2001 Toyota Codes PO446,PO1135,PO441,PO440,PO1155

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend of mine has a 2001 Toyota Avalon v6 3.0 that was sitting for about a year Car is not in my possession now but he said it runs well.. My friend scanned it because the check engine light is on and so is the VSC and VSC off light. The codes that he said came up when he scanned it were PO446,PO1135,PO441,PO440,P1155

He said it ran well with no codes when he parked it in his driveway but when he came back from being deployed he had these codes.. Any ideas?

Yeah, fill it up with some 93 octane, change the oil, clear the codes and give it an Italian tune up and at least 100 miles of hot freeway driving. Then re-assess.

Oh yeah...make sure the gas cap is on tight.

Last edited:
The problem is combination of things. On one hand you have burrs inside the oil filter. Not to mention the filter is probably wayyy too restrictive. Then you have the oil itself that must have come from leaky jugs, so it was contaminated before it even hit the sump. Fortunately the fix is simple, put in some Mobil1 and a Fram ultra. Hey there might still be a rebate on Mobil products.

After changing the oil unplug the battery to reset the computer. Once its powered up again drive it hard to blow out the cobwebs. Good luck.

I know im leaning toward the evap canister and maybe a sensor problem i don't have the car close by he lives about 500 or so miles away but i really want to help him like i said he just came back from being deployed and he is not doing so good.

Evap and two different o2 sensors. Look for a common ground or wiring connection? It would be good to check the actual data feed.

He needs to put some miles on it, unplug the battery to reset the codes. Check wiring as said for rodent damage. Once it gets some stuff run through it it might clear itself out.

Purge valve is fairly common. So is a rusted filler neck. Techron fuel system cleaner sometimes works. Slam a few bottles in

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
I know im leaning toward the evap canister and maybe a sensor problem i don't have the car close by he lives about 500 or so miles away but i really want to help him like i said he just came back from being deployed and he is not doing so good.
The codes give you an area which t trouble shoot. Don't start changing parts until you know what if any parts need changing . As mentioned it could be wiring etc.

I talked to him today hopefully he can bring the car here around Christmas and i will take care of it for him.. It's not so easy helping with something over the phone.. He is also tight for cash so he can't change parts and hope for the best.

I'm thinking that he must be having trouble adding gas? Also I wonder if when he fills and the pump shuts off he tries to add a little more and a little more... Had this discussion in another forum. For whatever reason that era Toyota evap system can be hurt by stuffing the tank.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
I'm thinking that he must be having trouble adding gas? Also I wonder if when he fills and the pump shuts off he tries to add a little more and a little more... Had this discussion in another forum. For whatever reason that era Toyota evap system can be hurt by stuffing the tank.

Check for leaks between the EVAP module and the fuel tank. Check the filler pipe. Modern fuel nozzles use the expelled air/vapor in the tank flowing to a "pitot tube" in the nozzle's tip to allow fuel to fill the tank. Any leakage within the vapor hoses can cause this to happen. Stuck refueling/fresh air valves can also cause vapor flow back to the filler pipe to be obstructed.

Do you smell gas in the cargo or passenger compartment?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back