Vegemite

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Salty is an understatement and I actually love salty stuff. It was so salty it was inedible.

Sounds like you may have tried having too much of it, at least for starters.

Nope tried it sparingly because I knew about it's reputation. If I had tried a huge spoonful I probably would have puked.
37.gif

I would rather lick the south bound end of a north bound skunk then every eat that stuff again!
37.gif

Originally Posted By: pandus13
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Salty is an understatement and I actually love salty stuff. It was so salty it was inedible.

Sounds like you may have tried having too much of it, at least for starters.

taste is a personal matter.
you like a good pickled cabbage/kimchi.
NHHEMI maybe not.

Love me some kimchi and other types of pickled veg!!!!

Vegemite is just too salty( and I can put a hurt on a bag of salt and vinegar chips with ease so I am not against salty things )plus it tastes awful as well to boot. For me that is. If other's like it then go for it.

I would equate it to how some people, like me, LOVE really sharp stinky cheese and other people can't stand it. The stinker and sharper the better for me. My Mom wouldn't touch the really nasty cheddar cheeses my Dad and I liked and we wouldn't touch her rubbery bland cheese( usually Monterey Jack ).

Different strokes for different folks as they say. As long as they don't try to force me to eat more Vegemite I will defend the rights of those who want to eat it wholeheartedly.
34.gif

Different strokes for different folks as they say.

For sure. I guess we all have somewhat different taste buds. I did not find vegemite overly salty. I spread it on unsalted butter though. I grew up eating unsalted butter and can't stand the salted one for some reason.
smile.gif

If anyone is tempted to buy and try the vastly superior Marmite, spread it much thinner than Vegemite.

In fact, I wouldn't even call it spreading. A skimming / scraping technique is required.

A picture tells a thousand words so this is what you want to end up with (not my picture).

Btw, get the right amount on a nicely buttered thick airy crusty French baton and it's even better.

058.JPG

Originally Posted By: CharlieBauer
If anyone is tempted to buy and try the vastly superior Marmite, spread it much thinner than Vegemite.

This is a thread about Vegemite - don't contaminate it with posts about marmite, Vegemite eaters won't contaminate their palet with this stuff.

Originally Posted By: Silk
Vegemite eaters won't contaminate their palet with this stuff.

Their ancestors were smarter!

Originally Posted By: SR5
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
What does it taste like?

Salty, bitter, yeasty, astringent.

Think black olive paste, but with less olive flavour and more yeasty or hoppy flavour. It's made from the scrapings of beer vats.

It is not sweet like jam. It is not oily like peanut butter. It is a non-fatty savory spread.
I'll stick with the beer and leave the scrapings for cattle feed.

Buying bread from a man in Brussels
He was six-foot-four and full of muscles
I said, "Do you speak-a my language?"
He just smiled and gave me a Vegemite sandwich
And he said

I come from a land down under
Where beer does flow and men chunder

This is a thread about Vegemite - don't contaminate it with posts about marmite, Vegemite eaters won't contaminate their palet with this stuff.

What about Promite?

Originally Posted By: chainblu

What about Promite?

Also Yuck !!!

It's been almost 2 months, any feedback from our new Vegemite friends ?

It can take little time to settle into Vegemite. Worth the journey.

Originally Posted By: CharlieBauer

My mother, an Anglophile through-and-through, always said Marmite was better than Vegemite.

One of the large grocery stores in Whangarei sold Megamite - I think it was a house-brand copy of Vegemite.

Originally Posted By: Number_35
My mother, an Anglophile through-and-through, always said Marmite was better than Vegemite.

It's a coming-of-age we all must go through, when we realize that our mother isn't always right.

I remember being told to stay away from whisky, floozies, fast cars and motorcycles. I like to think that my mother understood the rebellious nature of her son and so was using reverse psychology to encourage exactly that. Thanks Mum.

White toast, with butter and a thin touch of Vegemite is an excellent way to start the day. Plus a great afternoon snack.

Eating wholemeal toast with butter, Vegemite and a slice of cheese on top, right now.
It's hitting the spot nicely.

Originally Posted By: SR5
Eating wholemeal toast with butter, Vegemite and a slice of cheese on top, right now.
It's hitting the spot nicely.

beside being scraped on plain toast, what other ways are to use it? or you personally use it?

...and an upside-down Happy New Year to you, mate!

Happy New Year to you too !

Apart from toast and crackers, you can mix it into soups and stews as a flavour enhancer. There is a link back in this tread somewhere where a American chef talks about doing just that. Rissoles and meatloaf would be another good application, just a spoonful into the mix.

The flavour is strong in salt and umami, so a great savoury enhancer. I think it would add a lot to many vegetarian dishes. and still keep then vege friendly.

Read this thread with obvious interest. Vegemite on toast ( thinly spread) is a religion in Australia. It was developed in Aus, is still made in Aus but one fact I was looking for but never saw mentioned was that it is American owned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back