IIHS Tests Pickup Truck Lighting: Most are Poor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm especially surprised, regarding the report, of the poor objective performance of the F-150's LED system. I guess it demonstrates that technology alone (LED vs. HID vs. halogen) doesn't, in itself, make a good system. Even an OEM didn't get it right, as it apparently exhibited the worst of both worlds at the same time (poor lighting for the driver AND excessive glare to oncomers). Glare, even from factory halogens, is a constant problem as noted in this report, making HID retrofitters' claims of low glare appear pretty humorous to me.

Interesting comments about sealed beam headlights. I've owned a number of them, and have nothing against them but, at the same time, I'm not sure I've owned many vehicles with composite lamp systems that performed WORSE than a USDOT-spec sealed beam. The two Cadillacs I had were pretty bad -- the '97 had some fairly poor facet lens composite lamps (but they were glass!) that didn't perform all that well, and the '01 had projectors that were notably poor. Everything else, though, from our '03 Grand Caravan up through the ones we own today, seem to light up the road VERY well compared to the sealed beam vehicles I've had. I even had the 6054 Night Hawks in my '95 Nissan truck, supposedly one of the best USDOT-spec models you can get. The obvious drawback of sealed beams is that of aerodynamics.

I actually favor a hybrid of the two systems (composite and sealed beam), and it's akin to something Datsun/Nissan did many years ago (as have others). They had a round sealed beam lamp in their 280ZX BEHIND a composite covering. That gave the car the aerodynamics the engineers were looking for and the low cost the bean counters were looking for. My concept is a "plug and play" lamp system that decouples the styling (front) of the lamp from the light source (rear) of the lamp. In a world where projectors are becoming commonplace, and where even reflectors are sized similar to projectors (as in the new Colorado), OEMs could make a front stylized lamp housing into which an industry-standard projector could mount. Similar to wheels being of a standard size and bead profile to accept industry-standard tires. If a user wanted to change the projector to a more efficient one, or to one designed for an HID source from the beginning, he or she removes four screws from the back and it slides out, and a new projector slides in. It'll fit because it adheres to an industry standard size and mounting (that I know doesn't exist, but I'm in fairy-tale land, here). Want HIDs? Great. Want LEDs? Great. Want something else? Great. It's all interchangeable, and the optics source itself is the regulated part (just like with sealed beams). This way, automakers are free to stylize the heck out of the front of it -- as long as there's a certain required viewshed from the perspective of the optic (for light angles, etc).

Replacement housings (that get sun-baked and sand-blasted over time) would be far cheaper, as it's just a plastic housing -- a trim piece, if you will.

The concept is really no different from sealed beams, other than they fit into a hole behind a clear plastic window rather than into a hole in the grille opening. The regulatory challenge would be to ensure that there are no features on the front of the plastic housing that would bend the light from behind in a way that would make them non-compliant. The practical challenge is there's no motivation for the industry to do this.

I did say it was a pipe dream, right?

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
I'm especially surprised, regarding the report, of the poor objective performance of the F-150's LED system. ..

I would not be surprised if a 50W HID kit becomes available to use with the LED headlights.
smirk.gif

Or even an "upgraded" stupid bright LED, seeing as how it is a serviceable part on the F150.

I think another point that objective testing like this highlights, that is often lost on many people, is that the appearance of good lighting doesn't necessarily mean good lighting. I think headlamp systems sometimes intentionally favor short-distance lighting, because it's pleasing and comforting to the eye, and it builds driver confidence. Foreground lighting, though, often means that distance vision is compromised. But to what degree? It's never possible for any of us to know without objective equipment and a lot of side-by-side comparisons.

I'm glad for testing like this. I wish lighting systems were regarded more as safety features rather than, as others have pointed out, styling accents or upselling tools. Just as how many other safety systems are available on lower-trimmed Ridgelines, Honda should make their apparently excellent LED projector system available to other trim levels. Headlamps are much more than a styling statement -- they're part of a regulated safety system.

