How long for this engine to be broken in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a car with a fresh professionally built engine. It's a 1969 Pontiac 461 stroker, a Butler Performance kit. It was assembled by a local race shop for the previous owner in TX. They did 2 or 3 pulls on the engine dyno and now it has 100-150 miles on it since being installed into the car.

I looked up the Butler kit and it uses Total Seal rings, so I don't think they are moly rings. The block had ALL the prep options done to it going by the paperwork. It's .030" over with a proper machine shop cylinder hone. After the initial cam break in (it's a hydraulic flat tappet) and engine dyno pulls (not sure what break in oil was used) it was then filled with Brad Penn 15w40 according to the paperwork. The engine is carbureted but since it was engine dyno tuned I don't expect it to be running so rich that it will have an adverse affect on the cylinder wear.

I am flying to Texas on Monday to drive the car back to CA, so the engine will has just over 2,000 miles by the time I get her home.

My question: Is that enough miles that you would feel 100% great about switching over to Redline? Or would you wait until how many miles, 3,000? More?

Thanks!!!

Alex

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bioburner
Ask the shop-builder?

The engine was completed last year so I didn't want to bother him, he does ALLOT of engines. So I figured I'd ask here.

Originally Posted By: 92GTA
I am flying to Texas on Monday to drive the car back to CA, so the engine will has just over 2,000 miles by the time I get her home.

My question: Is that enough miles that you would feel 100% great about switching over to Redline? Or would you wait until how many miles, 3,000? More?

Thanks!!!

Alex
Though this is an older engine, there are plenty of factory cars that have a synthetic in them as the OEM fill. Considering it has had 2 or 3 pulls on the engine and you will put about 2K miles on it on your trip, I would say that is enough miles to switch to a synthetic (not sure I would use Redline, but that is a different discussion). I would vary my speeds frequently on the trip (no steady speeds), coast from 75 down to 40 numerous times (to increase the vacuum on the rings thus helping them seat in), and drain it when I reached CA.

BTW - what car is it? Oh and enjoy the ride (hit Route 66 when you can).

Engines break in no matter which oil is used it has to if you understand the wear in process. Run the oil of your Choice now. Putting a load on the engine will be good.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
I would vary my speeds frequently on the trip (no steady speeds), coast from 75 down to 40 numerous times (to increase the vacuum on the rings thus helping them seat in), and drain it when I reached CA.

BTW - what car is it? Oh and enjoy the ride (hit Route 66 when you can).

For sure, not even close to my first break-in rodeo lol!

A 1969 Firebird. I'm actually going to avoid R66, too many people told me how fragmented it was this side of Texas. I don't feel like trying to hunt down where the bits of R66 are off the I40 and even then, most of those parts are original from what I've read too
smirk.gif

Originally Posted By: CT8
Engines break in no matter which oil is used it has to if you understand the wear in process. Run the oil of your Choice now. Putting a load on the engine will be good.

I thought it took longer with certain grade synthetics tho? That a myth?

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
Call Butler. Why are you asking on a website?

Because they are closed right now, they didn't build the engine, I'm bored on the internet, and because I can. What's your problem?

Congratulations on your new Firebird. Following your road trip, provided it isn't consuming a significant quantity of oil I'd personally feel comfortable switching to a synthetic oil. Likely the rings are already as seated as they're going to be within reason following the dyno pulls. The road trip will finish off whatever the Dyno didn't.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
I'd say if the engine is not using any oil , the rings are seated.

Good point, I will be watching it carefully checking it at ever fuel fill up on the way and I have a quart of what's in it now for the trip.

Honestly tho, allot of these old engines just use a bit of oil no matter what anyway. Best I've ever seen is less than 1/2 quart every 3-4,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3
Congratulations on your new Firebird. Following your road trip, provided it isn't consuming a significant quantity of oil I'd personally feel comfortable switching to a synthetic oil. Likely the rings are already as seated as they're going to be within reason following the dyno pulls. The road trip will finish off whatever the Dyno didn't.

Cool, that was my thinking too.

I'll order up the oil and filter right now to change it soon as I'm home with her.

A 1969 Firebird.

Oh wow! SWEET car! A big pre-welcome to Texas! What part of Texas are you coming to?

Myth. I'll bet M1 is a better oil than any boutique syn on the market.

Myth.

Good to know! Thanks!

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
A 1969 Firebird.

Oh wow! SWEET car!

Thanks! Pics are in the link in my sig. Also pics of my old 93 Z, same color as yours
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
A 1969 Firebird.

Oh wow! SWEET car!

Thanks! Pics are in the link in my sig. Also pics of my old 93 Z, same color as yours
laugh.gif

BEAUTIFUL Z32 by the way!!
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: bioburner
Ask the shop-builder?

The engine was completed last year so I didn't want to bother him, he does ALLOT of engines. So I figured I'd ask here.

I'd still ask him. Nice car btw. Drive it in good health.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back