Budget TVs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Rand
IIRC when I was shopping for a TV in 2013:

What did you end up buying?

They are totally different now but a 65" Vizio M series

Sams club had them on for 250$ or so off.. and I got bestbuy to pricematch..

ended up around 650$ + about 18% back in gas(fuelperks) and CC cashback.

At the time they were around 900$ retail.

Originally Posted By: MuzzleFlash40

Walmart has a 50 inch sanyo 1080p 120hz refresh rate for $298 right now. I would've looked at it harder if we didn't want to stream Netflix on it.

You can stream Netflix via the $50 ROKU which makes more sense than to buy a "smart" tv which may not stay current with streaming technology. You probably knew that?

Originally Posted By: MCompact
I'm waiting for OLEDs to drop in price a bit more before I even consider replacing my Kuro Elite.

you will be hard pressed to get anything comparable to the kuro.
mine beats everything out there.
and i get to see lots of sets on my bench every week.

LCD TV's have come a long way since first introduced.
Prices have dropped and quality has gone up.
I have a 6 year old 40" Sony that still looks good.
I have a 3 year old Westinghouse 32" LED that I think looks better then the Sony.
I believe you cant buy a bad TV just a better one.
If you really read all the reviews on Walmart or Best Buys sites you will notice that the top tier brands get better reviews overall.

If you have a Meijers near you they have Vizio's on sale. There 43" smart LED is $329 and the 50" is $519 plus there's a $50 custom coupon at checkout.

Originally Posted By: kc8adu

you will be hard pressed to get anything comparable to the kuro.
mine beats everything out there.
and i get to see lots of sets on my bench every week.

I don't doubt it a bit; I got mine in 2008 and the picture quality is still stunning.

Buy any budget TV that you want, get the best price as you can, chances are very small you will have a problem with any TV. Most brands, LED Panels and electronics are made by a few companies, they are much like a commodity, factories pumping out flat panels distributed to TV makers.

There is NO way to know, who, what and where it is produced, Vizio included.
Vizio is no where near a "name brand" its a 3rd tier brand like the others made by some company in China. Translated, there is no company named Vizio, its a brand from a company in China. At one time, it was a company. (much like RCA or Zenith if anyone is old enough to remember that)

Anyway, treat them all the same and go for price if you wish, you will be fine.

With that said, you then have real companies, not that is any guarantee they are producing the product and not any guarantee it will be more reliable, but if you want a brand name, then companies like ...

Samsung, Panasonic, LG and Sony are name brands that actually produce products and for what it is worth some satisfaction you may be able to get service for the device should you need it.

So your choices are pay more for a name brand or go for the best price you can, really a personal decision as you can get caught with a lemon by any company, not just cheap brands.

Last edited:
Saturday I bought an Element 40 inch from Walmart. $149 plus $10 for extended warranty. For the money excellent. Watched the World series game last night over the air on Fox. Zero complaints.

Originally Posted By: alarmguy
Buy any budget TV that you want, get the best price as you can, chances are very small you will have a problem with any TV. Most brands, LED Panels and electronics are made by a few companies, they are much like a commodity, factories pumping out flat panels distributed to TV makers.

Vizio is no where near a "name brand" its a 3rd tier brand like the others made by some company in China. Translated, there is no company named Vizio, its a brand from a company in China. At one time, it was a company. (much like RCA or Zenith if anyone is old enough to remember that)

With that said, you then have real companies, not that is any guarantee they are producing the product and not any guarantee it will be more reliable, but if you want a brand name, then companies like ...

Samsung, Panasonic, LG and Sony are name brands that actually produce products and for what it is worth some satisfaction you may be able to get service for the device should you need it.

So your choices are pay more for a name brand or go for the best price you can, really a personal decision as you can get caught with a lemon by any company, not just cheap brands.

Well said. You know your stuff.

My strategy was to find the best of the cheaper TV's on reviewed on Cnet with the qualities I wanted, then wait for one of them to come up on sale. Since it's going to last for years/decades I thought I might as well spend the bit of extra money to get a known quality of TV. I ended up with a bright toshiba with a matte screen because of our multi windowed room, and with good static picture quality. Its not the greatest with fast movements but I'm ok with that.

Not sure where you get your info from,but your very far from being correct on Vizio. Vizio Inc. is an American privately held company that develops consumer electronics. Headquartered in Irvine, California, United States,

I wont even comment any further on your "name brands" because thats nothing but your opinion.

Originally Posted By: RazorsEdge

Not sure where you get your info from,but your very far from being correct on Vizio. Vizio Inc. is an American privately held company that develops consumer electronics. Headquartered in Irvine, California, United States,

I wont even comment any further on your "name brands" because thats nothing but your opinion.

Here are the facts,

"On July 26, 2016, Vizio CEO William Wang announced that Chinese technology company LeEco was acquiring Vizio in a US$2 billion deal, with plans to run the company as a wholly owned subsidiary. Inscape will be spin off and operate as a separate, privately owned company led by Wang.[11]"

Source - Source, click

New soon to be or already new owners ... Click

Originally Posted By: lancerplayer
Every Big Box store offers budget TVs. Are these worth purchasing? I see Vizio, HiSense, Westinghouse, Sceptere, Element, Insignia, Seiki, and TCL available.

I currently have a Toshiba LED 50" and I will never buy a Toshiba TV again. It is only 3 years old and has a an issue of randomly changing channels and has absolutely no tech support offered. When I call the help number, the automated recording clearly states they no longer offer support for TVs.

Feel free to provide your experience with budget TVs.

I have seen one thing lately that was quite surprising, and Vizio no less.
It was on sale and stated in the ad that the TV had no TV Tuner. more or less, out of the box will not get OTA signals.
So if you plan on OTA, make sure of whatever TV you are buying, as of right NOW, some Vizio TVs no longer have tuners. BTW, I have nothing against Vizio but some claiming them to be more then they are, well, the are not.
Source, Vizio TV with no tuners

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Warstud
I just seen an ad for a Vizio Smart Led TV that was 720P. Seems odd.

What size? For a smaller display, there may be no benefit to 1080p.

Not sure about Cable offerings, but at least for DirecTV and Dish, they are only broadcasting 1080p in PPV, DirecTV CINEMA, etc.

It's a 32". You say no benefit getting a 1080P?

It's a 32". You say no benefit getting a 1080P?

Are you going to be sitting less than about 6 feet from it? If not, then I'd say you'll be hard pressed to tell the difference between 720p and 1080p.

1435998009385243206.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back