Battery Charger Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
To keep my lawn tractor battery charged over the winter I use a .75A float charger. I put the battery on the garage floor (no, it won't "discharge" the battery) and leave the float charger connected. It only applies current when the battery needs it, and it won't overcharge it.
For a car battery, I have a B&D 6amp charger. It also has an electronic monitor to manage the charging to prevent overcharge.

When I had an ATV I wasnt riding, I would leave a 2amp charge on it for 6-8 hours (overnight basically) every month or two (6 weeks ideally). It was a small Yuasa and always did fine until one day it started to rain on me and had me scurrying to get everything in order.

This was on an old 6/2 Craftsman (before they branded them DieHard). The Schumacher looks like a good one and was Hecho in Mexico last I looked. 6/2 was all I ever needed. A 6amp charge can get pretty 'hot' and be pretty dangerous even by making a slight mistake, So these 12amp and up ratings scare me.. And we are not in Cold War Germany where a 6volt output is even remotely needed. (I say that because when I was in car audio and old Mercedes-Benz came in the install bay and the installer said he would have to hard wire it since it was 6volt.

Last edited:
Mine (the charger, not the motorcycle jump-charger) has constant current and constant voltage phases, and gases quite a lot towards the end, before it goes to float voltage. I'd guess this is a deliberate "balancing" over-charge.

Its got three initial charging levels, with scooter, motorcycle and car idiot logos/lights.

What I usually do is run it to float three times, first at car, then motorcycle, and finally moped levels. Never been sure this was optimal but the above discussion seems to suggest it might be.

I have a samlex
https://www.amazon.com/Samlex-SEC-1215UL-SEC-UL-Battery-Charger/dp/B00BMU7YPG/

Only thing is, you must add your own wires and clamps.
You can charge 3 batteries in parallel and they are isolated from each other.

If you connect reverse polarity, a fuse will blow.
Replaced it and it will work again.

It's the best automatic charger currently for me, after going through xtreme, ctek, century, which all bites the dust.

Originally Posted By: Trav
I tried a Noco Genius but it didn't work well, the electricity here fluctuates like a fiddlers elbow and it reset constantly

Plug in some sort of UPS/AVR between the wall outlet and the charger? Granted, that's an extra cost/hassle, but I'm wondering if something like the Pro Logix is going to behave similarly to the Genius under such AC voltage fluctuations.

No idea but i will find out soon enough. I am getting the Pro Logix this afternoon, my local NAPA gave me a discount on top of the $100 sale price.

My 3 chargers:

Snap-On 550 Charge/Boost/Start
CTEK MUS 4.3
Duraboost Maintainer 1000

Newest is the CTEK, works fine and has a few modes (desulph, cold compensation or AGM, fully automated). Takes a while to charge larger batteries (auto/truck/boat). The Duraboost I got from CycleGear is mainly to maintain batteries (it can charge powersports-sized batteries but it also takes a while). The Snap-On I got from my dad (transformer lead busted) and it great for a quick charge of larger batteries or jump starting.

So I'd say the CTEK MUS 4.3 would work for you.

I have the pro-logix 20amp its automatic and fine for the application.

The SOC % is voltage based.

it can read 50% but if you stop charging and put it back on it will jump up.

For example I had a tractor at 40% I put it in charge for about 15min it was at 50% I had to switch generators so I unplugged and plugged it in.. it said 85%

As long as you dont interupt the charger its fairly accurate. I paid around $64 for mine. it is the non-boost version that is 77$ on amazon currently.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007ESQW08/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The SOC indicator doesnt really affect its effectiveness in charging. So even if you "fool the charger" it will still charge properly.

I got the PL2520 with boost for $80 out the door. Going to unbox and try it on a small battery it later tonight.

Looks like I missed the better part of the discussion but you obviously made a great decision. These chargers are awesome although I consider the boost a novelty since I would never try to start a battery that low I'd just let it charge as long as I could on the 20 amp setting.

They are great maintainers as well as being able to charge well. They have the built in mode for putting a load on the battery every few days and re starting the charge mode.

Also you probably won't find it in the manual but I believe if you ever need to charge a really low battery you can force start the charge after selecting all the proper settings by holding the charge button for 5 seconds

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Looks like I missed the better part of the discussion but you obviously made a great decision. These chargers are awesome although I consider the boost a novelty since I would never try to start a battery that low I'd just let it charge as long as I could on the 20 amp setting.

They are great maintainers as well as being able to charge well. They have the built in mode for putting a load on the battery every few days and re starting the charge mode.

Also you probably won't find it in the manual but I believe if you ever need to charge a really low battery you can force start the charge after selecting all the proper settings by holding the charge button for 5 seconds

Good additional info. Thank you.

I bought a Ctek just months before I heard of these pro logix chargers. Their spec is impressive for the price.

Will probably go with the 20a version should I need to replace my Ctek.

Bought a Ctek from amazon, didn't work out of the box. Sent it back for refund and instead got a Noco. So far one year later working great.

I've got three chargers/maintainers now:

- BatteryMinder 2012
- Noco Genius G7200
- ProLogix 2320

Other than the difference in max charging rate, they all seem to be working fine for me. I really have no way of telling if one charges better than the others. I think the BatteryMinder has the most advanced temp compensation. And I'm still not sure if the desulfation feature actually does anything beneficial on any of these chargers.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis

Thanks for pointing that out. It is mentioned in the manual, but I didn't even know about it.

Quote:
Note: The charger is designed to protect against faults and shorts (see Battery Charger Features). If the battery to be charged has a open circuit voltage of less than 1V, the charger will indicate a fault. If, after unplugging unit, checking connections and verifying all settings, you determine the problem causing the “fault” condition is battery voltage below 1V, you can override the charger’s protection by holding down the “CHARGE” button for 3 seconds. The charger will commence the charging sequence and, assuming these are no other hindrances that caused the fault indication, will complete the charging process and automatically turn off when the battery has reached full charge.

Yeah you really shouldn't be charging a battery below 1 volt anyway, I have tried twice once with an optima red top which did end up partially recharging except for one of cell which would over heat from being shorted and a Kinetik agm which did end up charging but the capacity is completely gone even though the voltage is there.

It seems to work great, the only criticism I have and its a minor one is the lack of carrying handle, even a rope with a couple of knots would have been better than nothing, you sort of have to schlep this thing around like a 10lb notebook.
Other than that it appears to be well built, the cables and clamps are heavy duty for such a small unit (probably because of the boost feature), its quiet and easy to use. Time will tell how durable it is but overall I'm satisfied with it.

the cables and clamps are heavy duty for such a small unit (probably because of the boost feature),

Glad you like it.

BTW, the clamps on my non-boosted ProLogix are the same. I guess they are just trying to standardize parts across the whole product range. The cables are less beefy though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back