Oill least likely to damage catalytic converters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dx92beater
I wish I didn't entitle the thread oil lol....but maybe the extra "l" is synonymous with all of the "oilllll" I am burning.

Haha I didn't even notice :p

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I wish I didn't entitle the thread oil lol....but maybe the extra "l" is synonymous with all of the "oilllll" I am burning.

Haha I didn't even notice :p

Haha, it almost guarantees the thread will have a happy ending!
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Would be nice to know which one, because a high mileage oil won't help much to help if its rings. Have someone start your car in the morning cold and watch the tailpipe. Check for a puff of blue smoke. If you see that, its likely the rubber valve seals which can benefit from a high mileage oil. Worst case if you throw a P0420 theres always the $6 spark plug non fouler exhaust mod.

I usually go with that theory (the puff....well plume) of smoke only on startup that goes away), but I figure it is rings since the valve seals really aren't that exposed to oil due to gravity. So HM doesn't do much for rings eh?

Good to know.

High mileage oils advertise "more cleaning". Wouldn't this help clean the rings if that's what is causing oil burn?

While anything is possible over time, for me, the only noticeable remedy for stuck rings was a piston soak with my favorite solvent brew. And its a great time to replace the intake manifold gasket
smile.gif
But the swelling agents/conditioners in HM oil work awesome on the rubber valve seals after a few OCI's.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
Of all oils available here Mobil1 5W30 ESP has least amount of SAPS. Sometimes NAPA has that oil on sale for $5.99

I was also going to mention this one, 0.6% SAPS.
I just learned that the 5W30 synth that Motul makes for Subaru in Europe is 0.5% SAPS, but good luck finding that one in the US.

Would be nice to know which one, because a high mileage oil won't help much to help if its rings. Have someone start your car in the morning cold and watch the tailpipe. Check for a puff of blue smoke. If you see that, its likely the rubber valve seals which can benefit from a high mileage oil. Worst case if you throw a P0420 theres always the $6 spark plug non fouler exhaust mod.

I usually go with that theory (the puff....well plume) of smoke only on startup that goes away), but I figure it is rings since the valve seals really aren't that exposed to oil due to gravity. So HM doesn't do much for rings eh?

Good to know.

High mileage oils advertise "more cleaning". Wouldn't this help clean the rings if that's what is causing oil burn?

While anything is possible over time, for me, the only noticeable remedy for stuck rings was a piston soak with my favorite solvent brew. And its a great time to replace the intake manifold gasket
smile.gif
But the swelling agents/conditioners in HM oil work awesome on the rubber valve seals after a few OCI's.

I wish that I was able to do that on a boxer motor. No more boxer engines for me. Thanks for all of the info.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Of all oils available here Mobil1 5W30 ESP has least amount of SAPS. Sometimes NAPA has that oil on sale for $5.99

I just learned that the 5W30 synth that Motul makes for Subaru in Europe is 0.5% SAPS, but good luck finding that one in the US.

Thanks.

ACEA C4 oil. We should start getting those soon.

Low Phos oils are what you need. SAPS is a measure of all metals which include detergents, the Ash here is an issue for DPF. Don't be misled by thinking high Ash are all bad for catalytic convertors

There are High Milage oils out there with alternative AW that allows 600ppm of Phos. Also the type of ZDDP also impacts the phosphorus going down the exhaust, this is why low volality ZDDP were developed to enable oils to pass the Seq IIIGB.

http://www.swri.org/3pubs/brochure/ae/pdf/SequenceIIIGB.pdf

Limit is 79% (ie you want the phosphorus to stay in the oil )

Sulphur is also a potential issue for poisoning the cat, however the fuel is a bigger factor here.

What is this the $6 spark plug non fouler exhaust mod you speak of?

Originally Posted By: jonnied1

I would assume an EGR delete...

Originally Posted By: jonnied1

I would assume an EGR delete...

I like to call it exhaust modification.
grin.gif
Dorman HELP! 42009 should fit on this one, check youtube. Worked on my old Camry. Never replaced the cat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back