I'm glad for testing like this. I wish lighting systems were regarded more as safety features rather than, as others have pointed out, styling accents or upselling tools. Just as how many other safety systems are available on lower-trimmed Ridgelines, Honda should make their apparently excellent LED projector system available to other trim levels. Headlamps are much more than a styling statement -- they're part of a regulated safety system.

Ha! You Honda guys. Fair to good becomes excellent. That explains why you all think they are so good.
wink.gif

Trim level is not a predictor of the performance either. Looking at the data for RAM trucks, the halogen reflector system of the lower trim lines outperforms the projectors on the higher trim lines.

Ed

Originally Posted By: edhackett
Ha! You Honda guys. Fair to good becomes excellent. That explains why you all think they are so good.
wink.gif

Good catch! I wasn't intending to inflate the performance of them, but was speaking in relative terms to other systems, including Honda's own halogen projectors (which rated Poor).

I do think their classification category titles, where "Good" is the highest possible achievement, is a little pessimistic. But that's my personal opinion. Sort of as with CR, these subjective titles necessarily mean it's a sliding scale. If something comes along that FAR outperforms anything else, the highest it can achieve is still just "Good". Does that mean what used to be "Good" is no longer good?

I think another point that objective testing like this highlights, that is often lost on many people, is that the appearance of good lighting doesn't necessarily mean good lighting.

This hits the nail on the head. I've seen collision analysis studies done over the years that do show that halogen sealed beams, for instance, could provide very good performance over long distances with what you actually need to see on the road. If one is expecting the ditch to be well lit with a bunch of glare, of course, that's not the case.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Cars with projector beams seem to outperform cars with reflectortype assemblies.

I have those in my Tahoe. They are AWESOME!!

Originally Posted By: FORD4LIFE

Cars with projector beams seem to outperform cars with reflectortype assemblies.

Yup. Projectors are way better.

sometimes.. my subaru reflectors with stock bulbs outperformed the halogen projectors on the hyundai touring I had previously.

This whole thing must be why it seems every 3rd car has their high beams on.

I with autoleveling was required with HID's.

Soo many bad suv's that blind the carp out of ya.

Originally Posted By: Rand
sometimes.. my subaru reflectors with stock bulbs outperformed the halogen projectors on the hyundai touring I had previously.

This whole thing must be why it seems every 3rd car has their high beams on.

I with autoleveling was required with HID's.

Soo many bad suv's that blind the carp out of ya.

Yeah, the current crop of GM trucks seems to really have some issue with blinding oncoming vehicles from what I've experienced.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
...Yeah, the current crop of GM trucks seems to really have some issue with blinding oncoming vehicles from what I've experienced.

Apparently, at least one GM owner is pleased and proud about blinding other drivers:

"...My led package silverado is so bright people have pulled over beeping on the side of a dark highway multiple times. I get flashed often. With the led fogs on its like daytime in front of the truck. The interior lighting is all led that isn't as good as I would have liked. ………..One of the most impressive things on the chevy to me is the led package look at night. Its menacing And very bright. Tail light look cool too…"

from: http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2016/10/pickup-truck-headlights-could-leave-you-in-the-dark.html

Or maybe he is just ignorant, and has not heard that headlights need to be aimed correctly?

Unfortunately, most folks seem to interpret ridiculously bright right in front of the vehicle as "awesome" - most aftermarket solutions just exacerbate the problem (if the reflector is poorly aimed or poorly designed, shoving a brighter source - particularly one that the fixture wasn't designed for) just makes it worse. The big light bars are a problem, too - folks like to mount them on the bumper, then aim them upwards - it can be painful driving by one of them!

Sometimes. Note that IIHS found the Ram's reflectors to be more productive than the projector setup in higher trims.

Sometimes. Note that IIHS found the Ram's reflectors to be more productive than the projector setup in higher trims.

