Supertech full synthetic 5w-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have thoughts on WalMart SuperTech synthetic? I've been searching the forum and haven't found much positive or negative.

I recently had the 3.4L replaced in my 2003 Buick Rendezvous and will be doing an oil change this week or next week to get the dino out. My mechanic replaced the intake gasket and and it was a junkyard motor so I want to get first change done soon to get any debris out.

Either way it will be getting changed again when my OLM goes off or June or July 2017, whichever comes first. I'm planning on doing a UOA for my own curiosity when I change this next year. Will likely be switching to Amsoil and quality synthetic filters from there on out.

This fill will be Supertech 5w-30 synth with a Pro-Tec filter. I have a nice Purolator Synthetic on the shelf but hated to waste it on a short interval...

FYI: the "new" motor has approx 163,000 miles, and I plan on squeezing every last mile out of it...

Last edited:
Its a decent Syn oil. I have used it plenty of times.

I would drive for 1000miles on the current oil. That way if there is a issue you are not wasting the syn oil and 1000 miles is still early even for a cleanup change.

Hope the mechanic did a compression test on the motor so you can have a baseline. I too found a used engine for a replacement for a engine with 179k that had a weak hole-bad valve and was cheaper to find a motor with low miles and not worry about other engine issues(timing chain,injectors) than to pull the head and fix the valves. I did as Jimzz suggested.
Good luck

Last edited:
Use it with confidence. Any failure of the motor won't be due to the actual oil. I use this or the high mileage version in my girlfriends grand prix. I just wanted something that I felt confident with going the fully 7500 miles her OLM usually turns on at.

When the PQIA compared a bunch of synthetic 5W30 oils in 2013, Supertech looked like a solid, middle of the pack oil by their analysis.

http://www.pqiamerica.com/March2013PCMO/Marchsyntheticsallfinal.html

One thing that might be taken as a negative is a lack of moly, but it does have a good dose of boron. I believe that compounds of both can act as antiwear additives, but I will defer to the experts if they choose to chime in. Supertech looks pretty darned similar by numbers to Amsoil OE 5W30 here, although the latter does have a dose of moly. Oil compositions certainly may have changed since 2013, and I understand that Supertech is blended for WalMart by different suppliers in different parts of the country (the PQIA's sample came from NJ).
Supertech may not be the best choice for long OCIs due to a moderate TBN of 8.0, but it looks like a decent 5W30 synth and the price is usually right. You might be able to get M1 or PP at a similar price with a rebate at WalMart, though.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Matt6127
Anyone have thoughts on WalMart SuperTech synthetic?

Either way it will be getting changed again when my OLM goes off or June or July 2017, whichever comes first. I'm planning on doing a UOA for my own curiosity when I change this next year. Will likely be switching to Amsoil and quality synthetic filters from there on out.

This fill will be Supertech 5w-30 synth with a Pro-Tec filter. I have a nice Purolator Synthetic on the shelf but hated to waste it on a short interval...

Nothing wrong with SuperTech Syn, from what I have heard here, its a solid oil at a great price point. I wouldnt waste your money on Amsoil, you can use a decent filter and get M1 or PP at great prices at Walmart and are both solid oils. Use an OEM or Wix or Napa filter and keep your intervals reasonable and you will be all set (I even use a proselect- decent build quality). Fram Ultra filters have obtained good reviews for extended drains if you decide to go that route.

Last edited:
I have used it a few times and will continue to use it. I was able to buy a bunch of the 10w-30 synthetic for like $8 a gallon. I don't believe it's something that can be used as an extedned drain interval.

I am up to 6000 miles in my Jeep on this OCI and may end up shooting for 7000. I definitely qualify as extreme/severe service.

If you are running 5000/7500 mile intervals, SuperTech synthetic and their filters make a good quality, cheap oil change combination.

With a 'FRESH" JUNK YARD MOTOR ,I would run a couple of short OCI's and pull a sample for a UOA, super tech is a good oil , but I would run a couple short runs , do the lab before running a longer OCI , just so you know you have a solid engine in your ride,

Welcome to The BITOG forum

I used to like it years ago, ran it past winter with meh to yikes! results. But ... Engine was not fully run-in yet and the Nissan 2.5 sound like they are broken when they are cold.

Nissan uses SUB DOHC w/solid tappets in this engine.

The buick should be more forgiving.

I would have run this oil a little longer but it has gotten substantially colder up here in the last couple of weeks and I'd like to get the synthetic in before the snow hits! I also need to change the oil in my Subaru before it gets much colder, so I'll be doing both changes next week it looks like.

It's a solid oil at a good price. I use ST synthetic for an annual OCI (about 7k miles) in my daughter's '09 Galant. Since it's a Dexos 1 oil and the LaCrosse I bought two weeks ago has 2.5 years and 50k of powertrain warranty left, I'll probably use ST when the Buick reaches its first OCI under my care. And I'll probably use in my wife's Accord when it's out of CPO warranty.

Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3
I've used it several times in my own vehicles along with their conventional. At least in my truck the conventional looked good at 3,000 miles, good enough to go 5,000 miles. My friend has been running the ST 5w30 for a decade and 120,000 miles now in his Toyota Tacoma with equally good results. UOA links to both posted below.

5w30 Super Tech Synthetic

5w30 Super Tech Conventional

Thanks for the reply, Similar to a couple of UOA's I found, seems like TBN typically runs low and this isn't really a good extended OCI synthetic, especially with some of the good dino's out there now. But I'm mainly just running it over the winter to reduce startup wear if nothing else and will get on an annual schedule with a better synthetic next spring....

It's not an oil to run for 10,000 or 15,000 most likely due to the modest virgin TBN but for the price its a great oil for a modest OCI. Based on the UOA in my friends application there was some reserve TBN remaining at 5,400 miles, probably enough to make it to 7,500 miles I wouldn't want to take it further than that without another sample. But all that considered I think its a good oil. His wear numbers were excellent.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
I used to like it years ago, ran it past winter with meh to yikes! results. But ... Engine was not fully run-in yet and the Nissan 2.5 sound like they are broken when they are cold.

Nissan uses SUB DOHC w/solid tappets in this engine.

The buick should be more forgiving.

I had this experience with Mobil 1 in a jeep with 190,000, PP was much quieter all around... Haven't used Mobil 1 since then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back