Second UOA (Flush) 2016 Audi S4 3.0 Supercharged

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought this car brand new. At 3,500 miles, I left the original oil filter in place but dumped out the factory oil for Mobil 1 0w-40. I ran the Mobile 1 0w-40 for roughly 1,500 miles (5,000 on the odometer).

At 5,000 miles, the oil and filter were changed using a factory filter and again Mobil 1 0w-40 for about 2,500 miles. I just recently changed the oil again using a factory oil filter but decided to try out Motul 8100 X-Cess 5w40. Engine seems to be happier with the Motul oil and it's much quieter upon startup.

I see about 75% city and 25% highway and I dive fairly spirited. At the 1,000 mile mark on the odometer, I drove the car (hard) and how I normally would treat it, obviously always after I let it reach normal operating temps. Will do another UOA when I have 5,000 miles on this oil.

Originally Posted By: CT8
The engine is direct injected and turboed?

Direct injection, supercharged and intercooled. Only thing I've done to it is replace the factory intake tube with a silicone unit. Factory tune.

CHRIS--thanks much for posting this one up, now I will have something current to compare it to. Last month, I purchased a 2017 Q5 with this engine (although tuned to just 272 hp, instead of your 333 hp). We've only put 700 miles on it so far, and it would be far less than that, if I didn't try and hasten the break-in process by taking it out on weekends. I've been keeping it below 3K rpm so far & this weekend I plan to venture up to 4K-4500K rpm--repeatedly. From what you described, I like your break-in process--especially with no need to add oil so far. I plan to change mine at 1500 miles (only because she drives 6 miles each day to work, which is a killer) then at 5K and most likely every 5 K miles thereafter. I picked up some Pentosin 5-30 & 5-40 at AZ at the $4/quart sale price and plan to use the 5-30 this winter---your thoughts?
Steve

Originally Posted By: steve20
CHRIS--thanks much for posting this one up, now I will have something current to compare it to. Last month, I purchased a 2017 Q5 with this engine (although tuned to just 272 hp, instead of your 333 hp). We've only put 700 miles on it so far, and it would be far less than that, if I didn't try and hasten the break-in process by taking it out on weekends. I've been keeping it below 3K rpm so far & this weekend I plan to venture up to 4K-4500K rpm--repeatedly. From what you described, I like your break-in process--especially with no need to add oil so far. I plan to change mine at 1500 miles (only because she drives 6 miles each day to work, which is a killer) then at 5K and most likely every 5 K miles thereafter. I picked up some Pentosin 5-30 & 5-40 at AZ at the $4/quart sale price and plan to use the 5-30 this winter---your thoughts?
Steve

Steve, I'm by no means an expert with engine oil and break in procedures, but I've always heard and read that you should break in your engine like how you typically would drive it. My only disclaimer is to use your best judgement. I did read "MotoMan's" article on engine break in as soon as I bought the car: http://mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

I too drive very short work commutes, its usually around 4 miles. I don't know much about Pentosin oil, but I would be curious to see how it performs. I too will be changing the oil every 5,000 miles regardless what the computer and the dealership recommends.

good to hear Chris-- I do the Motorman-LITE method- I just constantly vary rpm and throttle input currently up to 3K sometimes using sport mode, sometimes manual---always with an eye on the tach. I'll send you my UOA after I change it at Christmas
Thanks again for posting
Steve

Originally Posted By: CrazyJeeper
Steve

Steve, I'm by no means an expert with engine oil and break in procedures, but I've always heard and read that you should break in your engine like how you typically would drive it. My only disclaimer is to use your best judgement. I did read "MotoMan's" article on engine break in as soon as I bought the car: http://mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

I too drive very short work commutes, its usually around 4 miles. I don't know much about Pentosin oil, but I would be curious to see how it performs. I too will be changing the oil every 5,000 miles regardless what the computer and the dealership recommends.

That that was good read from moto, thanks! I definitely took it easy on my first 600 miles so idk lol

Last edited:
CJ & Steve, I'm sure the 3rd or 4th owners will appreciate your early efforts. lol

Thanks GB I think you are correct

BTW the 3.0 SC is as smooth as butter-if not watching the tach it'll easily outrun ya

Steve

Did you get the manual? I like the DCT with launch control.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back