What happens to an Oil brand when...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Lube Report
Shifting car ownership models, in particular, point to OEMs having a much larger role in the industry supply chain. Jarquin imagined that self-guided cars will eventually drive themselves to be service-filled with whatever oil the manufacturer recommends. With no consumer choice involved, the quart bottle may largely disappear. Blenders and marketers will have to find a new strategy to build relationships with consumers and influence decision-makers in order to compete effectively.

With all the discussions we have here at BITOG on which brand or type of oil is the best, what happens when by 2050 all cars are self-driving and they automatically schedule an oil change, drive themselves to the dealership and then comes home (all in the middle of the day while you are at work)? We will still be arguing about oil brands - or will OEM branded oil like TGMO reign supreme?

Lube Report

Last edited:
Maybe there will be a self-driving oil service vehicle that will find you car when it signals that it needs service and swap out the removable oil reservoir with integrated filter? Perhaps Amazon, Google, or Safety Kleen will still let us choose what oil pack we want to use...
At some point, we will become completely superfluous and the software-driven machines will realize it...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: czbrian
I doubt we will have internal combustion engines in our personal vehicles in 2050.

I doubt they will all be gone--but it does make sense. Just make it electric-only, and then use some form of non-contact recharging (hey, we're talking 30 years into the future, maybe it'll happen--or maybe your pet robot will plug in your car for you).

Actually I wonder if it'll be more likely that one just leases the car. When something is due, the leasing company comes with a flatbed and swaps cars with you. Lease or own, I guess could be the same story. Cars already something of a commodity; our other appliances are delivered to our houses, and serviced by people who come to our houses, so if a low-maintenance PEV needs something... why not have a service guy come to you?

Average Vehicle life is 11 years today which means if you are right the ICE would have to be obsolete by 2039.

There are 1.2 Billion vehicles on the road today, and a forecast of 83 Million vehicles to be sold in 2020 with annual sales continuing along those lines. Of those, Tesla has a goal to sell 500 000 units. There just isn't enough lithium in the world to power 83 Million new vehicles every year. I don't see how the ICE will be gone, maybe fundamentally changed so they are more efficient, smaller and combined with hybrid powertrains, but not completely gone.

I got news for you: in 2050, there won't be any cars with gasoline powered engines. I also think they'll be some kind of compact power generation device for your home. The electrical power grid will probably be obsolete someday.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I got news for you: in 2050, there won't be any cars with gasoline powered engines.
There are people today restoring 50 year old cars.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig

I think the gasoline powered cars will be regulated out.

In 2050 I won't be around to care.
I'm sure the world will look as different in 2050 to those of us in 2016 as the world in 2016 looks to those of us who remember 1960. The world in 1960 looked completely different than the world did in 1911 when my grandparents arrived from Italy on the Carpathia. My grandparents never would have imagined (or understood) 1960 in 1911. I never imagined 2016 in 1960, and I'm sure there are a lot of things that folks who are around in 2016 can't imagine 2050 will have.

There were people in the 1970s that said the same thing. It's rather funny the way that a group of malcontents manage to keep that nonsense alive for almost half a century.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

There were people in the 1970s that said the same thing. It's rather funny the way that a group of malcontents manage to keep that nonsense alive for almost half a century.

Except that it is actually starting to happen in a sense. Some of the major cities around the world are imposing additional taxes, restriction on days of driving days that electric vehicles are exempt from, or outright bans on older vehicles..

http://www.npr.org/sections/parallels/20...ban-on-old-cars
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/...-polluting-cars
http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/green-cars/norway-considers-ban-petrol-and-diesel-cars-2025

Heck - not long ago that was a fresh unit in Cuba.
wink.gif

When oil is outlawed only outlaws will have oil. Electric vehicle Have lots of advantages . I used to work on electric forklifts and they do break not often though down but the maintenance is minimal. Power generation for the electric vehicles will be the next crisis when the numbers of electric vehicles rise .

The enviro maniacs have been preaching that line for over 20 years now. And it's barely no more true today than it was in 1994. There would have to be an exemption available down the road for collector cars or those of unusual historical interest. I don't see the 2020 Dodge Hellcats being put out to pasture by 2050 where they are illegal to drive on the roadways.

One of the reasons I moved away from my 1960's Mopar muscle cars 10-15 yrs ago was the "coming regulations." What happened? Nada. I was stupid for listening to the media.

Quote:
Just make it electric-only, and then use some form of non-contact recharging (hey, we're talking 30 years into the future, maybe it'll happen--or maybe your pet robot will plug in your car for you).

Some cell phones already have proximity charging. Lay the phone on the pad and it charges with no direct electrical contact.

My 2¢

I forsee two scenarios, either or both in play. Our current gasoline and diesel infrastructure is changed to CNG and LPG, and companies and/or government agencies start retrofitting preexisting machines to be either electric or hybrid electric/ICE units. I wouldn't mind running my Roadmaster off CNG or swapping in a hybrid or electric drive train.

Maybe where you live, but that would be a minor war around here... Collector cars, hobby cars, race cars (and boats, and motorcycles) will still have internal combustion engines. Old tractors and trucks will still be working. Some as hobby toys, most as working tools. They'll still have engines.

Over the road trucking pulling 80,000 lbs or maybe 100,000 will still use some form of engine as batteries will be just starting to equal power density of liquid fuel. And the buy-in cost will be astronomical.

All of rural USA will still be on internal combustion, or hybrid ...

You could maybe third-rail the interstates so that city to city trucking could go electric. But local delivery will by with internal combustion.

Do you really think you will scrap all the built refining and fueling infrastructure of transportation in 25 years? I seriously doubt it ... I doubt we'll scrap 10% by then ...

Of course not! How will Main Force Patrol vainly attempt to police the post-apocalyptic outback without them?!?
mad_max_cars2.jpg

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno

Maybe where you live, but that would be a minor war around here... Collector cars, hobby cars, race cars (and boats, and motorcycles) will still have internal combustion engines. Old tractors and trucks will still be working. Some as hobby toys, most as working tools. They'll still have engines.

Over the road trucking pulling 80,000 lbs or maybe 100,000 will still use some form of engine as batteries will be just starting to equal power density of liquid fuel. And the buy-in cost will be astronomical.

All of rural USA will still be on internal combustion, or hybrid ...

You could maybe third-rail the interstates so that city to city trucking could go electric. But local delivery will by with internal combustion.

Do you really think you will scrap all the built refining and fueling infrastructure of transportation in 25 years? I seriously doubt it ... I doubt we'll scrap 10% by then ...

+1

It'll happen, just not quickly... steam -to- internal combustion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back