Is this tire repair ok (pic attached)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I measured the plug at 7mm at the top. Maximum recommended repairable hole is 6.35mm, so I suppose it could have been within the limit when they began the repair.

Is the material around the plug normal?

Looks good to me, material around the plug is likely vulcanizing compound. The hole could still be under 6.35mm the plug isn't compressed above the hole. I had a repair in the exact same spot that held for the remaining 25,000 miles I had the tires in service with zero issues. I'd run it with confidence.

That sure looks like an RMA-approved patch plug. Looks fine to me, although the real business parts are on the inside of the tire.

Part of most tire repairs is reaming the hole out the size needed for the plug, so I wouldn't fret.

Thanks guys, appreciate the quick feedback!

Yes it's been several weeks and the pressure has held up fine.

In a way, I got lucky. I picked up the bolt less than half a mile from home and it had a built in washer so I heard it straight away because the bolt head was proud of the tread. Took the tire off next morning and off to America's Tire. I was due a rotation anyway so had that done as well.

It would have been very annoying if it was not repairable. There was hardly any wear on this rear tire after 8000 miles.

The last one like that I had was repaired at Sears in Key West, Florida......I drove it home to Ohio at 75mph and then another 14,000 miles until I got new tires.

A friend offered me the used, super wide tires from his BMW. I'd give 'em to a guy I know who sells used tires.

One was trashed (prompting the retiring of the car) and the other three looked pretty good "depth-of-tread wise".

One had 7 plugs like yours in it and was doing fine.

My guy got 2 tires. Kira

You can do these repairs very easily at home with a $3 tire plug repair kit from Walmart. Just remove the nail or screw with a pliers or screwdriver. Ream out the hole with the reamer. Thread the plug through the needle and dip it in a can of tire patch solvent/glue (also from Walmart for $3). Then insert the plug and quickly remove the needle. Cut off any excess plug with a utility knife.

I can't count the number of tires I have repaired with these excellent plugs. And I have never, ever had any leak or problem of any kind with the repair. Only for tread punctures, not for sidewalls.

Originally Posted By: NibbanaBanana
You can do these repairs very easily at home with a $3 tire plug repair kit from Walmart. Just remove the nail or screw with a pliers or screwdriver. Ream out the hole with the reamer. Thread the plug through the needle and dip it in a can of tire patch solvent/glue (also from Walmart for $3). Then insert the plug and quickly remove the needle. Cut off any excess plug with a utility knife.

The OP mentioned he had the tire repaired at America's Tire which fixes flats for free. No need to even pay the $6 at Walmart.

Originally Posted By: NibbanaBanana

I can't count the number of tires I have repaired with these excellent plugs. And I have never, ever had any leak or problem of any kind with the repair. Only for tread punctures, not for sidewalls.

Exactly. I've been preparing tires at home for eons.

I'm no tire plug hater. They can and do work.

However, they're clearly not the best type of tire repair. The combination patch/plug is a better repair and it gives an opportunity to inspect the inside of the tire. The tire industry trade group, the RMA, says only patch/plugs should be used and rope plugs should not be used.

So, people advocating in this thread for plugging them at home need to take that into account.

Originally Posted By: stephen9666
I'm no tire plug hater. They can and do work.

However, they're clearly not the best type of tire repair. The combination patch/plug is a better repair and it gives an opportunity to inspect the inside of the tire. The tire industry trade group, the RMA, says only patch/plugs should be used and rope plugs should not be used.

So, people advocating in this thread for plugging them at home need to take that into account.

I agree that patch plugs are best, however the do it yourself plugs are a great item to have in your trunk if you get stuck somewhere with a punctured tire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back