Fram Ultra Rubber Gasket Failure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: jongies3
Think we've all made this mistake at least once in our lifetimes.

I have. I installed a filter where the old gasket had gotten stuck on the oil filter tree. I went to start my car and the newly installed filter shot off like a bullet haha!!

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Misleading title. Could have been "Normal to have filter gasket loose?"

That's why the big pile on. The filter got the blame. I generally don't use Fram, but did feel the need to defend the filter on this one. I find if you don't oil the gasket on installing, there is a chance the gasket sticks to the base no matter what brand you use.

I hated Fram for about ten years because of this. There was a Fram on my sportbike. I performed an oil change (filter swap...no cleaning the mating surface). Well, I fired 'er up and all was well.....then I revved it and oil gushed out. It could have been ugly.

If people can't do a filter change properly, then let someone else who knows how do it.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Originally Posted By: Chris Meutsch
Originally Posted By: dave123
Rookie mistake no matter the filter used always check you have old gasket usually only happens once in your life you'll check every time now oil change 101.

On my co-worker's latest change (Fram TG 7313) I was aghast when the gasket stayed on the block. I've been doing oil for 28 years now and that was the first time. But I always have and will check, every time.

Happened to me years ago with a purolator. double gasket barf of oil all over the driveway. Rookie mistake was I cleaned, but didn't lube the new gasket with oil. Thats how it happens. Gotta lube the gasket or it sticks when it gets hot.

Yep. You only have to make that mistake once and you'll never forget to check for double gasket. Happened on my 5.0 Mustang.

Originally Posted By: ttvr4
I certainly made a mistake of not checking the oil filter mount on the vehicle. However, is it normal for a brand new rubber gasket on the oil filter to be "loose" and detach from the filter? I've used plenty of WIX filters and the rubber gasket never comes off the filter.

-ttvr4

Yes, completely normal. I can't speak for other filter co.'s but this is how Fram does it.

I believe this gasket stuck at to engine happens like mentioned by new diy peeps when they don't oil the gasket before installing new filter so later when they change it the gasket gets stuck and they don't notice it. I've never had any brand gasket stick to engine, I use only fram xg's in last few years due to their efficiency.

If people would wipe off and clean the filter mounting surface, then they would catch the old gasket stuck to the block.

Always look, always clean, always oil the new one, problem solved. I'm not an auto service professional, but in 35+ years of working on my own vehicles (& relatives), I don't think I've ever had it happen to me. Just lucky, I guess.

How dare you suggest the golden God of oil filters could ever have the slightest issue! You blasphymous heathen!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back