Consumer Reports - 2017 predicted reliability

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's listed in the issue that just came out. A worst case I noticed: Sub-compact SUV, Subaru Crosstrek=81, Jeep Renegade=8. (100 very good, 1 very bad). All the Jeeps were bad but the Renegade was the worst. Nothing like spending $30,000 on a new Jeep to end up with an unreliable vehicle.

This article was predictions for 2017 models.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Chris142
Jeep really went down hill with MB then Fiat.

The "little" Jeeps like the Patriot and the car-like ones have been a real mistake IMHO. Not the idea, but the execution. It has been poor.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
8?!?

It's just a rating from 1 to 100, where with a very low number your likely to need a lot of repairs. Close to 100 and you should expect a reliable vehicle. It's not a percentage either.

Eh, I don't know.

My mom has a 2012 Jeep Patriot 2.0L CVT. The only thing that has gone wrong is the A/C compressor at 59k miles. Has an extended warranty. CVT had some whining noises but having the CVT fluid changed fixed that.

Decent little car, handles ok, drives fine, is comfortable enough. For the price you can't expect that much more.

Edit: Forgot about oil pan and timing cover leak, it's subpar now that I think of it LOL

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: macarose
Their predictions and reality can be two completely separate things.

http://longtermqualityindex.com/

What exactly is a "powertrain issue" in their speak? And that's all they look at. Their data comes from auctions only which generally get the raged out vehicles. That and True Delta are about the last places I'd trust for reliability data.

CR Even calls out FCA for the junk they have always produced. I thought they were supposed to have that quality thing licked by now?

I would tell Fiat to sell the Jeep brand to Case IH to fix the nonsense.. The best Jeep designs came from the old IH, indeed.

I cannot stand to see Jeep continue to bleed.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Donald
It's listed in the issue that just came out. A worst case I noticed: Sub-compact SUV, Subaru Crosstrek=81, Jeep Renegade=8. (100 very good, 1 very bad). All the Jeeps were bad but the Renegade was the worst. Nothing like spending $30,000 on a new Jeep to end up with an unreliable vehicle.

This article was predictions for 2017 models.
They have been unreiable since the beginning of time it self. People don't buy Jeeps for their reliability.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Eh, I don't know.

My mom has a 2012 Jeep Patriot 2.0L CVT. The only thing that has gone wrong is the A/C compressor at 59k miles. Has an extended warranty. CVT had some whining noises but having the CVT fluid changed fixed that.

Decent little car, handles ok, drives fine, is comfortable enough. For the price you can't expect that much more.

Edit: Forgot about oil pan and timing cover leak, it's subpar now that I think of it LOL

You gave the answer. It's a 4-year-old car and you already replaced some expensive parts + labor work. For the price, there are way more reliable alternatives.

Glad it has an extended warranty.

Does anyone actually care what Consumer Reports thinks anymore? People that buy cars this way are a mystery. Sucks all the joy out of choosing something actually fun to drive.

Originally Posted By: KingCake
Does anyone actually care what Consumer Reports thinks anymore? People that buy cars this way are a mystery. Sucks all the joy out of choosing something actually fun to drive.

I prefer a joyless but cheap lifestyle. Allows me to spend on things that aren't 4 wheeled.

That reminds me: I need a new bike...

My wife's 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4x4 just hit 50,000 100% trouble free miles. My 2008 Cadillac CTS just turned 124k miles with only one issue - timing chains that were replaced under warranty. So reliability is not exactly an easy thing to predict.

I really think all cars made today are pretty much equal in reliability....the main differences that occur are the quality of the little things that break but don't leave you stranded.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
My wife's 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4x4 just hit 50,000 100% trouble free miles. My 2008 Cadillac CTS just turned 124k miles with only one issue - timing chains that were replaced under warranty. So reliability is not exactly an easy thing to predict.

I really think all cars made today are pretty much equal in reliability....the main differences that occur are the quality of the little things that break but don't leave you stranded.

That's been my experience. 20 years of driving mostly GM and Chrysler without any major issues. I buy what I like and enjoy the ride.
19.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back