Haven't driven the RAM with projectors. My boss has one (traded in his F-150 Platinum earlier this year on it) but I've not driven it, nor been in it at night to comment. I do know the projectors on the Durango are extremely good (Halogen) but fall short of the performance of the HID projectors in my Charger. Which are orders of magnitude better than the reflectors in the lower trim Chargers.

Originally Posted By: DrD
Unfortunately, most folks seem to interpret ridiculously bright right in front of the vehicle as "awesome" - most aftermarket solutions just exacerbate the problem (if the reflector is poorly aimed or poorly designed, shoving a brighter source - particularly one that the fixture wasn't designed for) just makes it worse. The big light bars are a problem, too - folks like to mount them on the bumper, then aim them upwards - it can be painful driving by one of them!

I loath people who drive JEEP's and put those LED aftermarket lights. That is most ridiculous thing I have seen. Luckily my X5 has strong high beams so they know what I think of their light.

Haven't driven the RAM with projectors. My boss has one (traded in his F-150 Platinum earlier this year on it) but I've not driven it, nor been in it at night to comment. I do know the projectors on the Durango are extremely good (Halogen) but fall short of the performance of the HID projectors in my Charger. Which are orders of magnitude better than the reflectors in the lower trim Chargers.

I have no idea if the Ram uses the same halogen (9012/HIR2) projectors as the 300 does, but you may recall my dissatisfaction with the HIR2 projectors in the rental 300 I once had: link . The beam pattern seemed poor overall, and the high beams were mostly useless -- you didn't get any more light on the road...the shield just moved out of the way so you got more light above the horizon, which isn't particularly helpful if the lamps are aimed correctly (as they seemed to be on that particular car). I generally dislike dual-mode projectors because of that issue.

If the Ram is using the same projector that the 300 used, or a very similar style, I could see a good reflector design outperforming it.

I keep my passenger side headlights aimed a bit towards the right shoulder so I can watch that (hold lane position) when some of these aftermarket idiots are blinding me ...

IIHS tests midsize SUVs:

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/news/desktopnew...arginal-or-poor

Quote:
...The 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe and the 2017 Volvo XC60 are the only models available with good-rated headlights among the 19 midsize SUVs and 18 midsize luxury SUVs evaluated in this new round of tests. Twelve SUVs are available with headlights rated acceptable, while 23 aren't available with anything other than marginal- or poor-rated headlights...

...One of the worst midsize SUVs for visibility is the Kia Sorento. The Sorento's curve-adaptive HID projector low beams fail to provide adequate visibility on the straightaway, left curves and the gradual right curve...

...The Ford Edge is another poor performer. The Edge's base halogen projector and optional HID projector low beams provide inadequate visibility in all test scenarios, including the straightaway, on sharp curves and on gradual curves. The high beams on both versions have inadequate visibility, too. Both types of the Edge's low beams also produce unacceptable glare...

...More than half of the 79 headlight variants evaluated have too much glare. In 17 of those cases, the headlights would be rated poor based on glare alone. Complaints about glare from oncoming headlights are common, research by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration indicates...

...Cars with projector beams seem to outperform cars with reflectortype assemblies...

From IIHS:
Quote:
All the good- and acceptable-rated headlight variants in this group of midsize SUVs have projector lenses, and the three good-rated headlight variants are HID. That said, having HIDs and/or projector lenses doesn't guarantee good or acceptable performance in IIHS evaluations.

The oem HID projectors on our 2009 volvo (designed during ford's ownership) are not impressive. They choke off a lot of light and have a hard cutoff preventing view of signage. It's no better than a retrofit. Conversely, the standard halogen reflector volvos of the same body style put gobs of warm light blanketing the road, well down range also also wide. They run a higher-lumen bulb from factory than the standard 50W. Earlier s60s even had glass headlamp bodies. Given the choice in that car, I'll take the halogen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back