Maxlife Dex/Merc LV - Replacement for Mercon V??

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2001 Ford Expedition has a 4R100 transmission in it with 120k miles and its time to change the fluid. Ford says to use Mercon V fluid. I was going to use Maxlife Dex/Merc which is compatible with Mercon V but I can't seem to find any of the regular Maxlife Dex/Merc. All I can find is the Maxlife Dex/Merc LV.

Valvoline says the Maxlife Dex/Merc LV is backwards compatible with Mercon and Mercon V.
http://content.valvoline.com/pdf/maxlife_atf.pdf

Should I just go with the LV stuff? Maxlife is cheap and good....so I'd prefer to stick with it. Am I overthinking this?

The maxlife should work fine. I have used in in older and newer Fords than your with no problems.

Use the Maxlife with confidence. I have it in my 2002 F150, it is in my brother in laws F150, and tens of thousands (or more) of other Ford transmissions requiring Merc V.

I had the same question a while back since the removal of the Merc V wording on the bottle, but the pdf and even valvoline reps themselves (I have an e-mail conversation with them a while back about it) says it is good.

If you really are stuck on Merc V fluid, you can use SuperTech from Walmart, it is like $4.25/qt and will work just fine as well.

Just to confirm....I'm talking about Maxlive LV....not just regular Maxlife. Still okie dokie???

In Mass you should have plenty of choices for Mercon V fluid. Walmart sells their Super Tech Mercon V at $4.23/qt. West Springfield Auto Parts which might be in your area sell Amalie Mercon V. I bought some of that from them in May when I changed the ATF in my 2002 Lincoln.

Valvoline Max Life PQIA

I don't see on the Max Life Dex/Merc where it says compatible for Mercon V. Mercon and Mercon V to my knowledge are both around an operating viscosity of 7.0-7.5. The Max Life is 6.0....or a Dex 6. Personally, I'd use the SuperTech, Amalie or other than is specifically for Mercon V use. While I know many around here use the Max Life for any automatic transmission, I feel more comfortable with the Mercon V label. I think Castrol has a certified Mercon V as well. Super Tech carries the Ford Mercon V cert. From what I've read the Max Life might is fairly shear proof and will hold the 5.5-6.0 viscosity range very well. Can't say how long SuperTech and others stay above the 6.0 range. The additive package in Max Life is quite stout. I wish it had a viscosity of 6.8-7.5 so I could use it in my manual transmission too.

Thanks for the responses. I'm either going to go with Castrol Transmax Mercon V or the Supertech Mercon V. No need to reinvent the wheel. They are both available locally.

Originally Posted By: AdmiralYoda
My 2001 Ford Expedition has a 4R100 transmission in it with 120k miles and its time to change the fluid. Ford says to use Mercon V fluid. I was going to use Maxlife Dex/Merc which is compatible with Mercon V but I can't seem to find any of the regular Maxlife Dex/Merc. All I can find is the Maxlife Dex/Merc LV.

Valvoline says the Maxlife Dex/Merc LV is backwards compatible with Mercon and Mercon V.
http://content.valvoline.com/pdf/maxlife_atf.pdf

Should I just go with the LV stuff? Maxlife is cheap and good....so I'd prefer to stick with it. Am I overthinking this?

Difference is mostly viscometrics at operating temperature. The MERCON and MERCON V have viscosity greater than 6.8 cSt and the LV has viscosity less than 6.2 cSt. About the same as going from an SAE 12 to an SAE 16. If you transmission is not sensitive you should not notice any changes.

Mercon V and Mercon LV are NOT cross compatible... but like others have brought up, I've never heard a single negative review from users of MaxLife in either application (which I find curious).

I have a jug of Maxlife on the shelf which will go in the Mustang's T45 when I do the clutch but I just couldn't bring myself to use it in my wifes '14 Explorer.

Originally Posted By: buck91
Mercon V and Mercon LV are NOT cross compatible... but like others have brought up, I've never heard a single negative review from users of MaxLife in either application (which I find curious).

I have a jug of Maxlife on the shelf which will go in the Mustang's T45 when I do the clutch but I just couldn't bring myself to use it in my wifes '14 Explorer.

Keep us informed of that Maxlife in your T45. Is that LV ATF (6.0 visc at 100c deg) actually recommended by Tremec/Ford? Is your vehicle a pre-2001 version with the cellulose blend friction rings?

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
Originally Posted By: buck91

Keep us informed of that Maxlife in your T45. Is that LV ATF (6.0 visc at 100c deg) actually recommended by Tremec/Ford? Is your vehicle a pre-2001 version with the cellulose blend friction rings?

Its a '96 and made by Borg Warner. As far as the LV aspect, Maxlife does recommend it for both applications stating that V shears down to this viscosity anyhow. Not sure when I'll do the clutch but probably at SOME point this winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back