Oil collection setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I change a bunch of oil and over time by turning the empty qt bottle upside down for 24hrs I collect a quart of oil pretty quickly. I used to do it one at a time over another quart.

So I came of with this idea to where I can do 5qts at one time. I can add to it if I want, some of my oil changes are 8qts. I do use gallons and have not tried to put a gallon on here but think I can make it work.

It is still work in progress as to how I want to mount it. Didn't want to screw into the garage wall, thus the reason for the plywood and rubber tubes holding it up.

I also chamfered the inside of the pieces so the oil would run down and not collect on the inside of the connections.

I looked all over to find the best price on the fittings and it turned out our local Ace Hardware was the cheapest, even less than Lowe's.

I washed everything out really good to make sure there wasn't any plastic dust from all the grinding with my dremel. Now let the oil changes begin.
smile.gif

Fancy gadget...but if you're using those little bottles, why don't you just cut a hole in the bottoms and stack them, say inside an appropriate diameter bit of PVC tube, so one drains into the other?

That'd be easier to protect from atmospheric dust, which here (sandy agricultural area with no interest in/awareness of soil conservation) would be a threat to such a setup.

Always nice to conserve resources, but I'd worry about contamination, either bits of plastic from th collection apparatus or dust that sticks to oily surfaces when it's not in use. I'd just invert the 1 quart bottles into the mouth of a 5 quart.

I have covers for when it isn't in use. Also where I plan on putting it, it is out of the way and in an are of the garage that is pretty closed up so not much dust around.

Very clever setup. Do you create your own brew of odd oil or just try to keep it all the same grade?

Originally Posted By: Run
Very clever setup. Do you create your own brew of odd oil or just try to keep it all the same grade?

Frankenbrew and I use it in a few lawn mowers I service that are in sad shape. One that was super sludged up and it kind of started running better once I changed it out and put in my oil collection.

Now that I have this set up, I'll try to collect the same grade, I'll keep the bottles closed up tight until I get a few saved up to empty. I'm lucky and have room to store them.

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
cool, it looks like it is floating!

forget that, anybody catch the
MECHANIC ON DUTY!
sign?

man, you earned 7 BITOG points for the setup/sign and a man card star for thinking humanely about the plywood (and using that wood which is driving the wifey crazy...)

[off-topic]
OP,
did i just see a WorkMate on the wall?
and you worked with PVC pipes before, aren't you?
[/off-topic]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back