAR does have a point about not taking wins away, not fair to the fans who celebrated a winning car only to have it taken away. If something matters to the FIA so much, they need to take action before the podium ceremony.

Originally Posted By: billt460
I can understand his frustration. But my guess is he just created more problems for himself.

Yes. I hope Charlie has a sense of humour, or that both he and Vettel have decided that this was intentional by Vettel, as in to get Charlie's attention about Verstappen's continual transgressions that have gone unpunished week after week. Otherwise, I fear that Vettel is going to have a long rest of the season, much like Hamilton did a few years ago when he was penalized for everything up to and including sneezing the wrong way.

At least this was done before the podium celebration. Verstappen was the youngest person to ever win a race. Now, he's the only person to ever be turfed from the driver cool down room. All he had to do was give the position back, which the pit wall advised. He declined to do that, so instead, got Charlie Whiting involved in a giant mess and lost two positions instead of one. It didn't cost Red Bull anything, but it cost Max some points. I agree with not wanting to tamper with the celebrations too much, but we also have to remember that these people are clever. Max, and everyone else on the grid, knows full well that the FIA's policy is to examine incidents within the last five laps of the race after the race. If all of a sudden they decide to never change the top three after the race, then we have to be expecting shenanigans among the top few drivers in the last five laps of every race, if they're close enough to do so. After all, if a result cannot be overturned, why not run someone off the track or into a wall?

They need to modify Turn 1 for next year. Dig up the grass and put a nice, deep gravel trap. Anyone takes a short cut, they end up leaving the race on a flat bed. Problem solved. I wouldn't want to see a wall there, with guys exceeding 370 km/h approaching. Failed brakes could become fatal. But, a nice gravel trap will make sure there won't be a repeat.

Good grief. Vettel got demoted to fifth, now, which means Ricciardo gets the third and Verstappen gets the fourth. See here. I guess one should be careful about starting fires, or throwing gasoline on said fires.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Good grief. Vettel got demoted to fifth, now, which means Ricciardo gets the third and Verstappen gets the fourth. See here. I guess one should be careful about starting fires, or throwing gasoline on said fires.

So.... All this amounts to is if you tell the race director to F*#K OFF... twice, it will cost you 2 positions. Or, one position per F*#K.

Originally Posted By: Garak
They need to modify Turn 1 for next year. Dig up the grass and put a nice, deep gravel trap. Anyone takes a short cut, they end up leaving the race on a flat bed. Problem solved. I wouldn't want to see a wall there, with guys exceeding 370 km/h approaching. Failed brakes could become fatal. But, a nice gravel trap will make sure there won't be a repeat.

Put in the walls like what they have at Watkins Glen. All of these "exceeding track limits" issues would be solved by putting an immovable object right at the "exceeding limits" point. Think the walls along Mount Panorama, you look at those wrong and the car is broken.

Yes, Bill. One position per cuss seems to have covered it off. Perhaps Seb should accidentally leave his microphone in the garage next race. I am a fan of his and give him a lot of leeway and think the penalty wasn't deserved (but was within the rules, just poor discretion). He would have been well served to keep his yap shut.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Put in the walls like what they have at Watkins Glen. All of these "exceeding track limits" issues would be solved by putting an immovable object right at the "exceeding limits" point. Think the walls along Mount Panorama, you look at those wrong and the car is broken.

Normally, I'd agree, but with Turn One in Mexico, you could have some very high speeds there if there's a brake failure. That's what gets me nervous. I have no problem with a guy breaking a car because of exceeding track limits. I don't need to see a guy broken, though, because he's going 370 km/h and has no brakes. A gravel trap would end a guy's race without ending the guy.

Nonetheless, yes, this track limits stuff is a bunch of garbage. They have the technology and the people to monitor it as much as they want and as rigorously as they want. It's very simple. If you exceed track limits in free practice or in qualification, that lap time should be deleted, period. If it happens during a race, well, if it gives an advantage, penalize as needed. Obviously, people do run off the road or screw up and don't gain an advantage - if a guy spins and winds up off track, he clearly has violated track limits, but gained no advantage, and doesn't need to be penalized further. If a guy gets tapped by another and runs off the track, he certainly doesn't need a penalty for that. If, during a race, track limits are violated but there is no advantage gained, disqualify the lap from any fastest lap consideration, if it were one of those, for instance. Where people routinely violate track limits, make it costly. If it's safe, have a wall. If it's not safe, toss in a gravel trap.

