Which filter best for 3+ years oil change ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im doing 3+ years oil change or mabe longer on my 85 mustang. I rarely drive it at all. Last oil change was in 2014 with motorcraft FL1A 10w40 ( forgot which oil its ) , I check the miles, was 113 miles total since then. the oil still look clean, when ever I take it out for drive, I drive it atleast 30min.

My next oil change, I was thinking going longer. I was thinking Fram Ultra, since it had a wire to hold the filter media together, mabe it will do better job. There no other filter I have in mind that can mabe do this type of OCI. The ultra had the wire hold the media that got my attention.

Hope you are an oil lab fan as extending an OCI beyond the max OEM recommended interval can be risky without a good UOA or three.

The limiting factor with oil filters seems to be leaks from the oil seal or even corrosion of the can if it's a K&N.
I only use OEM, Mann or Bosch (Made in Germany only) in the EU, or Mobil in the USA.
Oil filter quality is as important as oil quality in many ways and you do get what you pay for.

The Wix XP, Royal Purple is a great choice as well. And supposedly the Microgreen ones last the longest.

I'd go with Fram Ultra or just swap out with a cheaper filter once a year.. not sure I would run the ultra over 2 years though..

Napa Gold and don't worry. Have had them on tractors for that long and they were fine. I had one of a seldom used truck for 5 years
laugh.gif

Microgreens do not last the longest. You leave the oil in for 30K and change the filters every 10K that's if you go by their advertising. I see this often- it's a 10K mile filter. Just to let you know.

Originally Posted By: PD001
The Wix XP, Royal Purple is a great choice as well. And supposedly the Microgreen ones last the longest.

I'm sure your MC FL1A will be fine. I have 5 years on my AC Delco 1218 Pro and I just did an oil change w/o swapping it. I'm confident it will go another 5 years on a 99% garaged 92 Suburban.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
I'd go with Fram Ultra or just swap out with a cheaper filter once a year.. not sure I would run the ultra over 2 years though..

I agree. To play it safe I wouldn't keep the Ultra on for more than two years. I am running a two-year OCI with my Silverado (5.3).

Last edited:
Stick with what you are using. A fram Ultra would be a big waste of money for your situation.

Originally Posted By: Lubener
Stick with what you are using. A fram Ultra would be a big waste of money for your situation.

Moneys was never an issue.

Just want an filter, leave it and forget about it, but still hold up well. Like other guy 99% garage.

Originally Posted By: MetalSlug
Originally Posted By: Lubener

Moneys was never an issue.

Just want an filter, leave it and forget about it, but still hold up well. Like other guy 99% garage.

A filter is not going to fall apart inside just because it is sitting. I use a lower end filter, change the oil and filter every 2-3 years which is around 2500 miles. I have done the UOA several times and each time I was told the oil could go longer. Even cut open some of the filters and not one had an issue. Short answer= any filter will hold up.

Last edited:
I'm in the same boat. 1991 Honda CRX Si. Rarely driven. I only use synthetic oil, and change it every two years, but it probably doesn't even see 200 miles. This fall, I changed the oil with Mobil 1 5W30 and installed a Fram Ultra. I may go longer than two years this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back