That corner should be kitty litter for sure. The other runoff area to the right should maybe be rough asphalt with the barriers like at Monza you have to drive around to escape.

I did agree with David Hobbs that maybe they should start the race farther down that straight. Other than that, the track is pretty awesome. Second only to Monza for cool podium setup.

Great to see so many spectators in Mexico!
Hamilton avoids first corner but no penalty, hey he's in the lead.
Max pushes Rosberg off the track,no penalty for Max, hey he's Max we ignore what he does.
After Max gets ahead of Vettel he holds him up so Ricciardo can catch up and get in DRS range.
Hey, he's Max, ain't he sweet, he does what he wants.
Vettel fights off Ricciardo , who should not be there anyway.
Vettel says bad things about Charlie Whiting!

Max get 5 second penalty and loses a place, now that was a shocker!
Vettel get 10 second penalty or whatever it will take to put the Red Bulls ahead of him.
Ricciardo , the shoe drinking clown, is given third place.

Yep,it all seems fair to me.

I can't wait to see what happens in Brazil.

Originally Posted By: Reggaemon

After Max gets ahead of Vettel he holds him up so Ricciardo can catch up and get in DRS range.

What a pile of frog [censored]. Max shagged what was left of his tyres chasing after Rosberg. Vettel was catching him at half a second a lap, and ricciardo on faster tyres was catching Vettel at a second a lap. What did you think was going to happen?

Max was being a ****, but he sure wasn't deliberately sandbagging, he was going hammer and tongs trying to stay ahead of Vettel. You need a longer skirt, your bias is showing.

Originally Posted By: Brad_C

What a pile of frog [censored]. Max shagged what was left of his tyres chasing after Rosberg. Vettel was catching him at half a second a lap, and ricciardo on faster tyres was catching Vettel at a second a lap. What did you think was going to happen?

Max was being a ****, but he sure wasn't deliberately sandbagging, he was going hammer and tongs trying to stay ahead of Vettel. You need a longer skirt, your bias is showing.

Maybe we see thinks differently, but I don't wear a skirt. My oh my, a personal attack. Sorry I'm not a member of your Max Verstappen Fan Club.
Wait I got it. Your not really sticking up for Max , you don't like what I said about Ricciardo. You have to admit drinking from his shoe is stupid.

I've got thick skin, surely you can do better than that. Now show us just how classy you can be.

Last edited:
Ricciardo , the shoe drinking clown, is given third place.

LOL

On HAM vs ROS, that's two races in a row where ROS might have finished 3rd instead of 2nd.

I watch it,but I hate it. I have no favorites. The current formula,the constant rule changes and how they are administered seem
to make the races less important. Rosberg, hot then cold, how can you explain it. Maybe now just doing enough to win the title.

Last edited:
Maybe now just doing enough to win the title.

That's all he needs to do. He would be foolish to do anymore. Would you leave your star Quarterback in, if you were leading by 5 touchdowns in the 4th quarter, with 2 minutes to go?

You have to admit drinking from his shoe is stupid.

Not just stupid. It's foul in every sense.

I don't stick up for anyone who is reasonably criticized, and I certainly don't like Max. Having said that I thought your call that he deliberately backed Vettel into Ricciardo was not only baseless, but biased. The lap times show otherwise. He was going hard on shagged tyres.

I think it's ironic that Vettel was penalized by the rule he was instrumental in implementing, but the telemetry does not lie, he turned in while under braking and caused another driver who was already committed at maximum retardation to lose control and lock up a wheel. It's no secret I like Ricciardo, but I don't think he drove a third place race. He just got lucky that the two guys in front of him both blotted their copy book on this one.

Having said that, he was in the right place at the right time on the right tyre, and had Vettel not been too busy screaming into his radio offending the race director and actually racing he'd have seen it coming and not pulled a **** (and now illegal) move by closing the door half way into the corner because he was too preoccupied to see it and nip it in the bud while the move was still legal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back